The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

So now i've heard every 90's album. I backed up and started Union again......then stopped, couldn't deal, lol Back on Talk.

As it Stands now

90's

1. The Ladder

2. Talk

3. Open your Eyes

Trash- Union.....it's putrid.

I'll listen to the studio tracks to Keys To Ascension another time.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Ok so tonight i have played the first two Yes albums and Tales. And also bought the studio albums box set, and i have to say: EPIC

Sorry for the doubts, i am won over!

:cheers: You're in for a real treat when you hit the run from The Yes Album to Drama... :D

(P.S. I really like the first two and I do like much of their post-Drama material but that run is IMO their prime.)

I'd expand that to Time and a Word - 90125 undoubtedly... But I'm sure Steve Howe would love you for chopping off those two ;)

Ok so tonight i have played the first two Yes albums and Tales. And also bought the studio albums box set, and i have to say: EPIC

:cheers: You're in for a real treat when you hit the run from The Yes Album to Drama... :D

(P.S. I really like the first two and I do like much of their post-Drama material but that run is IMO their prime.)

I'd expand that to Time and a Word - 90125 undoubtedly... But I'm sure Steve Howe would love you for chopping off those two ;)

I really like the debut! Actually, the first three albums are amazing, and if I only had these three I would be more than happy! Fragile-Relayer is just spoiling me rotten.

I am not worthy!

• Like 3

I really like the debut! Actually, the first three albums are amazing, and if I only had these three I would be more than happy! Fragile-Relayer is just spoiling me rotten.

I am not worthy!

I have to admire your un-paralleled enthusiasm for Yes!You are a true fan!Keep enjoying!

I remember having Union when it was first released, and I can't remember what it was that compelled me to buy it- I was not a fan of Yes at the time, and in point of fact I only knew a handful of songs out of their entire catalogue.

That being said, I don't remember it being as atrocious as what the consensus here seems to be.

But since I have so many other great Yes albums to listen to, it'll probably be awhile before I decide to check it out again.

:huh:

I remember having Union when it was first released, and I can't remember what it was that compelled me to buy it- I was not a fan of Yes at the time, and in point of fact I only knew a handful of songs out of their entire catalogue.

That being said, I don't remember it being as atrocious as what the consensus here seems to be.

But since I have so many other great Yes albums to listen to, it'll probably be awhile before I decide to check it out again.

I try really hard to avoid an older bands latest album if I am new to them. Always search out the classics!

It will be a while before I get passed Drama. The bonus tracks to every album are just as fantastic!

I've been one of the few who have given UNION a tough ride!I've actually got an hour to kill on this Halloween,so I'm going to give it a spin now and see if my opinion has changed!

I wouldn't call it atrocious, it's just very disappointing considering there's enough talent on that record to make the best album ever

• Like 1

I can't, and have never been able to, listen to Union to this day without cringing (this coming from a guy who saw them twice on the Union tour just to see them play Awaken). It's just a very mediocre album and a project that was clearly put together just to make money. There is no artistic value in that album at all. I hope nobody is offended by that opinion.
  • Like 3

I can't give union any credit.......to me it really is that bad. You had 8 members. and that's what you dumped out? Great idea on paper.......the reality is awful.

Mick

They actually had about 20, if you count all the session musicians (really. Hiring session musicians to replace Yes members? :no: :facepalm:)

• Like 1

I can't give union any credit.......to me it really is that bad. You had 8 members. and that's what you dumped out? Great idea on paper.......the reality is awful.

Mick

I enjoy Uinion :)

Mick

They actually had about 20, if you count all the session musicians (really. Hiring session musicians to replace Yes members? :no: :facepalm:)

lol.....i wasn't counting sidemen......but you would be right. it was basically an audio beat down, lol

Mick

I try really hard to avoid an older bands latest album if I am new to them. Always search out the classics!

It will be a while before I get passed Drama. The bonus tracks to every album are just as fantastic!

Not a fan of Drama or Union here.... :codger:

Not a fan of Drama or Union here.... :codger:

I know this'll sound like a whine. Drama's got good tunes but........no Jon Anderson.........i know he had recorded some vocals for it but.....that album looses point for that, IMO.

Mick

• Like 2

Oh and no Patrick Moraz. He was on my 2nd fave Yes album!! Not that he would have helped........but if your gonna do this go all out, lol

Mick

Relayer is arguably my favorite album. definitely looking forward to this.

‘Relayer’ is confirmed as the third release in the series of SW remixed Yes albums to be issued in 5.1 & new stereo high-resolution audio configuration. ‘Relayer’ was the band’s 7th studio album, released in 1974, and contains just 3 long pieces, including the ambitious 22 minute Gates of Delirium.

Mixed by Steven Wilson & released with the full approval of the band, ‘Relayer’ will be available inCD/DVD-A digipack & CD/Blu-Ray mini LP gatefold editions. These are available to pre-order now fromHeadphone Dust, to be released on 3rd November.

Both editions will also contain the original album mix in high-resolution & bonus audio material, full details of which will be announced shortly.

Restored artwork approved by Roger Dean & new sleevenotes by Sid Smith complete the package, the release of which coincides with the 40th anniversary of the album’s original late 1974 appearance.

Edited by Rushman14
  • Like 3

I didn't even bother to listen to Union for a very long time because I knew about its backstory and I'd heard all of the negative reports. It was actually treeduck on this forum who convinced me to give it a try. As it turns out, I really enjoy listening to the first half of the album (pretty much everything up to and including Miracle of Life). Most of the remaining tracks aren't as strong, but Holding On is a good one. I like the album on the whole—and I'd say it's MUCH better than Open Your Eyes.
  • Like 1