The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jun 19 2012, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (Django @ Jun 19 2012, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 19 2012, 03:03 PM)
I'd go see them live if they were playing near me. I'd like to see Procol Harum as well if they are still going to tour this summer. Gary Brooker apparently fell and fractured his skull. They said he's recovering and will be able to tour but I'm wondering if he'll need more time off.

And I still don't get why they fired Oliver Wakeman and replaced him with Geoff Downes. wtf.gif Downes was pretty bad live last year.

The Oliver Wakeman gimmick didn't work, so Squire tried the "Get Trevor Horn to produce, and Geoff Downes on keyboards so we can finally record all 26 minutes of Fly From Here" gimmick.

true smile.gif

...and some of us liked it. Wakeman Jnr was just a pale copy of his old man...he had to go!

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 15 2012, 03:06 PM)
QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 15 2012, 01:37 PM)
anyone been to a show on their current tour? i'm seeing them july 31st

saw them last year with Styx. they are a shell of their former selves. it was sad.

Indeed. My first and last Yes concert. I left early. The only memorable part was Howe on the steel guitar in You and I...

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 16 2012, 11:58 AM)

saw them last year with Styx. they are a shell of their former selves. it was sad.

Indeed. My first and last Yes concert. I left early. The only memorable part was Howe on the steel guitar in You and I...

His solo(s) in Yours is No Disgrace were great too. cool.gif Tempus Fugit was fun... Oh yeah Starship Trooper was cool too.

The concert wasn't bad... just sort of average. Styx laid Yes down on the floor and shot them 188 times each with rocket launchers. wink.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 16 2012, 09:26 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 16 2012, 11:58 AM)

His solo(s) in Yours is No Disgrace were great too. cool.gif Tempus Fugit was fun... Oh yeah Starship Trooper was cool too.

The concert wasn't bad... just sort of average. Styx laid Yes down on the floor and shot them 188 times each with rocket launchers. wink.gif

"Tempus Fugit" was "Tempo Forgot"

His other solos were good of course, but nothing really hit me.

Less than a decent concert. A bad experience and an all out waste of time. I regret it.

hockey.gif

Edited by Mr. IsNot

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 15 2012, 07:11 PM)
Chris Squire is looking more like King Henry VIII with each passing day.

user posted image

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 18 2012, 01:15 PM)
Not sure how I found this exactly, but I did:
http://youtu.be/Zc_BBmTcZ_U?t=7m1s

Keytar heaven!

Here's some more good news. Yessongs is on Blu Ray:

http://www.amazon.com/Yessongs-40th-Annive...y/dp/B007CKHPD6

UK version:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yessongs-Blu-ray-A...8970685-7296531

Edited by drbirdsong

You know, I don't think that Yes has committed a single piece of original music to wax since Tormato...maybe Drama and the Ladder.

Drama relied heavily on the influence of the Buggles coming on board.

90125 was a Cinema album that relied heavily on Trevor Rabin's songwriting which while good, was not very Yesish.

Ditto Big Generator

Union had more additional keyboard players than most symphonies have violinists. Also, Jimmy Haun allegedly played on more of the album than Steve Howe.

Talk was a great solo album by Trevor Rabin

The Keys stuff relied heavily on recycled stuff as well. Some coming from a short lived stint with Jimmy Page.

Open Your Eyes was a Billy Sherwood/Chris Squire album with contributions (overdubs) by members of Yes.

Magnification was heavily influenced by Larry Groupe who worked arrangements as well as structure to the songs.

Fly From Here was recycled from throw-away tunes from the Buggles era...complete with the Buggles input.

Now don't get me wrong. I love yes and quite enjoy most of the aforementioned albums. I am not diminishing their quality at all. There are some that I love and some that I like. Ok, I hate OYE and most of The Ladder.

My point is, that whenever Yes has done something over the last few decades, they have had outside help even if it meant making that person part of the band.

Oh, and by the way, I don't think that there is anything wrong with the way Yes does things. They are still one of my favorite bands.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 19 2012, 11:08 AM)
Oh, and by the way, I don't think that there is anything wrong with the way Yes does things. They are still one of my favorite bands.

Except you don't think they've done anything worth while since the 70's.

And Howe and Squire are complete dicks.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 22 2012, 03:32 PM)

Solid point. I think that they always have been though.

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 22 2012, 03:20 PM)
on the yes forum, the recent shows are getting a lot of praise. davison or whatever his name is is supposedly a much better singer/performer than benoit

He sucks, hard. I just watched some of the stuff. It's HORRIBLE.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 22 2012, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 22 2012, 03:32 PM)

Solid point. I think that they always have been though.

Personally, abandoning Jon was what pushed the limit. You're certainly entitled to your opinion though.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 22 2012, 08:18 PM)
on the yes forum, the recent shows are getting a lot of praise. davison or whatever his name is is supposedly a much better singer/performer than benoit

damn, I'm already locked into going :/

should be....funny, i guess? i mean, it's a free show

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jul 23 2012, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ May 29 2012, 04:48 PM)
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/SteveHowe.jpg

wink.gif

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h411/tklos/random%20pics/stevehoweskeletor.png

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 23 2012, 11:02 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 22 2012, 08:18 PM)

damn, I'm already locked into going :/

should be....funny, i guess? i mean, it's a free show

Free is good . Go to Youtube for the Classic Yes or get a d.v.d. Great stuff but they are now a shell of what they were

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jul 23 2012, 07:59 AM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ May 29 2012, 04:48 PM)
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/SteveHowe.jpg

wink.gif

No, f*ck off!

Edited by Mr. IsNot

I love how my Philips Fidelio stereo (with extra bass!) can't handle Chris' bass in "America". Either the speaker's faulty (it's done this on other songs with heavy bass) or it can't handle heavy bass.