The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 8 2009, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Feb 8 2009, 01:26 AM)
I am a huge Yes fan. Huge! Saw them back in the mid 70's kinda old Yes fan.

Well I have been just sorta watching all the "new" Yes line-up stuff evolve and have been fairly quiet about the whole thing. I wanted to wait and see. I've waited long enough...

I have listened to all the clips from the current tour on Youtube. Sorry, but I just don't think David is cutting it. Yes, he's very talented with a great voice but it's just not working.  new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif  He is trying to hard be Jon He fakes it pretty well but he doesn't feel it like Jon. He just DOES it. Watch some of the stuff Jon does and you can see him feel it. And that draws you in with him. Next thing you know you're feeling it too. It's an amazing experience that make Yes concerts the special gift that they are. David's work looks just an act and leaves me feeling kinda cheated. The emotions of Yes music seem to get lost with him. I feel for him. It's a hell of a tough act to follow. I'm now of the belief that no one could pull it off...so they shouldn't try. Wait for Jon!

Sorry to sound so negative here but this has just been bugging the hell out of me. I know, Jon has a major ego and all but after listening to all these clips, the choice is obvious. Jon MUST be in Yes or there just is no Yes anymore. I will NOT be supporting this tour. I just hope they can all get over this current crisis, Jon gets healthy and they tour together again.

By the way, I love all the Yes epics but Awaken is just blowing me away right now. What an amazing song! Some great live versions on Youtube. All except the one from the "Union Tour" with Trevor Rabin. He needed to just sit that song out. smile.gif

Ok, thanks for letting me rant. Take Care! Hurry back Jon!!!  yes.gif

On my Yes video, Steve Howe states that Trevor Rabin had a tendency to play in parts of a song where he wasn't supposed to. Steve said that if there wasn't a guitar part played in the original studio version, there was a reason for it.

Which video was that? (I don't have any Yes documentaries yet, and I would like one.)

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 8 2009, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 8 2009, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Feb 8 2009, 01:26 AM)
I am a huge Yes fan. Huge! Saw them back in the mid 70's kinda old Yes fan.

Well I have been just sorta watching all the "new" Yes line-up stuff evolve and have been fairly quiet about the whole thing. I wanted to wait and see. I've waited long enough...

I have listened to all the clips from the current tour on Youtube. Sorry, but I just don't think David is cutting it. Yes, he's very talented with a great voice but it's just not working.  new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif  He is trying to hard be Jon He fakes it pretty well but he doesn't feel it like Jon. He just DOES it. Watch some of the stuff Jon does and you can see him feel it. And that draws you in with him. Next thing you know you're feeling it too. It's an amazing experience that make Yes concerts the special gift that they are. David's work looks just an act and leaves me feeling kinda cheated. The emotions of Yes music seem to get lost with him. I feel for him. It's a hell of a tough act to follow. I'm now of the belief that no one could pull it off...so they shouldn't try. Wait for Jon!

Sorry to sound so negative here but this has just been bugging the hell out of me. I know, Jon has a major ego and all but after listening to all these clips, the choice is obvious. Jon MUST be in Yes or there just is no Yes anymore. I will NOT be supporting this tour. I just hope they can all get over this current crisis, Jon gets healthy and they tour together again.

By the way, I love all the Yes epics but Awaken is just blowing me away right now. What an amazing song! Some great live versions on Youtube. All except the one from the "Union Tour" with Trevor Rabin. He needed to just sit that song out. smile.gif

Ok, thanks for letting me rant. Take Care! Hurry back Jon!!!  yes.gif

On my Yes video, Steve Howe states that Trevor Rabin had a tendency to play in parts of a song where he wasn't supposed to. Steve said that if there wasn't a guitar part played in the original studio version, there was a reason for it.

Which video was that? (I don't have any Yes documentaries yet, and I would like one.)

From the Classic Artists series. It's a "must have" for Yes fans. It covers the beginnings of the band up through the 35th Anniversary tour. Bonus material includes videos for "Owner of a Lonely Heart", "Wondrous Stories" and "Tempus Fugit" as well as outtakes from the video.

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/CDUCoverArt/video/Large/7526200.jpg

There's some lyrics on Close to the Edge that I can't find. It's the background singing during "I Get Up, I Get Down" segment. Can someone help me?

