The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Prime Mover and Shaker @ Dec 30 2008, 04:54 PM)
Personally, I prefer the 80s 90210  wink.gif  style Yes.

Actually, it's 90125. tongue.gif

I love that era, too.... really wish Trevor Rabin could tour with Yes sometime. That would be awesome, Trev plays backing & Steve does leads on classic era songs (i.e. "Siberian Khatru", "Starship Trooper", "Roundabout"), and Trev plays lead w/Steve doing backing for YesWest songs "Owner of a Lonely Heart"). If they did this, they would have to bring back "Changes", "Hearts", "Hold On", and "City of Love"!

edited to add songs

Edited by Xanadu93

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 30 2008, 11:04 PM)

I love that era, too.... really wish Trevor Rabin could tour with Yes sometime. That would be awesome, Trev plays backing & Steve does leads on classic era songs (i.e. "Siberian Khatru", "Starship Trooper", "Roundabout"), and Trev plays lead w/Steve doing backing for YesWest songs "Owner of a Lonely Heart"). If they did this, they would have to bring back "Changes", "Hearts", "Hold On", and "City of Love"!

edited to add songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttWlCriMJYc

here you go buddy!

QUOTE (Soni @ Dec 30 2008, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 30 2008, 11:04 PM)

edited to add songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttWlCriMJYc

here you go buddy!

Thanks, haven't seen that in a while. I wish Steve and Trevor would actually tour together with Yes. Why? Steve did not like how Trev performed his songs. That's part of the reason why the average setlist these days only contains one or two YesWest songs (the obligatory "Owner" and another one; in 2004, the other one was "Rhythm of Love", in the past it's been Cinema, and Hearts). Ah well, I guess some Yes is better than no Yes.

Ok, it's official: my new favorite Yes epic is Close To The Edge. "Gates" will be the perennial favorite, but "CTTE" has really grown on me as of late. It's my most-played song in iTunes (with an amazing 5 plays! laugh.gif ). I was even brought to tears recently; en route to Hickory, North Carolina, I was listening to it, with the sun rising as I rode down the highway, and the last lines just hit me.... I had a revelation listening to that song, almost like I was also close to the edge!

Rick's playing the church organ right now.... he says "hello" to everyone. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 31 2008, 10:20 PM)
Ok, it's official: my new favorite Yes epic is Close To The Edge. "Gates" will be the perennial favorite, but "CTTE" has really grown on me as of late. It's my most-played song in iTunes (with an amazing 5 plays! laugh.gif ). I was even brought to tears recently; en route to Hickory, North Carolina, I was listening to it, with the sun rising as I rode down the highway, and the last lines just hit me.... I had a revelation listening to that song, almost like I was also close to the edge!

Rick's playing the church organ right now.... he says "hello" to everyone. laugh.gif

CTTE is very beautiful and my fave album. My CD has been autographed by Bill Bruford.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 31 2008, 10:57 PM)
Ok, it's official: my new favorite Yes epic is Close To The Edge. "Gates" will be the perennial favorite, but "CTTE" has really grown on me as of late. It's my most-played song in iTunes (with an amazing 5 plays!  laugh.gif ). I was even brought to tears recently; en route to Hickory, North Carolina, I was listening to it, with the sun rising as I rode down the highway, and the last lines just hit me.... I had a revelation listening to that song, almost like I was also close to the edge!

Rick's playing the church organ right now.... he says "hello" to everyone.  laugh.gif

CTTE is very beautiful and my fave album. My CD has been autographed by Bill Bruford.

That's awesome!!! yes.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 31 2008, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 31 2008, 10:57 PM)
Ok, it's official: my new favorite Yes epic is Close To The Edge. "Gates" will be the perennial favorite, but "CTTE" has really grown on me as of late. It's my most-played song in iTunes (with an amazing 5 plays!  laugh.gif ). I was even brought to tears recently; en route to Hickory, North Carolina, I was listening to it, with the sun rising as I rode down the highway, and the last lines just hit me.... I had a revelation listening to that song, almost like I was also close to the edge!

Rick's playing the church organ right now.... he says "hello" to everyone.  laugh.gif

That's awesome!!! yes.gif

Here it is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/kellyparis/brufordvega.jpg

iTunes Brings On The Fail - Again.

By Tim, Staff Contributor

Famed music player iTunes is under fire from a fan who claims they "bring on the fail".

