The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

Oh... now I know why they don't get along. That sucks. Squire 's tore up, that's for sure. Last interview of squire I saw look like he was hungover and high on coke. Couldn't stop sniffling or wiping his nose. I could be wrong but I can usually tell.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed. Their days can't be far from over. Who knows, though...

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 9 2012, 05:20 PM)
Yes has made itself more like "nope".

I saw them once per decade since eighties, and I think I'm about done. They haven't done a good album since the seventies, either.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Feb 9 2012, 05:54 PM)

I saw them once per decade since eighties, and I think I'm about done. They haven't done a good album since the seventies, either.

Fly From Here begs to differ.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 10 2012, 04:49 AM)

Fly From Here is the aural equivalent of a wart on a gorilla's buttocks.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 10 2012, 06:36 AM)

as an album?

FFH > Union > Magnification > Close Your Eyes > The Ladder

^ (and only one of those features David on vocals)

PURPLE CAPE FOR THE WIN!

OK

reality sucks (this has been a depressing thread for far too long)

let's change it up!

^ Steve miming Peter's guitar lines is a little strange... (and Chris and Tony are sooooo hiiiiiigh - oh yeah...)

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 10 2012, 03:02 PM)

as an album?

I'm in a tiny minority here, but I love Magnification.

There are enough decent ABWH moments and the odd inspired Rabin moment on Union to make it better than FFH.

The Ladder has Homeworld, the last decent epic. There is nothing of comparison on FFH.

Close Your Eyes is appalling, from miserable start to mangy finish.

For FFH, I blame Horn for not pushing the band, they just phoned it in, and Squire for decades of creative inertia and horrible, flat vocal delivery.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 10 2012, 10:16 AM)
I'm in a tiny minority here, but I love Magnification.

Same here

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 10 2012, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 10 2012, 03:02 PM)

as an album?

...The Ladder has Homeworld, the last decent epic. There is nothing of comparison on FFH...

'The Ladder' is literally cringe-worthy (that's not to say there aren't a few of those moments to go around on FFH) - but 'The Ladder' as an album is truly the sound of a band 'going backwards'

it's embarrassing, and make FFH's disappointments much less offensive in comparison

And yes change a member for the 18th time. Wow, i didn't see that coming. It must immediately suck if jon anderson isn't singing. I mean, why even bother giving it a chance?

(full disclosure) haven't listened to 'Magnification' since 2001, and it was only once... (I was working for a record store) and I threw the promo disc out the window on my way home from work

so, to be fair...

np: Magnification

http://www.spirit-of-rock.com/les%20goupes/Y/Yes/Magnification/Magnification.jpg

1. Magnification

> ...starts with old-Yes-by-numbers (does anyone in this band 'remember' Big Generator' and '90125'? apparently not)... and wow, that chorus is horrid (and those orchestral flourishes afterward are silly)... wait - did Jon just sing "mag-nif-I-cay, mag-nif-I-cay-shuuunnn"? wow...(moving on)

2. Spirit Of Survival

> I'm beginning to remember one of the principal things I hated about this album ten years ago... the silly orchestration - it's so vanilla, not creative, fights/overwhelms the song... not that there's much of a song here - trying to draft a straight-up 4/4 rawk beat over back-in-the-day prog flourishes... god, this sucks (and we're only 13 minutes in!)

3. Don't Go

> okay, an interesting modern intro... that descends into an impossible-to-comprehend goofy Nickelodeon kid's theme song-style jam... the chorus is AWESOME though, wow! holy crap, it's really really good - very Rabin-era, tight backing vocals, great bass/guitar riffing... what a FRUSTRATING song (and yeah, by the time we they decide that a f*cking car horn sample would be cool, I'm out)

4. Give Love Each Day

> whatever film soundtrack they were trying to audition for, they obviously didn't get the callback... right? zzz

5. Can You Imagine

> Foreigner's 'Cold As Ice', add strings (of course) and let Chris sing... *sigh*

6. We Agree

> "...danger is the most important fear you'll ever know..." - wow (and hey! more crappy strings!!!)

7. Soft As A Dove

> Yes Rule #223: you never let Jon have this much control over a song

...and I really can't stomach any more (and don't even try to tell me 'dude, wait - it really gets cooking after 'Dove'!)

this is soulless, regressive retread music - they're not even trying to incorporate the idea that the 21st century exists

it's albums like this that validate (at the time) what a great decision Trevor Rabin was

Edited by ghostworks

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 10 2012, 09:03 AM)
(full disclosure) haven't listened to 'Magnification' since 2001, and it was only once... (I was working for a record store) and I threw the promo disc out the window on my way home from work

so, to be fair...

np: Magnification
http://www.spirit-of-rock.com/les%20goupes/Y/Yes/Magnification/Magnification.jpg

1. Magnification
> ...starts with old-Yes-by-numbers (does anyone in this band 'remember' Big Generator' and '90125'? apparently not)... and wow, that chorus is horrid (and those orchestral flourishes afterward are silly)... wait - did Jon just sing "mag-nif-I-cay, mag-nif-I-cay-shuuunnn"? wow...(moving on)

2. Spirit Of Survival
> I'm beginning to remember one of the principal things I hated about this album ten years ago... the silly orchestration - it's so vanilla, not creative, fights/overwhelms the song... not that there's much of a song here - trying to draft a straight-up 4/4 rawk beat over back-in-the-day prog flourishes... god, this sucks (and we're only 13 minutes in!)

3. Don't Go
> okay, an interesting modern intro... that descends into an impossible-to-comprehend goofy Nickelodeon kid's theme song-style jam... the chorus is AWESOME though, wow! holy crap, it's really really good - very Rabin-era, tight backing vocals, great bass/guitar riffing... what a FRUSTRATING song (and yeah, by the time we they decide that a f*cking car horn sample would be cool, I'm out)

4. Give Love Each Day
> whatever film soundtrack they were trying to audition for, they obviously didn't get the callback... right? zzz

5. Can You Imagine
> Foreigner's 'Cold As Ice', add strings (of course) and let Chris sing... *sigh*

6. We Agree
> "...danger is the most important fear you'll ever know..." - wow (and hey! more crappy strings!!!)

7. Soft As A Dove
> Yes Rule #223: you never let Jon have this much control over a song

...and I really can't stomach any more (and don't even try to tell me 'dude, wait - it really gets cooking after 'Dove'!)

this is soulless, regressive retread music - they're not even trying to incorporate the idea that the 21st century exists

it's albums like this that validate (at the time) what a great decision Trevor Rabin was

dude, stop beating around the bush and tell us what you REALLY think! tongue.gif

almost all post-90125 Yes music i've heard is pretty sucky, with the occasional exception.