The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 26 2011, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 26 2011, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 26 2011, 12:08 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 26 2011, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 26 2011, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 26 2011, 11:32 AM)
...just got an advanced copy of the new Yes album "Fly From Here". I'm glad to report that so far it doesn't suck. Good to hear some Trevor Horn vocals. Has a bit of a Drama vibe.

interesting!

...let's have a sample then, shall we? yes.gif

just finished it. First impression, very middle of the road and kind of mellow. The Drama comparison was premature. All in all, not a bad listen.

(* ahem) how about a real sample (i.e. post a song or two?)

trink38.gif

Sorry can't, I'll get in trouble. It's work related.

pish posh

that's such a 2009 attitude, friend wink.gif

cool.gif

(as an industry insider) trust me when I tell you:

ripping a few tracks from a new 'Yes' album to 192k mp3's and sending them one at a time to someone in a private email is nothing Yes or Frontiers Records cares about

in fact, if you asked them they'd probably welcome the attention

Lady Gaga they ain't

In other news:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225608_224487120901547_100000207837867_1059143_363334_n.jpg

Someone needs to learn how to take a screenshot.. Nonetheless, there it is..

Edited by Kenneth

QUOTE (Kenneth @ May 27 2011, 06:13 AM)
In other news:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225608_224487120901547_100000207837867_1059143_363334_n.jpg

notworthy.gif rofl3.gif applaudit.gif

I'm listening to this Yes remix album done by Steve Howe's son. It's actually pretty cool. anyone else familiar with this?

Wiki: Yes Remixes is a remix album featuring the songs of progressive rock band Yes and was released in 2003. Taking material harking back from 1970's Time and a Word to 1980's Drama, Virgil Howe a.k.a "The Verge" (and son of Steve Howe) re-imagined Yes's music into a techno context, dramatically altering the band's sound.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ May 27 2011, 02:13 AM)
In other news:

I want to do that!

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 27 2011, 05:19 PM)
I'm listening to this Yes remix album done by Steve Howe's son. It's actually pretty cool. anyone else familiar with this?

Wiki: Yes Remixes is a remix album featuring the songs of progressive rock band Yes and was released in 2003. Taking material harking back from 1970's Time and a Word to 1980's Drama, Virgil Howe a.k.a "The Verge" (and son of Steve Howe) re-imagined Yes's music into a techno context, dramatically altering the band's sound.

Virgil did a good job, love No Clowns.

Has anyone here listened to Billy Sherwood's projets Circa and Yoso? I heard Circa last night on XM radio so I checked them out on YouTube. I think they're a solid band and Sherwood is underrated. I also checked out Yoso and they were good too. I'm not familiar with Toto (I've heard mostly negative opinions on them), but Bobby Kimball seemed to be a decent singer.

Give it a chance.

Musically it should be good. I just hope Benoit David isn't trying to sound like Jon Anderson. I just want him to sound like Benoit David. Whatever that is...

And once the tour is over, and it's a year later, I sure hope that Yes puts together a final short tour with Jon Anderson at the vocals to finish up the band's career on a high note.

Because if this is how the band is going to finish up, I see that as somewhat of a letdown.

Edited by Mr. Krinkle

I'm mildly interested

as I posted before, the facts of David's employment with the band will be my biggest hurdle:

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Oct 14 2010, 10:13 AM)
a few 'difficulties' I have with accepting Benoit David as a bona fide member of Yes:

he was drafted into Yes as a 'temp' so that they could keep their tour commitments while Jon recovered from his illness - that's it

he didn't 'audition' - Yes weren't looking to replace a singer (Jon never 'quit')

in fact, Yes only became aware of David via his work as a Jon Anderson mimic in a Yes tribute band, not for his vocal talents in their own right

for a little contrast, back in the 'pre-Drama' days, Jon (and Rick) had officially left the band

and Trevor Horn wasn't singing in a Yes tribute band when he 'got the call' from Squire

Trevor and Geoff (Downes) were writing, performing and producing their own music (Buggles)

for these reasons alone, I have no 'problem' accepting Drama/the Drama tour as an 'official' version of Yes

conversely, any album/tour that involves a Yes w/Benoit David is offensive

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 2 2011, 09:56 AM)
I'm mildly interested

as I posted before, the facts of David's employment with the band will be my biggest hurdle:

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Oct 14 2010, 10:13 AM)
a few 'difficulties' I have with accepting Benoit David as a bona fide member of Yes:

he was drafted into Yes as a 'temp' so that they could keep their tour commitments while Jon recovered from his illness - that's it

he didn't 'audition' - Yes weren't looking to replace a singer (Jon never 'quit')

in fact, Yes only became aware of David via his work as a Jon Anderson mimic in a Yes tribute band, not for his vocal talents in their own right

for a little contrast, back in the 'pre-Drama' days, Jon (and Rick) had officially left the band

and Trevor Horn wasn't singing in a Yes tribute band when he 'got the call' from Squire

Trevor and Geoff (Downes) were writing, performing and producing their own music (Buggles)

for these reasons alone, I have no 'problem' accepting Drama/the Drama tour as an 'official' version of Yes

conversely, any album/tour that involves a Yes w/Benoit David is offensive

From what I remember, Jon and Rick left the band before the Drama album was finished, in fact during the rough demo stage.

The band was contracted to do an album and tour so Chris called up Trevor Horn and he brought in Geoff Downes as well. They recorded the album and scheduled the tour but none of the fans knew that Jon and Rick were gone and replaced with the Buggles.

I don't think that went too well with the unsuspecting fans as the tour started.

The Drama album is stellar in every sense of the word though.

I just hope that this new album is half as good as Drama.

Edited by Mr. Krinkle

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 1 2011, 09:15 PM)
QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jun 1 2011, 10:43 PM)
I can't help but feel the new album will be a letdown

Let's hope not!

It's a solid album. keep the expectations in check.

ok

as a self-admitted fan who's expectations were zero for this album, and with full prejudice dead set against Yes in general lately (and Benoit David specifically)...

...I'm loving it

there's so much Buggles meets Asia going on here it's almost not 'Yes' enough

I haven't cared about a new Yes album since Big Generator/ABWH

maybe Jon Anderson's absence is exactly what this band needed*

(* I reserve the right to come back down to earth)

right now I am having that rare 'damn, I can't wait for this CD' moment

th1245.gif

Edited by ghostworks