"It's true, they can't label Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow - which they entitled Sunhollow - yet they can tell you everything about Nickelback's new album", says Xanadu93. "They once had a techno EP in the Rush section. A techno EP in a hard rock section? What are these idiots smoking?"

But, he says, this time they have gone too far.

"So I turned on my laptop this morning, and opened iTunes, and went to their Genius feature to see what songs were recommended for me. I look, and there's an Avril Lavigne album. The song that triggered it - Yes' "Close to the Edge"! What is wrong with them? We've got a prog epic and a pop album, neither of which are related except by having been recorded."

Xanadu93 says he will give iTunes a new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif , yet will still use them. Our response - this guy is right, but he's a little weird.

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jan 2 2009, 07:25 PM)
Well, in defence of Genius, it's fairly new and I think it will be more helpful given time. yes.gif

It's right most of the time, that one was just a little..... weird, shall we say. laugh.gif Yeah, I love this new iTunes, though, it's more organized and easy to use!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 4 2009, 01:30 PM)
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t297/petemin/DSC00052.jpg

Sorry about the delay.
My Roger Dean "doodle" and autograph!

Wow...

Even the way he writes is artistic biggrin.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 3 2009, 01:11 AM)
I just bought Yessongs!.........

I have alot of live yes already.........but I am filling in the small gaps I have left in the complete discography

Do you like it?

I've gotten a few Yes ROIO shows as well..... two shows from the Big Generator tour (which I titled, as they had no title), Dramashow (MSG in 1980), Chicago '79, Wembley '78, Cleveland '78, Oakland '77, and Jersey Park '76. I've listened to all but Wembley, which I am about to listen to now. What are some recommendations for shows - mainly FM broadcasts, and good-quality audience stuff? Where's LoneStar when you need him!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 2 2009, 04:19 PM)
So I turned on my laptop this morning, and opened iTunes, and went to their Genius feature to see what songs were recommended for me. I look, and there's an Avril Lavigne album. The song that triggered it - Yes' "Close to the Edge"!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/edgyspice/squirewut.jpg

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jan 6 2009, 08:53 PM)
So I turned on my laptop this morning, and opened iTunes, and went to their Genius feature to see what songs were recommended for me. I look, and there's an Avril Lavigne album. The song that triggered it - Yes' "Close to the Edge"!

Exactly!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jan 6 2009, 08:53 PM)

z7shysterical.gif

Good pic too!! wub.gif

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jan 7 2009, 07:39 PM)
I love Steve Howe so even without Jon i'm still going -

you will not regret it

1022.gif

Tim, enjoy that Wembley 78 show. It's a monster. Probably my favorite Yes ROIO....

Your Big Generator shows...can you describe them? I bet one of them is Houston 88....

Other recommendations: Madison Square Garden Feb 74 is a MUST...all of Tales and all of CTTE live... it's audience but don't let that stop you.

Also, Hollywood Bowl 75, Long Beach 77 and Memphis 77 are must haves. Again, all audience, but great sound.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jan 8 2009, 03:48 PM)
Tim, enjoy that Wembley 78 show. It's a monster. Probably my favorite Yes ROIO....

Your Big Generator shows...can you describe them? I bet one of them is Houston 88....

Other recommendations: Madison Square Garden Feb 74 is a MUST...all of Tales and all of CTTE live... it's audience but don't let that stop you.

Also, Hollywood Bowl 75, Long Beach 77 and Memphis 77 are must haves. Again, all audience, but great sound.

Believe it or not, I don't have Houston '88 - yet. I just found a link that actually works, and I'm downloading it now. As for the other BG tour boots that I have - one is from Opening Night and features "Final Eyes" and "I'm Running". These are two of my favorite tracks off of the album, and it's great to hear them live. The other was recorded on February 26, 1988 in Sacramento. That was my first Yes boot!

I found a boot of NYC '74, but the full show is listed as having cut and bad sound quality. Fortunately, there's one version with all of Tales, and it's listed as being consistent as far as sound quality. Guess I'll go with that one!

I may already have Long Beach '77, and I'll get to work on those others! Thanks Matt

Seeing them next month! Going for the sheer fact that its Yes, even if it is only Howe, Squire, and White. Anxious to hear Oliver Wakeman taking over for his dad...he already impresses me with his solo stuff! I think Benoit David has a pretty fitting voice for taking over for Anderson this tour IMO.

Need to find some of these boots being mentioned as well... yes.gif