The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 4 2011, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Dec 4 2011, 01:01 PM)
listening to to the new live album on spotify
it's pretty shit
but corkscrew is great, of course.

I'm not a huge Yes fan, so I'm not coming at this with a ton of experience with the band. But I've heard all the standards, and own a couple of things.

I listened to three songs off the new live album on Spotify and that was waaaay more than enough for me. The musicianship was not very good, the songs I'm familiar with didn't sound right (slower) and the vocals - the backing vocals especially - weren't good at all.

The new lineup has been playing the songs extremely slow and sloppy, and the new lead singer struggles to sound like Jon Anderson. I'd check out their older albums like Close To The Edge, Fragile, and Going For The One if you haven't already.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 4 2011, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 4 2011, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Dec 4 2011, 01:01 PM)
listening to to the new live album on spotify
it's pretty shit
but corkscrew is great, of course.

I'm not a huge Yes fan, so I'm not coming at this with a ton of experience with the band. But I've heard all the standards, and own a couple of things.

I listened to three songs off the new live album on Spotify and that was waaaay more than enough for me. The musicianship was not very good, the songs I'm familiar with didn't sound right (slower) and the vocals - the backing vocals especially - weren't good at all.

The new lineup has been playing the songs extremely slow and sloppy, and the new lead singer struggles to sound like Jon Anderson. I'd check out their older albums like Close To The Edge, Fragile, and Going For The One if you haven't already.

Agree completely. Saw them on the same tour this new album covers and they were dreadful. Totally mailed it in. Not wasting money to see them again. Rip off.

I'm thinking of getting the 'Songs from Tsongas' DVD. It seems to get very mixed reviews. (Like most Yes vids.) What's your thoughts or musings on this DVD? Is there, or will there be, a Bluray version?

trink39.gif

Edited by Shifty

I saw them back in July. It's hard to admit, but co-headliners Styx blew them off the stage.

They can still play and on Fly From Here and In The Present: Live From Lyon Benoit David does a very good Trevor Horn.

It's all a mixed bag with Yes and it has been since 1980. I have come to terms with what Yes is and what it will never be again. They got together in 1995-96 and again for the 35th anniversary and did some good work, but the baggage will never allow a once great band to get "it" back again. "It" is gone.

On the new live album the Drama songs sound great and some of the others, but it will never be the same again.

Another singer!!!!!! Ah ha ha ha ha!!!! Be still my beating heart!

WAAANNNNKERRSSS!

So, that's 2 sick singers they've ditched.

From the official Yes FB page:

YES Recruit New Singer.

Prog rock band YES were forced to cancel the last 3 shows of their European Tour in December due to the illness of lead vocalist Benoit David who has still not recovered. To avoid disappointing their fans on the forthcoming Australasian leg of their world tour, they have found a replacement singer. Jon Davison will join YES as lead vocalist for the upcoming dates in New Zealand, Australia, Japan, Indonesia, and Hawaii. YES really appreciate Jon Davison joining them for this leg of the tour and are sure this arrangement will satisfy all YES fans

(New vocalist is the singer with Glass Hammer & tribute band Roundabout)

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

No. It will not satisfy ALL Yes fans.

Another abrupt departure by a Yes band member. Give it up, gentlemen. You're past your expiration date.

It is time to close up shop boy's . Chris can then finish eating Howe and everyone can walk off into the sunset

BTW , i tried listening to 90210 agian yesterday before the Super Bowl , Never agian no.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 6 2012, 04:19 PM)
It is time to close up shop boy's . Chris can then finish eating Howe and everyone can walk off into the sunset

Not much picking on dem bones. The vultures stopped circling over Howe years ago.

This statement is the epitome of arrogance:

"are sure this arrangement will satisfy all YES fans"

It will satisfy your bank balances chaps, nothing more.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 6 2012, 11:21 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 6 2012, 04:21 PM)
BTW , i tried listening to 90210  agian yesterday before the Super Bowl ,  Never agian  no.gif

You love it, and you know it.

laugh.gif

I really like Benoit David's vocals so I hope they'll bring him back once he's better. But if they don't then I hope the new guy is at least as good if not better. Of course the best thing would be to just bring back Jon Anderson.

Oh and in case you guys were wondering, Jon Davison was actually in a Yes tribute band and sang lead vocals on the last two Glass Hammer albums. Here's a sample (vocals start at 1:07):

QUOTE (adace1 @ Feb 6 2012, 11:59 AM)
Oh and in case you guys were wondering, Jon Davison was actually in a Yes tribute band and sang lead vocals on the last two Glass Hammer albums. Here's a sample (vocals start at 1:07):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX2tpEK-nbg&feature=related

The guy sounds as much like Jon Anderson as David did. I'd really like to see the band reign it all in, get in shape and bring Anderson back in for a final album and tour, but I'm not holding my breath. I can't blame a musician for wanting to tour and play live, but they are getting into a funny/sad/pathetic place lately.

If he can sing better than Benoit, that sure, but really???

Another replacement??

Jon Anderson is in perfect health - he's touring himself? Why not bring him back - maybe then you'd make some real money! yes.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 6 2012, 03:50 PM)

Another replacement??

Jon Anderson is in perfect health - he's touring himself? Why not bring him back - maybe then you'd make some real money! yes.gif

They don't need any more Money, Chris just needs more Fish and Chips

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 6 2012, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 6 2012, 03:50 PM)

Another replacement??

They don't need any more Money, Chris just needs more Fish and Chips

Thats the last thing he needs... thats why he has a fan blow on him, hes all big n' sweaty!!! laugh.gif