The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 12 2012, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 11 2012, 09:45 PM)
Sounds like its finally happening! Too bad they couldn't get Bruford.
http://somethingelsereviews.com/2012/09/08...d-trevor-rabin/

confused13.gif Trevor Rabin.

Woohoo.

sarcasm.gif

He's not as good as Howe but the stuff he did with Yes isn't bad at all. I also heard a song from his new album on XM and it was very good. The album's on Progstreaming but I haven't had a chance to listen. He's talented and I think he could write some great stuff with Wakeman and Anderson.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 12 2012, 05:41 PM)

Woohoo.

sarcasm.gif

He's not as good as Howe but the stuff he did with Yes isn't bad at all. I also heard a song from his new album on XM and it was very good. The album's on Progstreaming but I haven't had a chance to listen. He's talented and I think he could write some great stuff with Wakeman and Anderson.

confused13.gif I guess.

Doubt it will be better than Fly From Here though.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 11 2012, 08:45 PM)

Great news if it really happens, but take this with a big grain of salt.

I'll definitely support them if they tour. I passed on Yes in my town recently, a first for me. sad.gif Even though I like Fly From Here, the second tribute band singer replacement was the last straw for me. facepalm.gif

Woohoo.

sarcasm.gif

I think Rabin is a much better guitar player than Steve Howe is these days.

Close to the Edge is maybe the best progressive rock album ever... next to Hemispheres, of course. I used to listen to Yes often and have been to a few shows.

But, the CONSTANT line up changes annoys the hell out of me. You never know who is in the band and who isn't from week to week. Oliver Wakeman?

The new singer is very good, but he's not Jon Anderson. It's just not the same at all.

My favourite line up is Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman and Bruford.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 3 2012, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (t2s @ Sep 1 2012, 10:48 PM)
False. Going for the One is Yes' best album, by far.

laugh.gif No.

Awaken is just sort of blah. Good, but way overrated. The other songs are kind of bland... title track is the best. The sound is way over-saturated and thick, hard to make out anything. Too much stuff going on at once.

Every album from Time and a Word to Drama is better.

Of course... IMO.

smile.gif smile.gif

Except for the part about Drama, I agree completely.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 12 2012, 02:36 PM)

Woohoo.

sarcasm.gif

Anderson Wakeman and Rabin is infinitely better than Howe Squire Alan and Place Holders.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 12 2012, 02:55 PM)

Woohoo.

sarcasm.gif

confused13.gif I guess.

Doubt it will be better than Fly From Here though.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Oh, you're serious?

I've been hard on Rabin myself, but with the enormous and bloated (see what I did there?) Squire shenanigans of late I'm willing to give it a listen. At least Rabin always came across as a decent guy. Who knows, maybe being in Yes makes you into a jerk, look what happened to Downes and Steve Howe has a dick-ish reputation. Sometimes the internet reveals too much. Edited by drbirdsong

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 13 2012, 09:00 PM)
Close to the Edge is maybe the best progressive rock album ever... next to Hemispheres, of course. I used to listen to Yes often and have been to a few shows.

But, the CONSTANT line up changes annoys the hell out of me. You never know who is in the band and who isn't from week to week. Oliver Wakeman?

The new singer is very good, but he's not Jon Anderson. It's just not the same at all.

My favourite line up is Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman and Bruford.

new singer's pretty good, good show in atlanta back in july

I got in the car this morning, put my iPod on shuffle, and "Yours is No Disgrace" came on. Whetting my appetite, I decided to play The Yes Album. This was followed by Fragile and CTTE. I'm on Tales at the moment, and I'd forgotten that it's actually a really good album, asides from most of "The Ancient". (Leaves of Green saves me from skipping that song altogether.) I think I'm going to go all the way through Drama tonight.

Also, I really paid attention to Bruford's drumming when listening to those records he was on... I can only imagine how Relayer would have sounded if he was on it.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Sep 14 2012, 09:08 PM)
I got in the car this morning, put my iPod on shuffle, and "Yours is No Disgrace" came on. Whetting my appetite, I decided to play The Yes Album. This was followed by Fragile and CTTE. I'm on Tales at the moment, and I'd forgotten that it's actually a really good album, asides from most of "The Ancient". (Leaves of Green saves me from skipping that song altogether.) I think I'm going to go all the way through Drama tonight.

Also, I really paid attention to Bruford's drumming when listening to those records he was on... I can only imagine how Relayer would have sounded if he was on it.

1022.gif Every album from The Yes Album to Relayer just absolutely kicks butt! 1022.gif

Bruford was great, but Alan's good, too, in the mid 70s. Some great work on Tales. smile.gif

Of course in the grand scheme, Bruford is far superior. yes.gif

As good a rock drummer as Alan White is, Yes really lost something when Bruford left. It was the first time that a band member was replaced by someone who was not better than the person who left.

Bruford was also the first member to leave by his own choosing.

QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Sep 16 2012, 02:19 PM)

As good a rock drummer as Alan White is, Yes really lost something when Bruford left. It was the first time that a band member was replaced by someone who was not better than the person who left.

Bruford was also the first member to leave by his own choosing.

I'm glad he did wink.gif

http://lirama.net/static/images/albumthumbs/51269.jpg

Bruford and White play very different styles, and they're both really, really good - with the nod going to Bruford, easily.

Alan White sounds great, but he looks awkward when he plays. Hard to define, but he doesn't "look" smooth or graceful. It looks like he's trying to keep up when there is no doubt that he has NO trouble keeping up at all. He just looks a little clumsy. Still a great prog drummer though!