2008 Oscar nominations announced

Rushian King

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jan 25 2009, 08:20 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 25 2009, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 25 2009, 04:16 AM)
My top 15 of the year:

Milk
Frost/Nixon
The Wrestler
Doubt
Let The Right One In
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Class
Wall-E
I've Loved You So Long
The Dark Knight
Revolutionary Road
Waltz With Bashir
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire
Rachel Getting Married

So, needless to say, I don't exactly agree with the Academy's choices. laugh.gif

I wouldn't say that. You've named a bunch of films which have been recognized with nominations.

Yep.

Has anyone seen Slumdog Millionaire? I had never heard of this movie prior to the Golden Globes. Is it really that good?

Yes

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 25 2009, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jan 25 2009, 09:20 AM)
My top 15 of the year:

Milk
Frost/Nixon
The Wrestler
Doubt
Let The Right One In
The Class
Wall-E
I've Loved You So Long
The Dark Knight
Revolutionary Road
Waltz With Bashir
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire
Rachel Getting Married

So, needless to say, I don't exactly agree with the Academy's choices. laugh.gif

I wouldn't say that. You've named a bunch of films which have been recognized with nominations.

Yep.

Has anyone seen Slumdog Millionaire? I had never heard of this movie prior to the Golden Globes. Is it really that good?

I'm going to go see it in about an hour - I'll give my take on it l8r on...

I thought it was great - not at all what I expected. no.gif

Was it my favorite film of the year? I have to give it more thought, but probably not. I enjoyed Synechdoche, New York and especially The Curious Case of Benjamin Button more. Still, a great movie and well worth watching - very intense and fascinating. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 25 2009, 09:01 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 25 2009, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jan 25 2009, 09:20 AM)
My top 15 of the year:

Milk
Frost/Nixon
The Wrestler
Doubt
Let The Right One In
The Class
Wall-E
I've Loved You So Long
The Dark Knight
Revolutionary Road
Waltz With Bashir
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire
Rachel Getting Married

Yep.

I'm going to go see it in about an hour - I'll give my take on it l8r on...

I thought it was great - not at all what I expected. no.gif

Was it my favorite film of the year? I have to give it more thought, but probably not. I enjoyed Synechdoche, New York and especially The Curious Case of Benjamin Button more. Still, a great movie and well worth watching - very intense and fascinating. yes.gif

I'll give it a watch. May wait until it comes out on video. The story line sounds interesting.

Well if the Screen Actors Guild awards are any indication (and they should be since many of the same actors vote for both awards), then these will probably be the Oscar winners:

Male Actor in a Leading Role - Sean Penn (Milk)

Male Actor in a Supporting Role - Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)

Female Actor in a Leading Role - Meryl Streep (Doubt) OR Kate Winslet (The Reader) (Winslet won the SAG for supporting but the role is nominated for lead at the Oscars)

This leaves the supporting female category pretty wide open. Penelope Cruz seemed to have the inside track early on but Streep's win could be seen as general support for Doubt and could lead to Davis winning as well. Tomei (the Academy vindicating themselves for her win for My Cousin Vinny) and Adams (the Academy showing they're not afraid to give awards to new/young people) also have a shot.

The only one I'd consider a true upset/shock if she won would be Hensen. I'm getting the feeling her loss will be one of many for Benjamin Button.

My Oscar predictions (though I think the whole awards thing is a tiresome joke and really doesn't matter)

Best Picture: Slumlord Millionaire

Best Actor: Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler)

Best Actress: Kate Winslet (The Reader)

Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)

Best Supporting Actress: Amy Adams (Doubt)

Best Director: Danny Boyle (Slumlord Millionaire)

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jan 25 2009, 12:20 PM)
My top 15 of the year:

Milk
Frost/Nixon
The Wrestler
Doubt
Let The Right One In
The Class
Wall-E
I've Loved You So Long
The Dark Knight
Revolutionary Road
Waltz With Bashir
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire
Rachel Getting Married

Yep.

No

God I Hate Sean Penn - I refuse to watch any of his movies until he learns to shut his big trap and not bash millions of peoples belief's and ideologies - Who appointed him spokesman for the world? Too tell me and my family we should feel shamed proves that he is nothing but a pompous a- hole

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Feb 23 2009, 01:14 AM)
God I Hate Sean Penn - I refuse to watch any of his movies until he learns to shut his big trap and not bash millions of peoples belief's and ideologies - Who appointed him spokesman for the world? Too tell me and my family we should feel shamed proves that he is nothing but a pompous a- hole

He might be the best actor in America right now. Look at the difference between, say, "I Am Sam" and his grief scenes in "Mystic River." He can be a bit too serious, volatile, and humorless in everyday life, but he's an amazing talent.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 21 2009, 07:45 PM)
My Oscar predictions (though I think the whole awards thing is a tiresome joke and really doesn't matter)

Best Picture: Slumlord Millionaire

Best Actor: Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler)

Best Actress: Kate Winslet (The Reader)

Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)

Best Supporting Actress: Amy Adams (Doubt)

Best Director: Danny Boyle (Slumlord Millionaire)

4 out of 6...not bad cool.gif

My top 15 of the year:

Milk
Frost/Nixon
The Wrestler
Doubt
Let The Right One In
The Class
Wall-E
I've Loved You So Long
The Dark Knight
Revolutionary Road
Waltz With Bashir
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire
Rachel Getting Married

That must be sarcasm ? unsure.gif

I did not know Richard Jenkins was nominated for best actor till last night. I saw the visitor last week and thought it was quite good indeed.

