hey "older" Rush fans...

liddybuck01

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 14 2008, 06:50 PM)
Y'know what I miss? Opening up that highly UV'ed album and your room filling with the smell of the UV. Especially 2112. Dark albums require more waterbase coating and UV, so that one had the best smell. It lasted forever too. old.gif

I remember those days!!!

Thems were the days.....

Yep, that would've been awesome to have been purchasing their albums on release date (when they were at their peek) back in the day..........I didn't become a fan until the early 90's, so my first few release date purchases weren't all that hot (or awful, if you will).........but their amazing live shows and back catalogue was more than enough to capture me as a fan........

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 14 2008, 05:50 PM)
Y'know what I miss? Opening up that highly UV'ed album and your room filling with the smell of the UV. Especially 2112. Dark albums require more waterbase coating and UV, so that one had the best smell. It lasted forever too. old.gif

Spoken like a true printer...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 14 2008, 07:37 PM)
Yep, that would've been awesome to have been purchasing their albums on release date (when they were at their peek) back in the day..........I didn't become a fan until the early 90's, so my first few release date purchases weren't all that hot (or awful, if you will).........but their amazing live shows and back catalogue was more than enough to capture me as a fan........

Same here. I was along the sides of the stage in the nosebleed section during the Presto tour. I saw behind the scenes. It was amazing.

1022.gif

QUOTE (dreamline3 @ Dec 14 2008, 06:54 PM)

I was fortunate enough to hear Rush when I was in 6th grade and for many shows I was the only girl, I had a group of guys I hung with. Ah the old days! biggrin.gif

wink.gif Cindy..

You're signed in as your daughter again laugh.gif

GeddyFinal.gif

Man, I remember standing in line for tickets for the Grace Under Pressure tour! I twas electric! I can picture it like yesterday. The line went round the corner and we were probably about 30th in line. But that was also when the idiots at Ticketmaster went to random ticket availability. You could stand in line but end up with shit seats, we did alright but nowhere as good as we did for Moving Pictures!

And this thread got me to thinking, how many bands that are less then 10 years old will be as big and popular as Rush in 30 years?

QUOTE (tel @ Dec 14 2008, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (Bernard Black @ Dec 14 2008, 09:15 AM)
I got into Rush after the release of 2112, and for a few years it was indeed a great pleasure to grow up with a band getting better with each release. This of course then makes it all the more painful when the creative powers of your favourite band begin to wane and then dry up altogether. The young 'uns will never understand those feelings of hurt on discovering that the high and mighty still have feet of clay.

Luckily I am able to console myself with cheap wine and memories - ah Bingley Hall -  and the corpses of the bees in my shop window.

i was at the bingley hall gig ,it was dreadfull the place is a glorified cowshed and the sound blows bigtime,rush flew into britain especially to do this show,they must of been so dissapointed.

ive never missed a rush tour since 75 and am one of the few rush fans to witness fountain of lamneth played in its entirety(arent i great and better than everybody else?) laugh.gif

So do you live in England TEL? if so how did you see RUSH in '75 when they didn't come to the UK 'til 1977?

QUOTE (ProfGumby @ Dec 14 2008, 08:09 PM)
Man, I remember standing in line for tickets for the Grace Under Pressure tour! I twas electric! I can picture it like yesterday. The line went round the corner and we were probably about 30th in line. But that was also when the idiots at Ticketmaster went to random ticket availability. You could stand in line but end up with shit seats, we did alright but nowhere as good as we did for Moving Pictures!

And this thread got me to thinking, how many bands that are less then 10 years old will be as big and popular as Rush in 30 years?

maybe one, if they're lucky. Most bands do not have the longevity that 2.gif does.

It was most exciting for me to see Rush play "The Big Money" and "Middletown Dreams" off Power Windows before the album came out down in Hollywood Florida at the Hollywood Sportatorium (1985). Me and my buddy were standing in a stairwell pretty close to the stage and Geddy acknowledged us jumping for joy during the big money. Wow. In addition, I left late for the concert and made the decision to go full throttle all the way down I-95 from Jupiter to Hollywood in my car risking going to jail just to see more Rush with a radar detector being the only thing on my side. I got away with it hearing their second song "subdivisions" as we ran into the stadium. We made it down there in record time. Thank goodness no one got hurt.

Yes, it was good. It's nice to be appreciated for being old for once. eyesre4.gif

Edited by the masked drummer

I am just grateful that the band I grew up with is still together and making great music.

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Dec 14 2008, 09:51 PM)
2.gif has been the soundtrack of my life since I was 12 smile.gif

30 Years 1022.gif

Dont bullshit us, Arleen. Saturday Night Fever has been the soundtrack to your life. tongue.gif laugh.gif

I consider myself very blessed. I got the 1st album when it came out, thanks to KMAC/KISS in San Antonio, and got each album as they have come out. I've seen Rush 39 times now, and have loved every minute of it. I am 49 now, and they have indeed, been the soundtrack to my life. Advice to you young guys, I would get the first album, and work your way to the wonderful present time.

there is something to be said for being an "old" RUSH fan...i am as old as the band! LOL

My first concert was Radio City Music Hall...

