Slumdog Millionaire

rushgoober

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2009, 12:16 PM)
Hype!! Another case of the king's clothes from what I've seen...

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Another case of putting down a movie without actually having seen it from what I've seen...

wink.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 3 2009, 02:24 PM)

Another case of putting down a movie without actually having seen it from what I've seen...

wink.gif

Well actually I'm commenting on the fact that you're talking it up Goobs and you've not seen it either, all you have is "the buzz" which I say is hype...

biggrin.gif

I've heard really good things about it from guys like Steven King and Howard Stern...but then I also heard a couple of not-so-great things from a couple people.

Here's a wikipedia link...skip top the bottom....check out all the awards it's won, or been nominated for!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slumdog_millionare

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2009, 03:31 PM)

wink.gif

Well actually I'm commenting on the fact that you're talking it up Goobs and you've not seen it either, all you have is "the buzz" which I say is hype...

biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif I mean, really... who cares what critics say?

From what I saw, it looks okay, but I won't go to see it until it's on my dish. And even then... only maybe.

I could give a rat's ass what any paid critic thinks. I've yet to read a review that was spot on. But if you need a shepherd to influence you... then BAAAAAAAA away. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 3 2009, 06:35 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2009, 03:31 PM)

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif I mean, really... who cares what critics say?

From what I saw, it looks okay, but I won't go to see it until it's on my dish. And even then... only maybe.

I could give a rat's ass what any paid critic thinks. I've yet to read a review that was spot on. But if you need a shepherd to influence you... then BAAAAAAAA away. laugh.gif

I find that I completely disagree with the critics around 80% of the time. I know their hearts are in the right place, but I find them to be a bunch of pretentious bores.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2009, 12:31 PM)

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Fair enough, but I can't wait! no.gif biggrin.gif

the movie won the golden globe for best picture and it STILL hasn't come to my area yet! angry.gif

well, hopefully now that it has the extra boost of good press they'll do a much wider release this week-end... unsure.gif

has anyone been able to see this yet? confused13.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 13 2009, 10:01 AM)
the movie won the golden globe for best picture and it STILL hasn't come to my area yet!  angry.gif

well, hopefully now that it has the extra boost of good press they'll do a much wider release this week-end...  unsure.gif

has anyone been able to see this yet?  confused13.gif

I had a chance to see it for free when it played and won the (people's vote, not critics) festival here. I didn't go. I could point you to a site that probably has it for free if you really can't wait to see it.....

When I was in line for another movie during the festival director Danny Boyle and the 2 main stars came out through a side entrance after a screening. People started asking for autgraphs and pictures. I was like whoTF is it? Then I saw someone come up to him so he could sign her Sunshine (his last movie) DVD. I was sitting on the side of a flower planter at the time. Boyle stopped right in front of me. His @ss was like, inches away from my face. Not sure if it's one of my alltime fave moments from the festival. unsure.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jan 13 2009, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 13 2009, 10:01 AM)
the movie won the golden globe for best picture and it STILL hasn't come to my area yet!  angry.gif

well, hopefully now that it has the extra boost of good press they'll do a much wider release this week-end...  unsure.gif

has anyone been able to see this yet?  confused13.gif

I had a chance to see it for free when it played and won the (people's vote, not critics) festival here. I didn't go. I could point you to a site that probably has it for free if you really can't wait to see it.....

laugh.gif

Thanks, I'll wait till it shows up and see it all proper and stuff.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jan 13 2009, 11:56 AM)
When I was in line for another movie during the festival director Danny Boyle and the 2 main stars came out through a side entrance after a screening. People started asking for autgraphs and pictures. I was like whoTF is it? Then I saw someone come up to him so he could sign her Sunshine (his last movie) DVD. I was sitting on the side of a flower planter at the time. Boyle stopped right in front of me. His @ss was like, inches away from my face. Not sure if it's one of my alltime fave moments from the festival.

