2008 Oscar nominations announced

Rushian King

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than a Heath nom Dark Knight shut out of the major awards. Not really that surprising. I thought it might get picture OR director but not both. The Academy might be setting up the Batman franchise the same as it did with the LOTR trilogy. Lots of noms in the special categories but wait until the third installment to decide whether to mete out noms for the big awards.

Although I haven't seen either of what were consistently rated among 2 of the best films (let alone animated films) of the year, Wall-E and Waltz With Bashir, they both did get nominated in second-tier picture categories.

Happy that Tomei got nominated along with Rourke for The Wrestler.

Although I liked Benjamin Button and thought Pitt did well in it, I'm not sure he deserved a nom.

Disappointed the Canadian film that was short-listed for foreign pic didn't make the final cut.

Edited by Rushian King

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jan 22 2009, 11:53 AM)
Other than a Heath nom Dark Knight shut out of the major awards. Not really that surprising. I thought it might get picture OR director but not both. The Academy might be setting up the Batman franchise the same as it did with the LOTR trilogy. Lots of noms in the special categories but wait until the third installment to decide whether to mete out noms for the big awards.

no.gif I wouldn't count on that. Be content that Heath Ledger wasn't overlooked for his Joker role. But know that that's the most the Academy will give this francise, outside of the technical awards. Films like "Batman" get tech awards for FX and (maybe) art direction, but don't usually get nominations for acting, directing, and picture. The Batman francise isn't an epic, a drama, or a "message" movie... so it'll get bupkis.

Hell, even "Return of the King," which swept that year, didn't win any awards for acting. Ditto "Titanic."

The supporting actor/actress categories are the only places where you might see non-dramatic roles get nominations... and sometimes even wins, like Kevin Kline for "Wanda" and Marisa Tomei for "My Cousin Vinny." So Ledger gets nominated there.

I didn't see half of these, but the nerd in me wants to beat whoever didn't put Hellboy II in the running for "Best Achievement in Visual Effects". Guillermo del Toro is in a league of his own with makeup/effects/creativity. I don't know if I've ever seen a cooler looking movie actually. That scene with the baby forest god in the city was mind blowing.

Otherwise, Rourke FTW!

Edited by Storm Shadow

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 22 2009, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 22 2009, 12:45 PM)
I'm sick of Ron Howard getting nominations and awards.  The man is a hack.

Aside from "Apollo 13" and "A Beautiful Mind," I agree with you.

"Parenthood" is one of my absolute favorite movies. Yep, "Apollo 13," too.

Personally, I don't think his record is all that bad as a director. Some duds, sure ("Far and Away," "Backdraft," and "The Paper" all sucked cheese), but some good ones, too:

Night Shift

Cocoon

Parenthood

Apollo 13

Ransom

A Beautiful Mind

The DaVinci Code

And some people would add "Splash" and "Willow" to that list, but I've never seen either one.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jan 22 2009, 09:53 AM)
The Academy might be setting up the Batman franchise the same as it did with the LOTR trilogy. Lots of noms in the special categories but wait until the third installment to decide whether to mete out noms for the big awards.

Actually, the first two LOTR movies got nominated for best picture, they just didn't win that award until the 3rd movie. Peter Jackson was nominated for the first movie and won for the 3rd movie.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 22 2009, 03:57 PM)

Personally, I don't think his record is all that bad as a director. Some duds, sure ("Far and Away," "Backdraft," and "The Paper" all sucked cheese), but some good ones, too:

Night Shift

Cocoon

Parenthood

Apollo 13

Ransom

A Beautiful Mind

The DaVinci Code

And some people would add "Splash" and "Willow" to that list, but I've never seen either one.

i love NIGHT SHIFT

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 22 2009, 04:38 PM)

Night Shift

Cocoon

Parenthood

Apollo 13

Ransom

A Beautiful Mind

The DaVinci Code

i love NIGHT SHIFT

1022.gif

yes.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Jan 22 2009, 04:57 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 22 2009, 04:38 PM)

Night Shift

Cocoon

Parenthood

Apollo 13

Ransom

A Beautiful Mind

The DaVinci Code

i love NIGHT SHIFT

1022.gif

yes.gif trink39.gif

Gotta throw some love in Night Shift's direction. biggrin.gif

Also can't believe Hellboy II wasn't nominated for visual effects.

Night Shift

Cocoon

Parenthood

Apollo 13

Ransom

A Beautiful Mind

The DaVinci Code

Hacks make good movies from time to time. I enjoyed Apollo 13 very much. I also like Parenthood and Night Shift is not without its charms.

