The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

"Good call on the shades Alan, they won't think we've aged a day!" -Howe

http://i.imgur.com/HArpY2i.jpg

I see no sun. This is foolishness. Damn their eyes.

This is such an embarrassing picture.

Also, who else sees Alec Baldwin top left?

Embarrassing... and ridiculous.

Edited by greg2112

So it's an accurate promo pic for what the band is today

• Like 3

Found these interviews of Steve Howe and Bill Bruford from 1984. Id never seen these, and I found it fascinating listening to them talk about their experiences, and what they thought about everything from the 60's and 70's.

• Like 1

Listened to Talk last night and while Some decent moments sounds in no way a Yes album. But its more a Yes album than Onion.

I don't understand the "in no way a Yes album" comment. I think Talk is one of their albums that are actually most representative of their entire history. It takes the pop elements they embraced in the '80s and melds them with their '70s prog stylings. There are plenty of catchy hooks, but there are also complex song structures, and there's even a lengthy epic at the end.

90125 is as much "a Yes album" as Close to the Edge is (in fact, most of Yes' albums don't have a whole lot in common with Close to the Edge). They're just from different periods of the band's history--a history that has seen them explore a lot of different styles. People can choose to believe (based on personal preference) that the era from The Yes Album to Going for the One featured the material that "really counts," but they're ignoring a lot of records (which contain a lot of quality music--music that got a lot of people into the band).

Edited by Cyclonus X-1
  • Like 2

So it's an accurate promo pic for what the band is today

It's hard to get a good picture of the Nazgul without their Fell Beasts.

• Like 1

Gates of Delirium has an amazing solo section, their best both because of it's length and because of the solos themselves (though, Wakeman's still better than Moraz ever will be).... I just wish that damn canned cheering wasn't there.

Since the thread came back up I just wanted to say I love me some 70's Yes and enjoy some of the 80's Yes minus Drama. That is all... :)

New release May 25th:

YES-Progeny / Seven Shows From Seventy Two.

14 Disc box set available featuring 7 shows from the Close to the Edge world tour in 1972.

Also available 2 Disc set featuring selected tracks from above shows!

Very similar track listings to Yessongs! Could be interesting,but I'll stick to the 2CD i think! Even though I enjoy Yes I do think listening to seven shows of exactly the same running order on each CD is a bit too much! Imagine if Rush did that at their current North American tour?!

New release May 25th:

14 Disc box set available featuring 7 shows from the Close to the Edge world tour in 1972.

Very similar track listings to Yessongs! Could be interesting,but I'll stick to the 2CD i think! Even though I enjoy Yes I do think listening to seven shows of exactly the same running order on each CD is a bit too much! Imagine if Rush did that at their current North American tour?!

I remember Alice Cooper mentioning this box set on his radio show and criticizing it. "really!?"

Wish I could recall what he said verbatim because he has quite the way with words, but he tied it off with saying that listeners should email him if they want him to officially release a box set of multiple bootlegs from his Billion Dollar Babies tour for a ridiculous price :spitwater:

• Like 1

New release May 25th:

Yeah, I can't say that gets me terribly excited. If the sound was leaps and bounds better than Yessongs maybe (I've always hated the sound on that record), but knowing what their live shows tended to sound like in 1972 I am not holding my breath. Also, while the setlist is classic, I feel like I already have a billion versions of Roundabout, All Good People, Close To The Edge, Heart of The Sunrise, And You And I, and so on. I don't need seven more of each.

Now had it been "recently discovered recordings from every tour of the 1970's" I'd be throwing money at people until someone gave me that box set. Here's hoping. :D

• Like 1

Yes are one of my all-time favorite bands, utterly adore their work. I saw them on their 35th anniversary tour at Wembley Arena in London, back in June 2004; great concert, and Jon was still in the band.

They have also produced my favorite song of all time, Awaken. Gates, CttE, The Revealing Science of God and Silent Wings of Freedom are all mind-blowing works, too.

Love all their stuff, even the very worst of it (Open Your Eyes, Magnification). I still dig their Trevor Rabin years, and think Talk is a great album; Endless Dream is bloody fantastic, definitely up there with their 70s epics, IMO.

I don't really dislike their current incarnation although I haven't felt compelled to see them yet. I wish Jon and Rick were still in the band though, and I think that, as the members are now in their early 70s, they should think about reuniting the classic line-up for a 50th anniversary tour. Rick always said that Yes deserved to go out on a high, and this would be the PERFECT chance to do it.

• Like 2

Have just realised that now Chris Squire is on leave from the band due to his illness,I think I'm right in saying that they're will be none of the original five members from Yes (Anderson,Squire,Banks,Kaye,Bruford) touring this summer with Toto! Sure this hasnt happened before! Jon Anderson we need you……
  • Like 3

So terrible to hear about Chris Squire's cancer, especially as it's a rare form of the disease. :(

Hopefully The Fish will take his triple-neck bass and beat the damn cancer over the head with it.

Good luck Chris, I wish you a speedy recovery. Take care.

Edited by CountFloyd84
  • Like 1

Oh Boy, the Progeny release (2 cd) is excellent! The sound quality is superior to Yessongs.Alan White is the star performer! May have to find some extra cash to buy the full box set!
  • Like 1

Oh Boy, the Progeny release (2 cd) is excellent! The sound quality is superior to Yessongs.Alan White is the star performer! May have to find some extra cash to buy the full box set!

It is definitely on my list now! :) And I just realized, I think my older sister was at that Toronto show. I will have to ask her.