The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

They were amazing at The Fox in Detroit. A very treasured memory, I must say. They let what's left of their hair down. Amazing performance. Amazing band. Happy to catch that show... :codger:

They were amazing at The Fox in Detroit. A very treasured memory, I must say. They let what's left of their hair down. Amazing performance. Amazing band. Happy to catch that show... :codger:

:yes:

I have a bootleg DVD of that show ,and after watching it and hearing the recording from Hammond ...I bought a ticket for the last show of the tour in Indy.

I picked up Live From Lyon because HMV only had those two albums and they were on 2 for $25

If you are just starting out, there is no wrong place to start, unless you just hate it. Then you would be best served asking for guidance. Hatchetaxe&saw had it right, though. If you like what you have, and you already have Fragile, then get The Yes Album and Close to the Edge.

Or, you could get Yessongs, and then get TYA and CTTE.

Get any Yes album out there because they all show a different side of the band in all the different eras, but for the love of God please wait and buy Open Your Eyes last.

For the love of God listen to Drbirdsong. He knows his stuff.

But, buy it. Then, burn it. Then, bury the ashes in a lead casket. Just to be sure.

How awesome is this, anyone lucky enough to be going?

Jon has a special request for all who are attending his August 4th show in Manchester

"OK peeps, the show in Manchester is unique... it's in the round. So please feel free to record video of parts or all of the songs on your cell phones or cameras. As many of you as can, please do it. This will make for a unique filming experience. And for the peeps whose videos we choose to use, you will all receive your own final copy after it's edited together - and a painting from me - to commemorate this event. After the show, please send your videos to email inyth.media@gmail.com Have fun... Jon"

Edited by Steevo

If you lived in the NY area in the 70's and listened to WNEW-FM, they broadcasted this fantastic YES from 1976. if you didn't listen to WNEW-FM... well I'm not sure about you.

I attended this show at Roosevelt stadium and have a copy of this concert. F A N T A S T I C go to 1:02:50 to hear Jon's solos ( brilliant )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYx7ik-btYo

• Like 2

If you lived in the NY area in the 70's and listened to WNEW-FM, they broadcasted this fantastic YES from 1976. if you didn't listen to WNEW-FM... well I'm not sure about you.

I attended this show at Roosevelt stadium and have a copy of this concert. F A N T A S T I C go to 1:02:50 to hear Jon's solos ( brilliant )

Wow! That encore ripped my face off

Best Yes news in years is that Close To The Edge is getting a Steve Wilson makeover. He did an awesome job on the King Crimson albums he worked on.

http://www.yesworld.com/2013/08/close-to-the-edge-in-5-1-surround-and-stereo/

YES’s ‘Close To The Edge’ Remixed and Remastered in 5.1 Surround & Stereo Mixes

Released on 21st October 2013 on Panegyric Recordings, ‘Close to the Edge’ will be the first in a new series of expanded YES editions to contain:

New 5.1 Surround Mixes from the original Multitracks

New Stereo Mixes from the original Multitracks

• High-Resolution Stereo Remasters from the original Flat Stereo Masters

• A wealth of Extra Material.

• Mixes made with the approval of YES.

CD/DVD-A

New 5.1 Surround Mix 96kHz/24bit from original multitracks

New 5.1 Surround Mix Lossless 96kHz/24bit from original multitracks

New Stereo Mix Hi-Res 96kHz/24bit from original multitracks

Original Stereo Mix Hi-Res 96kHz/24bit flat transfer from the original Stereo Master tapes

Numerous audio extras Hi-Res 48kHz/24bit including single edits & studio run- throughs

CD/Blu-Ray

New 5.1 Surround Mix DTS-HD 96kHz/24bit from original multitracks

New Stereo Mix LPCM 96kHz/24bit from original multitracks

Original Stereo Mix LPCM 192kHz/24bit flat transfer from original master tape

America – Original Stereo Mix LPCM 192kHz/24bit flat transfer from original master tape

Instrumental Versions – New Stereo Mix LPCM 96kHz/24bit **EXCLUSIVE**

Needle-drop of Original UK Vinyl LPCM 96kHz/24bit A1/B1 pressing **EXCLUSIVE**

Numerous Audio Extras LPCM 96kHz/24bit including single edits & studio run throughs

Acclaimed musician/producer Steven Wilson has produced the new mixes with the approval of the band, while Roger Dean reprises his role as art director/designer of the newly issued edition, making this the Definitive Edition of the album.

