The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 11 2009, 04:38 PM)
It was originally going to be called Yes Tor based on a power thing in Devon, England.

Yes Tor is a hill. yes.gif

'Tor' means hill. yes.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 11 2009, 06:12 PM)
Instead they called it TOR MAH TOH (the way Jon Anderson says it on the Yes DVD I have)

Yeah, because the artist who worked on the cover art got frustrated over it and threw a tomato at it. And they left it like that. eyesre4.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Mar 11 2009, 03:16 PM)
Instead they called it TOR MAH TOH (the way Jon Anderson says it on the Yes DVD I have)

Yeah, because the artist who worked on the cover art got frustrated over it and threw a tomato at it. And they left it like that. eyesre4.gif tongue.gif

You mean Rick, correct?

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Mar 11 2009, 07:18 PM)

You mean Rick, correct?

What, Rick wanted to leave it like that? I can't remember that...

QUOTE (Jaye @ Mar 11 2009, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Mar 11 2009, 07:18 PM)

You mean Rick, correct?

What, Rick wanted to leave it like that? I can't remember that...

No, that Rick threw the tomato. I remember reading that the artist "adjusted it accordingly" in the Tormato liner notes.

Edited by Xanadu93

From "Close to the Edge: The Story of Yes", it was the album cover designer from Hipgnosis. He was so disgusted with the results he had so far and threw a tomato at it.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 11 2009, 07:44 PM)
From "Close to the Edge: The Story of Yes", it was the album cover designer from Hipgnosis. He was so disgusted with the results he had so far and threw a tomato at it.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. And that's where I read it too! biggrin.gif

I don't remember reading anything about Rick throwing the tomato..

QUOTE (Jaye @ Mar 11 2009, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 11 2009, 07:44 PM)

Yes, that's what I was talking about. And that's where I read it too! biggrin.gif

I don't remember reading anything about Rick throwing the tomato..

Funny thing is that on the Classic Artists DVD with Yes, the cover designer is not mentioned. They make it sound like the band members themselves were responsible for throwing it.

I'm watching Classic Artists: Yes right now, about 10 minutes in, on rent from iTunes. I'll probably buy it on dvd sometime.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 11 2009, 11:33 AM)
Tormato rulez. 1022.gif

yes.gif

I was just angry as a neuterd pit bull when I discovered that my copy of YES' Greatest Video Hits did not have a copy of 'Silent Wings Of Freedom' on there. Well, at first I wasn't mad a'tall because I knew exactly what was on there when I purchased it. But, then, one late night I'm watching VH1 and on comes this very rare YES video for Silent Wings. Not only is it a great piece of music, but the video has this extended section where the boys just jiz-am in the studio during the Tormato sessions. The vid's got to be 8:00 glorious minutes long.

Then I start thinking about my YES video collection and how it's short to begin with, and how it has two tracks from 9012Live which would come out in a full edition only a few years later, and how it wouldn't have been much effort at all to put the dang 'Silent Wings' video on there as a regular selection, or possible bonus track. I don't know what the reasoning was for the exclusion Maybe they wanted to keep it as a 'Greatest' Video Hits collection, which is laughable to begin with because, well, YES is not a 'Hits' sorta band. And, now I'm still without a copy of this dang vid. There's other cool footage from these Tormato sessions, and maybe, who knows, it will see a release in some other form in the future. That be nice for us I think.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 14 2009, 12:10 AM)
I was just angry as a neuterd pit bull when I discovered that my copy of YES' Greatest Video Hits did not have a copy of 'Silent Wings Of Freedom' on there. Well, at first I wasn't mad a'tall because I knew exactly what was on there when I purchased it. But, then, one late night I'm watching VH1 and on comes this very rare YES video for Silent Wings. Not only is it a great piece of music, but the video has this extended section where the boys just jiz-am in the studio during the Tormato sessions. The vid's got to be 8:00 glorious minutes long.

Then I start thinking about my YES video collection and how it's short to begin with, and how it has two tracks from 9012Live which would come out in a full edition only a few years later, and how it wouldn't have been much effort at all to put the dang 'Silent Wings' video on there as a regular selection, or possible bonus track. I don't know what the reasoning was for the exclusion Maybe they wanted to keep it as a 'Greatest' Video Hits collection, which is laughable to begin with because, well, YES is not a 'Hits' sorta band. And, now I'm still without a copy of this dang vid. There's other cool footage from these Tormato sessions, and maybe, who knows, it will see a release in some other form in the future. That be nice for us I think.

