The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 25 2012, 02:55 AM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jul 25 2012, 03:36 AM)
Chris Squire did do some damage to my parent's speakers back it the day.  Please don't tell. bolt.gif

Did he sit on them?

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 22 2012, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 22 2012, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 22 2012, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 19 2012, 11:08 AM)
Oh, and by the way, I don't think that there is anything wrong with the way Yes does things. They are still one of my favorite bands.

Except you don't think they've done anything worth while since the 70's.

And Howe and Squire are complete dicks.

Solid point. I think that they always have been though.

Personally, abandoning Jon was what pushed the limit. You're certainly entitled to your opinion though.

True, but they did that to him back in 79 and brought him back for commercial reasons. They fought diligently from 85-87 and there was a moment or two where Roger Hodgson was going to replace him in 93 or so. I see Squire as a complete cash hound that only does what he thinks is going to bring him the most money. Tony in 70 and 94...Steve in 83...Jon numerous times...if Rick didn't quit 30 times he probably would have canned him too.

I like his bass playing and songwriting up till the end of the 70s. There are some moments from the last 35 years or so that I enjoy, but none of it compares to the output from 69-77.

Just thought I'd chime in and say that "I See You" is a fantastic song. I'm listening to the debut, and boy I forgot how good it is.

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 25 2012, 08:43 PM)
so much hate in this thread!

you'd think chris squire was gene simmons

Gene Simmons with make-up looks more like Chris Squire than Gene Simmons without make-up.

So long as Chunkynuts and Skeletor-on-a-diet continue to besmirch the reputation of this once great band, they're fair game.

I'll always love the music though. Yeah Zanny, the debut is a peach. :-)

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 19 2012, 11:04 AM)
You know, I don't think that Yes has committed a single piece of original music to wax since Tormato...maybe Drama and the Ladder.

Drama relied heavily on the influence of the Buggles coming on board.

90125 was a Cinema album that relied heavily on Trevor Rabin's songwriting which while good, was not very Yesish.

Ditto Big Generator

Union had more additional keyboard players than most symphonies have violinists. Also, Jimmy Haun allegedly played on more of the album than Steve Howe.

Talk was a great solo album by Trevor Rabin

The Keys stuff relied heavily on recycled stuff as well. Some coming from a short lived stint with Jimmy Page.

Open Your Eyes was a Billy Sherwood/Chris Squire album with contributions (overdubs) by members of Yes.

Magnification was heavily influenced by Larry Groupe who worked arrangements as well as structure to the songs.

Fly From Here was recycled from throw-away tunes from the Buggles era...complete with the Buggles input.

Now don't get me wrong. I love yes and quite enjoy most of the aforementioned albums. I am not diminishing their quality at all. There are some that I love and some that I like. Ok, I hate OYE and most of The Ladder.

My point is, that whenever Yes has done something over the last few decades, they have had outside help even if it meant making that person part of the band.

you forgot about The Ladder. decent album.

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/y/yes/album-the-ladder.jpg

Actually, I thought it was necessary to listen to Time and a Word after listening to the debut because of Peter Banks... and now I'm on The Yes Album. Fragile is next. I guess you can figure what's going to happen next cool.gif

Yep, I think I'm back into Yes biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 25 2012, 06:28 PM)
Actually, I thought it was necessary to listen to Time and a Word after listening to the debut because of Peter Banks... and now I'm on The Yes Album. Fragile is next. I guess you can figure what's going to happen next cool.gif

Yep, I think I'm back into Yes biggrin.gif

go see them next tuesday in atlanta, otherwise there's probably gonna be about four people there

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 25 2012, 07:31 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 25 2012, 06:28 PM)

Yep, I think I'm back into Yes  biggrin.gif

go see them next tuesday in atlanta, otherwise there's probably gonna be about four people there

I would if I wasn't going to be in Milwaukee... besides, I'm still not too keen about seeing Yes without Jon. It would be nice to go to, but it's not a priority.

Jesus, I'd forgotten how beautiful the ending of "Close to the Edge" was wub.gif

I don't think CTTE as a whole is their best (hello Relayer bekloppt.gif ) but it's certainly up there.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 25 2012, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 19 2012, 11:04 AM)
You know, I don't think that Yes has committed a single piece of original music to wax since Tormato...maybe Drama and the Ladder.

Drama relied heavily on the influence of the Buggles coming on board.

90125 was a Cinema album that relied heavily on Trevor Rabin's songwriting which while good, was not very Yesish.