Grace Under Pressure Warm Up tour in 1983

i have been to every tour since, and most of them mulitple times. RUSH being who they are, or who they are to the masses, being able to be so into them, being so stuck on them, and PROUD to be so, yes, we are lucky to be "old"

I LOVE when new RUSH fans are born, and all I can say to you is please do go back to the beginning, take the time to love what they put out before you discovered them. Dont expect to love everything on the first listen, they were very different once upon a time. There are still fans learning to love Caress of Steel...my very favorite. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

If you are new to the fold...Welcome! we're so glad to have you here. If you are long time fans...Cheers to us all!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 14 2008, 07:19 AM)
Concerts were $12.50, and T-shirts were $15, I think.

Yeah, it was cool. 653.gif

f*cker.

Old 2.gif good, Old 2.gif fans are the greatest. old.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Finbar @ Dec 15 2008, 03:48 AM)

Yeah, it was cool.  653.gif

f*cker.

laugh.gif

I disagree with whoever said today's prices are comparable to prices then, adjusted only for inflation.

$85 in 2008 is equal to $12.50 in 1984? Doesn't sound right.

I am just grateful that the band I grew up with is still together and making great music.

Sing it, sister!

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 15 2008, 01:24 AM)
there is something to be said for being an "old" RUSH fan...i am as old as the band!  LOL

My first concert was Radio City Music Hall...
Grace Under Pressure Warm Up tour in 1983

i have been to every tour since, and most of them mulitple times.  RUSH being who they are, or who they are to the masses, being able to be so into them, being so stuck on them, and PROUD to be so, yes, we are lucky to be "old"

I LOVE when new RUSH fans are born, and all I can say to you is please do go back to the beginning, take the time to love what they put out before you discovered them.  Dont expect to love everything on the first listen, they were very different once upon a time.  There are still fans learning to love Caress of Steel...my very favorite. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

If you are new to the fold...Welcome! we're so glad to have you here.  If you are long time fans...Cheers to us all!

undefinedGrace Under Pressure Warm Up tour in 1983

Seems like only yesterday my friend Paul and i were in

the balconey getting stoned out of our minds laughing

because we thought Geddy said "Ked of Blood" was this new a song..

It turned out to be Red Sector A ... Crazy times back then...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Finbar @ Dec 15 2008, 03:48 AM)

Yeah, it was cool.  653.gif

f*cker.

Best I can remember...

My ticket for Moving Pictures tour was $9.50, and I got front row, center for Power Windows for $40.

Those were the days...

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Dec 14 2008, 07:07 AM)
i hope you realize how lucky you are to have grown up with Rush. i would kill to have been around for each new album release as some as you were, and to go to each tour that went with it. i honestly can't imagine what it would've been like opening a brand new Rush album and putting it on for the first time to hear what they came up with this time. paying, what, about $10 to go see them play a show, which we now know were some of their best. i just can't fathom how awesome it must've been.

being only 21(22 in like, 3 days!) and just becoming a fan, sadly, right after S&A was released, i've not experinced that Rush rush yet. i saw them in June but i'm sure it's no comparison to what they were doing 30 years ago.

so i just wanted to say that and hope that you appreciate being old! laugh.gif

i wish i had a Delorian... unsure.gif

I can't say that I appreciate being old. Well sort of that dreaded middle age. 42. It sucks being single though, one thing that is longed for is the real soul mate that I would connect with, but thats not what you are talking about.

I was 14 in 1980 and I remember going out to buy Permanent Waves.

I had actually been introduced to RUSH music 4 years previous but being only 10 and a sometimes typical kid running through the house screaming out song lyrics I was not paying full attention yet.

Then MTV in the beginning when it actually played music, and the time Exit Stage Left played. I remember laying on the floor in front of an old console TV watching it and thinking how cool the guys were and how much I liked them and how much I was attracted to them.

My first RUSH concert for the Powerwindows Tour. All the Circus magazines with RUSH stories in them.

Radio stations that actually played them, and not just the 3 main songs that are played now.

I was actually growing up at the end of a good era, so yes I am happy for all those memories and many more that are too long and drawn out for me to type up.

If you want to, just live in your own world of the past the way I do. It makes me happy and I feel better and smile about the "FUN OLD DAYS" smile.gif

QUOTE (Slacker @ Dec 15 2008, 03:05 PM)
undefinedGrace Under Pressure Warm Up tour in 1983

Seems like only yesterday my friend Paul and i were in

the balconey getting stoned out of our minds laughing

because we thought Geddy said "Ked of Blood" was this new a song..

It turned out to be Red Sector A ... Crazy times back then...

trink38.gif

are you sure it was Red Sector A? because 'Ked of Blood' sounds more like Kid Gloves, and I remember distinctly hearing that song at that show.

I wasn't exactly stoned that night, cause my mom and dad drove us, but some of my friends had little bottles of "rush" on them, which is akin to sniffing glue.

crazy times indeed