The Owl

Which is the better show?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better show?

• South Park
    • Family Guy

Look at my avatar, and take a guess..... wink.gif

Matt Stone and Trey Parker > Seth McFarlane

I do have to give one edge to Family Guy however......... South Park has the benefit of being on cable......FG is on Fox........

South Park dose not have to deal with the censors like FG does........

I really like Family Guy but if you take both shows and fast forward to 30 years from now people will still think South Park is funny. Family Guy relies on nostalgia and 80's references too much- great for us now, but who's going to remember Rick Ashley in 30 years?*

*For example

I love both shows, and have many of the whole seasons of both programs on DVD. That said, I prefer South Park. When they hit the ball out of the park, nothing is funnier. I probably get more chuckles out of a Family Guy episode, but South Park has made me laugh so hard at times that I'm almost to the point of tears. I also find that McFarlane can get a tad pretentious at times.

I've seen exactly 1 episode of Family Guy, it was funny.

I've seen maybe 3 episodes of Southpark, (funny too) but haven't seen it in 8 years.

Modify the poll with a "Don't watch either".

Family Guy is funny sometimes but random flashbacks and stupidity get old after a while. South Park is better, more intelligent and usualy a completely different concept each time.

QUOTE (Alex @ Feb 11 2009, 09:56 PM)
Family Guy is funny sometimes but random flashbacks and stupidity get old after a while. South Park is better, more intelligent and usualy a completely different concept each time.

Take a page from the scrolls of King Troll: "Old Family Good, New Family Guy Bad". wink.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 14 2009, 09:39 AM)

Take a page from the scrolls of King Troll: "Old Family Good, New Family Guy Bad". wink.gif

laugh.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Alex @ Feb 15 2009, 09:26 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 14 2009, 09:39 AM)

laugh.gif applaudit.gif

I stick by it, too! I don't feel like saying it again, but to get my full opinion on this, except explained much more in-depth, see my long-ass post in the Family Guy thread. That's pretty much my opinion.

I know that a lot of people refer to Family Guy as "derivative and unimaginative", but that's somewhat the point. Alex Borstein mentioned in the Family Guy season 4 dvd how people come home from work, and can just watch a half-hour of nothing. I have to agree there.

I know the flashbacks can get old, but in the earlier episodes (and a select few newer ones), they stayed with one (or, in some cases, two) storyline, and then added the flashbacks. With most new episodes, it's more like a bunch of unrelated flashbacks. I prefer the storyline episodes much more than the flashback episodes, but that's just me.

South Park, IMO, seems to be more edgy - sometimes, it seems, they want to say f**k twenty times in an episode - but when they make a great episode, it is great. Case in point: the "Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls" episode. That is my favorite episode of South Park.

Something that's nagged me - why would Issac Hayes (may he rest in peace) leave the show after they made fun of Scientology, when the purpose of South Park is to make fun of everyone (especially when Stone and Parker are equal opportunity offenders)?

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 15 2009, 04:01 PM)
Something that's nagged me - why would Issac Hayes (may he rest in peace) leave the show after they made fun of Scientology, when the purpose of South Park is to make fun of everyone (especially when Stone and Parker are equal opportunity offenders)?

Isaac Hayes is a scientologist

QUOTE (yaoi_myantidrug @ Feb 15 2009, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 15 2009, 04:01 PM)

Isaac Hayes is a scientologist

And scientologists are very sensitive.