Is

what you're talking about? wink.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Mar 14 2009, 08:28 AM)
Is this what you're talking about? wink.gif

Yes. That, plus all of the following stuff, from the 76 - 79 period, plus whatever they have in their vaults, would make for another good vid release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXtyNTMILW4&feature=related

Going For The One sessions (1976)

Going For The One sessions (1) there's 12 sections

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljw_9XJC_AQ&feature=related

Parallels rehearsals Pt. 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzxfz56_Aeo&feature=related

Parallels rehearsals Pt. 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-dCjDC8TPk

Squire/White studio jam Montreux 1977

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 18 2009, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Mar 14 2009, 08:28 AM)
Is this what you're talking about?  wink.gif

Yes. That, plus all of the following stuff, from the 76 - 79 period, plus whatever they have in their vaults, would make for another good vid release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXtyNTMILW4&feature=related

Going For The One sessions (1976)

Going For The One sessions (1) there's 12 sections

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljw_9XJC_AQ&feature=related

Parallels rehearsals Pt. 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzxfz56_Aeo&feature=related

Parallels rehearsals Pt. 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-dCjDC8TPk

Squire/White studio jam Montreux 1977

And, if there was film from the solo album tour of 1976.....

Jon Anderson is now an official American citizen! (I'll post his Facebook page, so you can see the page.)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jon-Anderson...ewas=1242086760

I would post the post here, but he mentions some political stuff.... and I'm NOT going to talk about politics before dinner laugh.gif , or outside of SOCN!

I think any fan of Tales From Topgraphic Oceans or Jon's Olias Of Sunhillow will appreciate this short interview I found on YesFans.

http://yesfans.com/showthread.php?t=51638

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 30 2009, 10:56 AM)
I just Listened to "Big Generator" for the first time...

WHY THE HELL HAVE I NOT LISTENED TO THIS YET!?

It f***ing rocked! Better than 90125

Yeah, it's got some great songs on it. I'd say that 90125 and Big Generator are equally good.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 30 2009, 09:56 AM)
I just Listened to "Big Generator" for the first time...

WHY THE HELL HAVE I NOT LISTENED TO THIS YET!?

It f***ing rocked! Better than 90125

I happen to dig 90210 a bit more than any of the other important area codes in the continental United States. I especially like what they did with the re-mastering job and the addition of bonus tracks to this one. But, well, now hear me out on this idea, erm'k? Listen to the reasoning behind what I'm about to state at ya. On this particular remaster, they give the longtime YEZ fan some much-coveted treats...extra tunes from those now-mythical Cinema sessions. I'm McLovin' it! But, why not include them all? How many more times is Yes and the various record labels going to tease us and taunt us and bait us into buying more of these releases? This is not how a fan of any consequence is meant to be treated, gosh darnit.

I'll tell ya what they should have done with 90125. And, that case should serve as an example as to what now should be done with the Big Generator job. As far as I understand it, there's something like a twenty-minute version of the track 'Cinema' still in the vaults. The current remaster features three of the Cinema tracks, two with Rabin on the mic, one with Squire. Supposedly, there's a whole slate of early versions of the 90125 material that never surfaced. What should have manifested on this project is a seperate, bonus disc which would house all the important material still out there. This added cost would have been negligible compared to all the money pumped into the remastering itself. We were robbed, friends. I'm mad as heck. Vehemently so.

It's still not too late to salvage a Big Generator remaster though. There's stll a whole 'nother version of Generator out there. An early version produced and mixed by Trevor Horn. I've heard two high-gen copies of this recording which sounded awful due to all the copying and recopying. I assume that the original tapes are untainted though. What should happen with a Big Gen remaster is attaching a bonus disc with all the 'Aternate Generator' tracks, along with anything else that they might find of interest. How about getting this one right, Yes? What do they think, we won't be able to handle too much bonus material all in one serving? They underestimate the longtime Yes fan.

The thing about 90125 is that it was almost not a Yes album.. until Jon jumped on at the last minute.... and they decided to call it a Yes album.

Big Generator sounded much less commercial than 90125, and much more traditional...which I really liked.