I'll probably never get as close to Danny Boyle's ass as you did, but I'm really ok with that. yes.gif unsure.gif

Finally it came to my town! We tried to see it once but the line was too long (we saw Revolutionary Road instead which was really great), and finally got to see it. Very intense and interesting movie! When I saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I knew that would enter my list of top 50 movies of all time. When I saw Synechoche, New York I thought that might also, but it would take awhile and at least one more viewing before I made that decision. Slumdog Millionaire would NOT make my top 50, but it's still great and well worth watching...

I've heard nothing but great things about it from people I know. Screw the critics. What qualifies them as the arbiters of opinion anyway? Because they see a lot of movies?

I have also heard that this movie will put the blocks to any ideas you may have about going to India on vacation.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 25 2009, 10:50 PM)
I've heard nothing but great things about it from people I know. Screw the critics. What qualifies them as the arbiters of opinion anyway? Because they see a lot of movies?

I have also heard that this movie will put the blocks to any ideas you may have about going to India on vacation.

True, true, and true. laugh.gif

I just saw it with my girlfriend last night. We both thought it was great, and my girlfriend - whose first language is Urdu - was quite pleased at being able to understand all of the dialogue in the film without having to read the subtitles. smile.gif

i didn't like it very much. i thought it was an overrated cidade de deus ripoff that didn't have the guts to be as real as cidade. sometimes it's very real and depressing and then it's a fairy tale where the main character chases after the girl he thinks he loves (he seems to love her because she's the only female character in the movie).

imo, milk and the wrestler were much better (especially the wrestler).

Let's keep this simple: I'm not interested in this film because first of all I'm not interested at all in the Indian version of the quiz show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire." I'm also not interested in the UK version or the US version either, nor the martian or saturnian versions if they're out there. So seeing a film about it really doesn't perk my interest in the slightest, in fact I don't want to see anything that reminds me of that show ever again.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 1 2009, 02:54 AM)
Let's keep this simple: I'm not interested in this film because first of all I'm not interested at all in the Indian version of the quiz show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire." I'm also not interested in the UK version or the US version either, nor the martian or saturnian versions if they're out there. So seeing a film about it really doesn't perk my interest in the slightest, in fact I don't want to see anything that reminds me of that show ever again.

tongue.gif

it's not about the show. it's about how the contestant knows the answers because he's been lucky enough to learn them throughout his rough life. relatively little time actually takes place on the game show set.

try to see a movie before you bash it

QUOTE (heartofcygnus @ Feb 1 2009, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 1 2009, 02:54 AM)

tongue.gif

it's not about the show. it's about how the contestant knows the answers because he's been lucky enough to learn them throughout his rough life. relatively little time actually takes place on the game show set.

try to see a movie before you bash it

It's near enough to it for me to not want to see it and that's what I was explaining...

trink38.gif

This is a seriously good movie. Loved every second of it. Danny Boyle deserves all the awards he has gotten for this movie to date, and will no doubt pick up the big one!

A simple tale, woven through an Indian episode of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

Can you imagine pitching that to a studio executive?

"Don't call us..."

Go see it.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2009, 02:31 PM)

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

My mom and sister both rave about it, and they're usually pretty tough to please.

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 3 2009, 04:20 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 3 2009, 02:31 PM)

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

My mom and sister both rave about it, and they're usually pretty tough to please.

Even if it's a critics dream it's not my kind of film at all, the only way I'll bother with this is if I end up watching it on TV at some point in the future, or maybe on DVD...

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 26 2009, 04:50 AM)

If you are a Lonely Planet coffe-table edition kind of tourist, definitely.

QUOTE (heartofcygnus @ Feb 1 2009, 08:42 AM)
imo, milk and the wrestler were much better (especially the wrestler).

Haven't seen The Wrestler, but I don't think you can compare those movies with this.

Milk is great in his own way, really great, but this is more of a modern fairy tale, and very close to the Indian aesthetic and narrative prototype.