My main gripe with Ron Howard is the liberties he takes with facts. The man has no problem whatsoever changing historical fact whether the fact is major or insignificant.

I also find him visually challenged and very unimaginative in his direction. He's very derivative. I doubt an original thought ever entered his mind when directing.

Basically, he's an artisan and not an artist.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jan 22 2009, 03:56 PM)
I didn't see half of these, but the nerd in me wants to beat whoever didn't put Hellboy II in the running for "Best Achievement in Visual Effects". Guillermo del Toro is in a league of his own with makeup/effects/creativity. I don't know if I've ever seen a cooler looking movie actually. That scene with the baby forest god in the city was mind blowing.

Otherwise, Rourke FTW!

Haven't seen Hellboy but CCOBB seems to have been an unstoppable force when it came to nominations.

Only 3 noms in the category, not sure why they don't have 5 even if it's deemed a minor category. Would it hurt to have given a couple other flicks noms?

Rourke AND Tomei FTW! (Rourke has a shot, Tomei not so much)

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 22 2009, 04:57 PM)
Personally, I don't think his record is all that bad as a director.  Some duds, sure ("Far and Away," "Backdraft," "The Paper," and "The DaVinci Code" all sucked cheese), but some good ones, too:

Night Shift
Cocoon
Parenthood
Apollo 13
Ransom
A Beautiful Mind

I fixed your post for you, you put one title in the wrong spot. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jan 22 2009, 10:21 PM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jan 22 2009, 03:56 PM)

Otherwise, Rourke FTW!

Haven't seen Hellboy but CCOBB seems to have been an unstoppable force when it came to nominations.

Only 3 noms in the category, not sure why they don't have 5 even if it's deemed a minor category. Would it hurt to have given a couple other flicks noms?

Rourke AND Tomei FTW! (Rourke has a shot, Tomei not so much)

I dunno, Tomei won for My Cousin Vinny and I thought it was crazy she was even nominated, much less won. I mean, she was great in that movie, yeah, but it hardly seemed like an Academy Award kind of role or performance. You just never know who will win these things.

Anyway, Mickey Rourke won the Golden Globe and all reviews of his performance have been stellar, so he's got a helluva chance at it, even considering who he's up against. The Wrestler just got to my town today, so I'm sure I'll be seeing it soon, along with Slumdog Millionaire, Frost/Nixon, Revolutionary Road, etc. Man, I have a lot of catching up to do! unsure.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jan 22 2009, 02:56 PM)

Otherwise, Rourke FTW!

You are right on with your comments about DelToro. The man's a genius and deserves to be recognized for his work (beyond just nominations, that is).

My top 15 of the year:

Milk

Frost/Nixon

The Wrestler

Doubt

Let The Right One In

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The Class

Wall-E

I've Loved You So Long

The Dark Knight

Revolutionary Road

Waltz With Bashir

The Reader

Slumdog Millionaire

Rachel Getting Married

So, needless to say, I don't exactly agree with the Academy's choices. laugh.gif

QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 25 2009, 04:16 AM)
My top 15 of the year:

Milk
Frost/Nixon
The Wrestler
Doubt
Let The Right One In
The Class
Wall-E
I've Loved You So Long
The Dark Knight
Revolutionary Road
Waltz With Bashir
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire
Rachel Getting Married

So, needless to say, I don't exactly agree with the Academy's choices. laugh.gif

I wouldn't say that. You've named a bunch of films which have been recognized with nominations.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 25 2009, 10:46 AM)
My top 15 of the year:

Milk
Frost/Nixon
The Wrestler
Doubt
Let The Right One In
The Class
Wall-E
I've Loved You So Long
The Dark Knight
Revolutionary Road
Waltz With Bashir
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire
Rachel Getting Married

I wouldn't say that. You've named a bunch of films which have been recognized with nominations.

Yep.

Has anyone seen Slumdog Millionaire? I had never heard of this movie prior to the Golden Globes. Is it really that good?

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jan 25 2009, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 25 2009, 10:46 AM)
My top 15 of the year:

Milk
Frost/Nixon
The Wrestler
Doubt
Let The Right One In
The Class
Wall-E
I've Loved You So Long
The Dark Knight
Revolutionary Road
Waltz With Bashir
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire
Rachel Getting Married

Yep.

Has anyone seen Slumdog Millionaire? I had never heard of this movie prior to the Golden Globes. Is it really that good?

I'm going to go see it in about an hour - I'll give my take on it l8r on...