Ditto Big Generator

Union had more additional keyboard players than most symphonies have violinists. Also, Jimmy Haun allegedly played on more of the album than Steve Howe.

Talk was a great solo album by Trevor Rabin

The Keys stuff relied heavily on recycled stuff as well. Some coming from a short lived stint with Jimmy Page.

Open Your Eyes was a Billy Sherwood/Chris Squire album with contributions (overdubs) by members of Yes.

Magnification was heavily influenced by Larry Groupe who worked arrangements as well as structure to the songs.

Fly From Here was recycled from throw-away tunes from the Buggles era...complete with the Buggles input.

Now don't get me wrong. I love yes and quite enjoy most of the aforementioned albums. I am not diminishing their quality at all. There are some that I love and some that I like. Ok, I hate OYE and most of The Ladder.

My point is, that whenever Yes has done something over the last few decades, they have had outside help even if it meant making that person part of the band.

you forgot about The Ladder. decent album.

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/y/yes/album-the-ladder.jpg

No, I put it up there. I mentioned it as original along with Drama. I also mentioned that I don't care for most of it. Homeworld is a fantastic piece of music, though.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 25 2012, 04:36 PM)
Just thought I'd chime in and say that "I See You" is a fantastic song. I'm listening to the debut, and boy I forgot how good it is.

I see you is a fantastic song. I love the entire debut album.

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 25 2012, 03:43 PM)

I wouldn't call it hate. I count Chris Squire as one of my biggest musical influences, but the guy has done some things in the past that show what he is after. There is nothing wrong with that. None of his behavior changes my opinion of him...as for the Gene Simmons comment, he kind of is like him but on a lesser scale. Chris Squire action figures and an Fish Out Of Water lunch box would rule, though.

Ah, Fish Out Of Water....I know what I am listening to today.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 27 2012, 05:27 AM)

I wouldn't call it hate. I count Chris Squire as one of my biggest musical influences, but the guy has done some things in the past that show what he is after. There is nothing wrong with that. None of his behavior changes my opinion of him...as for the Gene Simmons comment, he kind of is like him but on a lesser scale. Chris Squire action figures and an Fish Out Of Water lunch box would rule, though.

I, like so many others, have put up with a lot of Drama from Yes over the years. I even reluctantly stuck with them on Fly From Here, because I think it's a really strong album.

But to now dump Benoit and bring in ANOTHER tribute band singer? wtf.gif This was the perfect oppourtunity to make things right and reunite with Jon, and they blew it big time. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I'm passing on this tour, and judging from the weak ticket sales at my venue it looks like a lot of other fans are done with them as well. sad.gif

I will support them if/when they do a reunion/farewell tour with Jon. Other than that, I don't see myself supporting them again live. Sad to say, because they were always my second-favorite live band, behind only Rush. sad.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 27 2012, 05:20 PM)

I, like so many others, have put up with a lot of Drama from Yes over the years. I even reluctantly stuck with them on Fly From Here, because I think it's a really strong album.

But to now dump Benoit and bring in ANOTHER tribute band singer? wtf.gif This was the perfect oppourtunity to make things right and reunite with Jon, and they blew it big time. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I'm passing on this tour, and judging from the weak ticket sales at my venue it looks like a lot of other fans are done with them as well. sad.gif

I will support them if/when they do a reunion/farewell tour with Jon. Other than that, I don't see myself supporting them again live. Sad to say, because they were always my second-favorite live band, behind only Rush. sad.gif

Squire was threatening to get a singer from a tribute band back in 2006. That was when I finally opened my eyes (pun intended) and said No to Yes.

QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Jul 27 2012, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 27 2012, 05:20 PM)

Squire was threatening to get a singer from a tribute band back in 2006. That was when I finally opened my eyes (pun intended) and said No to Yes.

He should get a bass player from a tribute band too, so he can be completely free to become the band's caterer, thus making sure that he gets the lion's share of the food every time...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 27 2012, 04:53 PM)
He should get a bass player from a tribute band too, so he can be completely free to become the band's caterer, thus making sure that he gets the lion's share of the food every time...

z7shysterical.gif

As long as the tribute guy wears tight leggings and big puffy shirts and does plenty of leg kicks. tongue.gif

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 27 2012, 07:28 PM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jul 27 2012, 06:09 PM)
I wonder who would win a pie eating contest between Chris Squire and Greg Lake?

alex lifeson

rofl3.gif no.gif

John Wetton