The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

Just listened to the SW remix of The Yes Album. One word: fantastic!

i didnt even know it existed! I got Close to the Edge which is awesome.

Was the entire album Close To The Edge ever done well (and I emphasize the word well) in concert? If so, is it on a DVD That I can purchase? It would make a nice birthday gift to myself.

YESSONGS, but the DVD version doesn't include Siberian Khatru :( In fact, it includes an unsatisfying amount of songs. But for all it's briefness (for Yes/Prog), it's probably their best. The songs aren't in order either btw.

How could they omit that song?

Is there another concert video that would include all of the songs from Close To The Edge? Why, oh why, didn't I go see them back then? Sometimes I wonder where my head was at in the seventies. :unsure:

Perhaps the Queens Park Ranger Stadium DVD.

• Like 1

Welp, I just ordered the "Yes: The Director's Cut" DVD from the 35th Anniversary Tour. I have "Songs from Tsongas" but this set is pretty different, closer to what I saw from them in 2002.

Was the entire album Close To The Edge ever done well (and I emphasize the word well) in concert? If so, is it on a DVD That I can purchase? It would make a nice birthday gift to myself.

YESSONGS, but the DVD version doesn't include Siberian Khatru :( In fact, it includes an unsatisfying amount of songs. But for all it's briefness (for Yes/Prog), it's probably their best. The songs aren't in order either btw.

How could they omit that song?

Is there another concert video that would include all of the songs from Close To The Edge? Why, oh why, didn't I go see them back then? Sometimes I wonder where my head was at in the seventies. :unsure:

Perhaps the Queens Park Ranger Stadium DVD.

I checked and it doesn't have the entire album.

Welp, I just ordered the "Yes: The Director's Cut" DVD from the 35th Anniversary Tour. I have "Songs from Tsongas" but this set is pretty different, closer to what I saw from them in 2002.

In fact, this IS the setlist from 2002, minus The Revealing.

Is it possible that it is the same setlist as the 2003 Montreux show? Looking at the two, they are identical. I bet Steve Howe wanted this one released because a lot of people complained about the stripped down nature of the Montreux show. This way, they have a show with the same setlist, but with full production of a Yes show.

Edited by Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Is it possible that it is the same setlist as the 2003 Montreux show? Looking at the two, they are identical. I bet Steve Howe wanted this one released because a lot of people complained about the stripped down nature of the Montreux show. This way, they have a show with the same setlist, but with full production of a Yes show.

I'd be interested in hearing how this is. I have the Montreux CDs, and I like them, but the performance is a little tame for my tastes.

And I'm always up for hearing more live South Side of the Sky.

I'd be interested in hearing how this is. I have the Montreux CDs, and I like them, but the performance is a little tame for my tastes.

From what I understand, when a group plays Montreux like Yes did, they bring a really striped down version of what they would normally have, gear wise. The concert on this DVD was an actual show on the European leg of their 2002-2003 tour, so they'll have all their gear, and it will sound much more like a real, professional show.

Well you'll get SSotS twice if you get this DVD.

I really enjoyed it. The performances were pretty strong. Chris Squire really needs to stop playing The Fish, though.

• Like 1

Well you'll get SSotS twice if you get this DVD.

I really enjoyed it. The performances were pretty strong. Chris Squire really needs to stop playing The Fish, though.

Cool, glad to hear that it's good stuff. It's funny that they decided to include a second concert with a redundant setlist, though I'd probably sit through both quite happily. Regarding The Fish, was the performance poor or is the routine just getting old?

http://www.muzu.tv/yes/in-a-world-of-our-own-lyrics-video-music-video/2265211/

The new stuff is just about out of the gate. There have been plenty of previews, but here is an entire song. It isn't the worst thing I've ever heard, but is way to the softer side of Yes for sure. I already pre-ordered the album so I guess my collection will be complete. Hurm... attempting to reserve judgement until I hear the entire thing, but the new guy puts too many words in the songs

Here are my thoughts on Heaven & Earth:

Believe Again - A good, happy song, catchy but not annoying, interesting keyboard-driven verses but with a predictable chorus, perfect transitions into and out of the slightly darker instrumental middle section. This is one of the songs that I will remember in a good way and listen to in the future.

The Game - Modern-sounding but generic, catchy chorus, not much that is memorable

Step Beyond - Extremely cheesy, as in it sounds like a children's song. I would not recommend listening to this one at all, as it has gotten stuck in my head against my will.

To Ascend - A boring ballad, again not much memorable

In a World of Our Own - A shuffle, different but not in a good way, does not feel in any way like Yes

Light of the Ages - A bit more proggy, but it sounds forced, not very creative or interesting, not to mention some parts like the Beatles-like first vocal section sound out of place

It Was All We Knew - Fun to listen to, interesting instrumental part, still not even in the same league as classic Yes

Subway Walls - While the production is noticeably poor and the classical-music-style intro doesn't quite fit very well with the rest of the song, this is a pretty interesting musical mini-adventure. This is happy, catchy music followed by two impressive solos, and the ending, which recalls the intro, as well as the transition into it are worth listening to. I also love the lyrics to this song, which are good thoughts about the meaning of life. By far the best on the album.

Overall, not a very good album, but it has its moments.

i don't know why everyone is complaining about this album, for me this is their best album sinse Tales From Topographic Oceans.

Well, that's enough to convince me!

Edited by Mr. IsNot

Yes Discography:

1969 - 1983, Keystudio, Magnification

Other pre-Fly albums may be included when I get around to giving them more chances.

For example: "Talk". I do like "New Language" a lot, but the rest of the album? Can't remember, honestly.

For example: "Talk". I do like "New Language" a lot, but the rest of the album? Can't remember, honestly.

New Language is on The Ladder. Great song, and I think both Talk and The Ladder are good, underrated albums.

New Language is on The Ladder. Great song, and I think both Talk and The Ladder are good, underrated albums.

See, shows how much I know of those albums :LOL:

Oh shit I've heard the first three tracks of the new album and it's CRAP! Horrid twee tunes, lame soft rock songs that make me want to dance around like a fat old man in a green goblin outfit, like a bad folk band crippled by arthritis they just won't die. The worst thing is the keyboards, what the hell? It sounds like Downes has been composing for a kids circus TV show from the 50's and accidentally mixed it into this album... :facepalm:

The f***ing last album was waaaaay better than this. Who the hell is this new singer? Track 5 sounds like ugh Gilbert O'Sullivan on a bad day... :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

:wtf:

• Like 1

It's a bad record. Boring and doesn't go anywhere. It makes Fly From Here look like Hemispheres (and I didn't like FFH).

The production is bland, which is sad; I expected more from Roy Thomas Baker and Yes joining forces. Just a very uninspired effort.

Jon Davison sounds identical to Jon Anderson and his songwriting is poor. You have to wonder why the band continues trotting soundalikes out there when Anderson seems more than willing and able to rejoin the band. It'd be better for them, since his replacements just haven't been cutting it.

• Like 1