The Wrestler

heartofcygnus

Heard nothing but good things about it.

It was playing at a little artsy theater around here but it's too hard to get tickets for the place and there were olny 2 showings a day.

I guess I'll have to wait for video.

i thought it was a great movie. not very conventional at all with how it all ends. Rourke was amazing, he actually looked like he could've been "real" wrestler from the 80's

Just saw it. A very good movie. Its too bad Micky dissapeared for so many years. He is a good actor. Edited by tick

He's already won a BAFTA award for this here in the UK the other night. I hate these award things normally but his speech was pretty funny and for once I'm glad to see someone get one of these awards, here's the video...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 10 2009, 04:43 PM)
He's already won a BAFTA award for this here in the UK the other night. I hate these award things normally but his speech was pretty funny and for once I'm glad to see someone get one of these awards, here's the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecQ-8HtyVaw

Good post!

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 10 2009, 05:28 PM)
Just saw it. A very good movie. Its too bad Micky dissapeared for so many years. He is a good actor.

He's one of my faves. I thought he was brilliant in Sin City. yes.gif I just think he's always brilliant. Except in 9.5 Weeks. Dumb movie. laugh.gif

I'd like to see this.

But Mickey freaks me out a bit - all the surgery he's had on his face has really made him look...odd.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 12 2009, 04:46 PM)
I'd like to see this.

But Mickey freaks me out a bit - all the surgery he's had on his face has really made him look...odd.

Unlike other Hollywood types (such as Lara Flynn Boyle) his surgery isn't cosmetic though, he had a lot of injuries, broken cheekbone, eye socket from boxing, mostly sparring against James Toney, which was pretty foolish of him but not as foolish as having cosmetic surgery.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 12 2009, 05:58 PM)
I'd like to see this.

Unlike other Hollywood types (such as Lara Flynn Boyle) his surgery isn't cosmetic though, he had a lot of injuries, broken cheekbone, eye socket from boxing, mostly sparring against James Toney, which was pretty foolish of him but not as foolish as having cosmetic surgery.

Well whatever it is, its scary. He too closely resembles Joan Rivers.

Saw it. There was a lot of hype surrounding this movie and my expectations were pretty high. I dont think they were quite met. I would categorize this movie as "very good" but not oscar worthy, and not in the league of Gran Torino or Slumdog Millionaire, but better than that Benjamin Button nonsense.

And Marisa Tomei looked HOT for whatever age she is...fans of hers will be very pleasantly surprised by this one... cool.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 12 2009, 03:58 PM)
I'd like to see this.

Right, I knew his reasons for having the surgery. Regardless, he looks weird.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Feb 12 2009, 06:14 PM)
Saw it. There was a lot of hype surrounding this movie and my expectations were pretty high. I dont think they were quite met. I would categorize this movie as "very good" but not oscar worthy, and not in the league of Gran Torino or Slumdog Millionaire, but better than that Benjamin Button nonsense.

And Marisa Tomei looked HOT for whatever age she is...fans of hers will be very pleasantly surprised by this one... cool.gif

I thought it was a great movie and think it deserved a best picture nomination. I actually enjoyed it more than Slumdog Millionaire, but not as much as Benjamin Button.

I don't know if Rourke will win as he faces some stiff competition, but if he does, it will be well deserved. For me with all the hype about his performance, I was watching it for awhile wondering why it's considered such a great performance until I realized how natural it was, how he completely embodied his character - there was no visible acting, almost like watching a documentary or something. And that's not even getting into the physical aspects of what he did.

Really though, an amazing performance and a pretty stellar movie IMHO...

and Marisa Tomei was new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif as well as being drool1.gif