The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

I'm 'happy Segue enjoys Close to the Edge now. I remember he wasn't exactly jumping up and down for it, lol

Mick

It has so much depth and the first listen I wasn't really focusing enough on it to get the sense of it.

But CTTE-Relayer is pretty much the greatest album trilogy ever. And I see them as a trilogy.

• Like 2

I honestly need to exam Tormato more......i kinda tossed the poor guy aside, lol

Mick

Same. I keep trying but after two tracks something better takes over.

• Like 1

So how would you all rank their long-form (I.e. >15 minute) tracks?

For me:

1. Gates

2. CTTE

3. Revealing

4. Awaken (It's not a whole side but it still counts)

5. Ritual

6. Remembering

7. Ancient

8. Fly From Here (if it counts, since it's indexed as seperate tracks)

Hope you all don't mind me jumping in with my own scores:

Yes: 5/10

TIme and a Word: 6/10

The Yes Album: 10/10 (I actually prefer the studio version of Clap, without the audience. It disrupts the vibe—odd criticism, I know, lol.)

Fragile: 8.5/10 (I love Roundabout, but it's Yes's Tom Sawyer—heard it a million times. Heart of the Sunrise and South Side of the Sky are outstanding, but both at times feel a bit overlong, blasphemy, I know. The rest is just fine; Long Distance Runaround is a great pop tune.)

Close to the Edge: 10/10 ( My favorite album of all time. It changed me.)

Tales...: 9/10 (Took me a while to connect with it, but I love it. Revealing Science... and Ritual are masterpieces.)

Relayer: 8.5/10 (Great album, but for whatever reason it's rarely the first Yes album I take off the shelf when I get on a kick.)

Going for the One: 8/10 (I actually think this album is overrated among folks here. Duck and cover...)

Tormato: 7/10 (Haven't listened to this recently enough to be confident with this score, however.)

Yessongs: 10/10 (Absolutely stunning live album. Among the best live albums all time.)

The rest I either don't care for what I've heard, or I haven't listened enough to develop a strong opinion. Based on my scores, does anyone have a suggestion for an album I need to explore more deeply, or simply give a chance? I've seen Magnification mentioned as a relatively strong album....?

• Like 1

For me:

1. Gates

2. CTTE

3. Revealing

5. Ritual

6. Remembering

7. Ancient

I was working on a reply yo this, but I can't do it without including 10+ minute songs such as And You and I, Heart of the Sunrise, and America, among others, and even Yours is No Disgrace and Starship Trooper (just under 10 minutes). Alas, based on your criteria:

CTTE

Revealing

Ritual

Gates

Awaken

Remembering

Ancient

Just reporting in......I listened to Tormato......I stand by my first statement. After the Yes album, CTTE, Relayer, and GFTO. this is a few steps down.

Onward is pure beauty though. I think GFTO was honestly the End of classic Yes.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

For me:

1. Gates

2. CTTE

3. Revealing

5. Ritual

6. Remembering

7. Ancient

Endless Dream on the Talk album goes over fifteen minutes as well.

1) CttE

2) Gates

3) Remembering

4) ED

5) Revealing

6) Awaken

7) Ancient

8) Ritual

I do like the FfH suite, but I don't think of it as one epic track.

For me:

1. Gates

2. CTTE

3. Revealing

5. Ritual

6. Remembering

7. Ancient

1) CttE

2) Gates

3) Remembering

4) ED

5) Revealing

6) Awaken

7) Ancient

8) Ritual

Oh... forgot about that one. I suppose it would be about the same as Remembering/Ancient, since I like it but don't love it.

For me:

1. Gates

2. CTTE

3. Revealing

5. Ritual

6. Remembering

7. Ancient

1) CttE

2) Gates

3) Remembering

4) ED

5) Revealing

6) Awaken

7) Ancient

8) Ritual

Oh... forgot about that one. I suppose it would be about the same as Remembering/Ancient, since I like it but don't love it.

The Yes Album: 10/10 (I actually prefer the studio version of Clap, without the audience. It disrupts the vibe—odd criticism, I know, lol.)

Fragile: 8.5/10 (I love Roundabout, but it's Yes's Tom Sawyer—heard it a million times. Heart of the Sunrise and South Side of the Sky are outstanding, but both at times feel a bit overlong, blasphemy, I know. The rest is just fine; Long Distance Runaround is a great pop tune.)

Tales...: 9/10 (Took me a while to connect with it, but I love it. Revealing Science... and Ritual are masterpieces.)

Relayer: 8.5/10 (Great album, but for whatever reason it's rarely the first Yes album I take off the shelf when I get on a kick.)

Going for the One: 8/10 (I actually think this album is overrated among folks here. Duck and cover...)

Tormato: 7/10 (Haven't listened to this recently enough to be confident with this score, however.)

Yessongs: 10/10 (Absolutely stunning live album. Among the best live albums all time.)

The rest I either don't care for what I've heard, or I haven't listened enough to develop a strong opinion. Based on my scores, does anyone have a suggestion for an album I need to explore more deeply, or simply give a chance? I've seen Magnification mentioned as a relatively strong album....?

drama's worth hearing. I don't care for 90125 but it's kinda like their black album, lots of people like it.

• Like 1

drama's worth hearing. I don't care for 90125 but it's kinda like their black album, lots of people like it.

From Drama, I think I've only heard Tempus Fugit. And from 90125, I've only heard the singles. I'll check out the rest of these albums. Thank you for your recommendation.

• Like 1

Used to do homework in high school to Tales. There is something about that album that just sounds right to me. I put the whole thing on during a long drive at the beginning of this month. It never grows old.
  • Like 1

Used to do homework in high school to Tales. There is something about that album that just sounds right to me. I put the whole thing on during a long drive at the beginning of this month. It never grows old.

I cannot believe my ABBA loving mind loves this album as much as I do.

• Like 1

Are you going to review it on the thread? :D

It is all 15.

• Like 1

It is all 15.

I would agree that it is a 10/10 or 15/15 on the other scale. I like ABBA too.

• Like 1

For me:

1. Gates

2. CTTE

3. Revealing

5. Ritual

6. Remembering

7. Ancient

1. Ritual

2. Awaken

3. Gates

4. Revealing

5. CTTE

6. Fly From Here

7. Ancients

8. Remembering

• Like 1

"Good call on the shades Alan, they won't think we've aged a day!" -Howe

http://i.imgur.com/HArpY2i.jpg

I see no sun. This is foolishness. Damn their eyes.

This is such an embarrassing picture.

Also, who else sees Alec Baldwin top left?

• Like 2

"Good call on the shades Alan, they won't think we've aged a day!" -Howe

http://i.imgur.com/HArpY2i.jpg

I see no sun. This is foolishness. Damn their eyes.

This is such an embarrassing picture.

Also, who else sees Alec Baldwin top left?

I see Alec Baldwin and I also see two butch old ladies in the back row.