Other then that movie, The Wrestler and Dark Knight were the only two nominated that I saw.(I think ?)

I will catch up as they all make there way to DVD.

I'm really curious about Benjamin Button ?(pun intended)because I have heard those here say it was incredible, and I have also heard it was walk out of the theater awefull. Thats quite a difference in opinion, so I will watch it for myself and see what I think. confused13.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 23 2009, 09:41 AM)
God I Hate Sean Penn - I refuse to watch any of his movies until he learns to shut his big trap and not bash millions of peoples belief's and ideologies -  Who appointed him spokesman for the world?  Too tell me and my family we should feel shamed proves that he is nothing but a pompous a- hole

He might be the best actor in America right now. Look at the difference between, say, "I Am Sam" and his grief scenes in "Mystic River." He can be a bit too serious, volatile, and humorless in everyday life, but he's an amazing talent.

But hes a giant douchebag and sometimes that gets in the way smile.gif [i agree with your assessment]

Of course Woody married his stepdaughter and I seem to have no problem with that....

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 24 2009, 10:51 PM)
God I Hate Sean Penn - I refuse to watch any of his movies until he learns to shut his big trap and not bash millions of peoples belief's and ideologies -  Who appointed him spokesman for the world?  Too tell me and my family we should feel shamed proves that he is nothing but a pompous a- hole

But hes a giant douchebag and sometimes that gets in the way smile.gif [i agree with your assessment]

Of course Woody married his stepdaughter and I seem to have no problem with that....

Ugh. I always thought Woody was kinda creepy, and that particular incident just confirmed it for me. They're still together, though, so there must be something to it.

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 24 2009, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 24 2009, 10:51 PM)

Ugh. I always thought Woody was kinda creepy, and that particular incident just confirmed it for me. They're still together, though, so there must be something to it.

He is creepy smile.gif Yeah, sopemthing to it, but once upon he took her and the fam on vacation when she was a little girl and he was 40.... unsure.gif

I was SO waiting for Jen Aniston to swan dive off the stage into Ang Jolie, but it didn't happen. unsure.gif unsure.gif

I'm sure the guys would have loved that -

Oh well, maybe next year... popcorn.gif popcorn.gif popcorn.gif

I wonder who would win???

QUOTE (librarian @ Feb 25 2009, 10:27 AM)
I was SO waiting for Jen Aniston to swan dive off the stage into Ang Jolie, but it didn't happen. unsure.gif unsure.gif

Oh well, maybe next year... popcorn.gif popcorn.gif popcorn.gif

Obviously Angelina would totally kick Jen's ass. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 25 2009, 12:39 PM)
I was SO waiting for Jen Aniston to swan dive off the stage into Ang Jolie, but it didn't happen.  unsure.gif  unsure.gif

Oh well, maybe next year... popcorn.gif  popcorn.gif  popcorn.gif

Definitely Jolie. She's a wild untamed stallion and Aniston is a trained pony at the petting zoo.

BTW, I'm waiting to hear the news that Aniston has attempted suicide. All that talk in the tabloids for the past few years about how upset she is over the Brad breakup... if there's a shred of truth to it, she must be really depressed by now. No beau, no acting work, and no public statements of any kind being made. I think she's lost.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 26 2009, 03:31 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 25 2009, 12:39 PM)
I was SO waiting for Jen Aniston to swan dive off the stage into Ang Jolie, but it didn't happen.  unsure.gif  unsure.gif

Oh well, maybe next year... popcorn.gif  popcorn.gif  popcorn.gif

Definitely Jolie. She's a wild untamed stallion and Aniston is a trained pony at the petting zoo.

BTW, I'm waiting to hear the news that Aniston has attempted suicide. All that talk in the tabloids for the past few years about how upset she is over the Brad breakup... if there's a shred of truth to it, she must be really depressed by now. No beau, no acting work, and no public statements of any kind being made. I think she's lost.

Can I assume you're kidding, and don't actually believe what you read about Jennifer Aniston and other celebrities in the supermarket tabloids?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/2723120195_60deafd5c1.jpg

BTW, Aniston is currently starring in "He's Just Not That Into You," which opened recently and is doing pretty good business. Plus, she's cuter than Jolie, who looks like a skank.