CD features a completely new Stereo Album Mix by Steven Wilson + a new mix of America & an early mix/assembly of Close to the Edge, all at CD quality 44.1kHz/16bit.

Hybrid DVD-A features a 5.1 Surround mix and High Resolution 96kHz/24bit Stereo mixes of the album in its original & new stereo mixes + numerous audio extras in high-resolution stereo including single edits & studio run- throughs.

Blu-Ray features all of the above – new mixes at 96kHz/24bit, original mixes at 192kHz/24bit in DTS-HD Master Audio Surround + additional exclusive music including 96kHz/24bit Instrumental Versions & a 96kHz/24bit needle-drop of an original UK vinyl pressing.

Special packaging for both formats, CD/DVD-A in double digi-pack in slipcase, CD/Blu-Ray in mini vinyl replica gatefold card sleeve.

Original artwork by Roger Dean who has overseen the artwork for this new edition.

Booklet with new sleeve notes by Sid Smith, rare photos & archive material.

The combination of Yes’s music & Steven Wilson’s production skills seems such an obvious mix (no pun intended), it’s a wonder it hasn’t happened sooner. Actually, it’s been planned for a little while, speculated about for even longer & has now begun, with the first release in the series, “Close to the Edge” set for an October release.

Mixed from the full multi-track sources, the 5.1 mixes reveal every nuance of the complexity of the original recordings in Surround sound, while a sparkling new stereo mix is presented on CD & in high resolution stereo, as is a flat transfer from the original stereo master tape source. The album is being released in two formats (CD/DVD-A & CD/Blu-Ray) providing maximum access to the high-resolution audio formats. Both editions include numerous audio extras, all in high resolution, some of which are exclusive to the CD/Blu-Ray edition.

About CLOSE TO THE EDGE

When Yes entered the studio with Eddie Offord to record the band’s fifth studio album in mid-1972, their second with this line-up, the band was on something of a roll. “Fragile”, the band’s previous album, had taken Yes to a new level of international popularity with Top Ten chart placement on both sides of the Atlantic & yielding a hit single in the USA with ‘Roundabout’. The band was now established in the major music markets to an extent that was, perhaps, unexpected given the complexity of the music Yes performed. But with that popularity came a confidence that the expansive material of the two previous albums could be taken a stage further with the new recording. Rather than consolidating, Yes chose to innovate.

Recorded during lengthy sessions at London’s Advision Studios, “Close to the Edge” is that rarity in recorded music, the sound of a band & its individual members writing, playing and recording at the peak of their collective abilities. The album was issued in Autumn 1972 reaching chart highs & platinum sales status of 4 in the UK, 3 in the USA & 1 in Holland, though such statistics only hint at the worldwide popularity of the album over a period of more than four decades. The three pieces of music, the title track which spanned the entire first side of the vinyl album with ‘And You And I’ & ‘Siberian Khatru’ on side two, have remained concert favourites since release, with the 2013 Yes line-up currently in the middle of a world tour stretching into the middle of next year that sees the album performed in its entirety.

The album remains the favourite among many of the band’s legion of fans, a defining recording both for the band & for the progressive rock movement. It is also one of the most successful British rock albums ever released.

Since this release of “Close to the Edge” was confirmed, the various websites dedicated to Yes, Progressive rock & high-resolution audio have been very active with discussions among fans keen to hear the new mixes & the existing material in its purest audio presentation.

We will keep you abreast of developments here at yesworld.com