When I attended the Metallica show two weeks ago I found out that if I happened to call my buddy Pete a few weeks earlier I would have chanced upon a ticket to see YES. Now, the venue where they saw the band is just about the best place for an audio/visual experience between the city and Long Island. It's a small, circular auditorium with a rotating stage. Not a bad seat in the place. I was actually set to see the cancelled 'More Drama' tour at this particular venue a few years back. But, after my buddy told me about the missed opportunity on the extra YES ticket, I kinda felt torn and ambivalent about that possible past.

I'm still adamantly against the idea of the band continuing on without JA. I don't think that a band with a stature as high as YES should have gone and replaced one of the most integral pieces of their formula, just so they could get back on the road and do their oldies tour. I believe that it was disrespectful to both JA and to the legacy of YES. But, it seems that we now live in an era where anything goes, as long end effect is bringing in the dough.

That being said, I think that I probably would have gone against my convictions here and attended the show, nevertheless. I heard that the seats were awesome, really close. So, I would have been no more than a stone's throw away from Chris, Steve, Alan and Wakey Jr. I've never been that close for a YES show and the prospect sure does sound alluring. I would have been able to rationalize my actions due to the fact that the band would be playing this venue on this particular evening regardless of my attendance or absence.

It's kinda like me telling myself that it's alright to eat a delicious Veal Scallopini meal because the baby calf that I'm about to soak up with fresh bread has already lived his cruelty-filled existence and has already died and has been waiting on my temporary adoption. I hadn't killed it. And, nothing I do or did could bring that animal to life....Just like nothing I do or did could have prevented YES from performing without JA that evening. So, think about all the dead baby calves that need killin' every time that you see YES live. Really think about it. Straight up, yo.

Well, I was rocking out on my Rickenbacker for Chris last night and this morning - sending some good vibes hopefully! heart.gif

And last night Dad gave me a lift to band practice, and he put Union on in the car. wub.gif

Sending good wishes to Chris by listening to Big Generator. Get better, Fish!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 11 2009, 11:26 AM)
There's some lyrics on Close to the Edge that I can't find. It's the background singing during "I Get Up, I Get Down" segment. Can someone help me?

I believe I can...

From what I can make out it goes like this:

She would coil her said amazement of her story, asking if all the interest could be laid upon the children of her domain.

Or something like that. biggrin.gif

So, I haven't bought anything Yes-related since November, and I'm itching for some new music! Yesyears has kept me interested in music from the Anderson/Banks/Bruford/Kaye/Squire lineup, so I'll probably buy Yes and Time And A Word first. To complete the '69-'80 collection (albeit not all on cd), I'll buy Yesshows. After that, I'll focus on some solo albums (the ones you guys have suggested, plus a few I'd like to get), the remaining two albums on cd (Fragile and Relayer, which I bought from itunes), then buy both newer stuff and solo albums.

Is Yesfans down at the moment? I couldn't go to it, and Google says: The www.yesfans.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists. sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Yup, it appears to be down. this morning, I got a database error, now, I get this:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.yesfans.com Port 80

So now I dunno what's goin' on... wtf.gif

Edited by PanaceaFish

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Feb 17 2009, 07:51 PM)
Yup, it appears to be down. this morning, I got a database error, now, I get this:

Forbidden

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now I dunno what's goin' on...  wtf.gif

Yeah, that's what I got.

edit: while we're on the topic, I want to join YesFans sometime. Who is on both TRF and YF, and what is everyone's usernames there? (I'm trying to spend a lot of time browsing, so I'll know where everything is when I join. laugh.gif )

Edited by Xanadu93

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 17 2009, 07:55 PM)

Forbidden

Yeah, that's what I got.

edit: while we're on the topic, I want to join YesFans sometime. Who is on both TRF and YF, and what is everyone's usernames there? (I'm trying to spend a lot of time browsing, so I'll know where everything is when I join. laugh.gif )

I've been a member of YF since April of 2001, under the username Squire*Fan725...

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Feb 18 2009, 06:32 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 17 2009, 07:55 PM)

Forbidden

Yeah, that's what I got.

I've been a member of YF since April of 2001, under the username Squire*Fan725...

Ya, I remember seeing you over there (I saw the pic of you and Fish). Don't know when I'll join.... maybe this weekend?

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Feb 18 2009, 12:35 PM)
I'm CybrKhatru at Yesfans...been there since Fall of 2003.

That's you? I've seen you a lot over there. bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 18 2009, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Feb 18 2009, 12:35 PM)
I'm CybrKhatru at Yesfans...been there since Fall of 2003.

That's you? I've seen you a lot over there. bekloppt.gif

Yeah, that's me. bekloppt.gif You should join up!

Yesfans is a lot like Hotel California---you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. rofl3.gif

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

looks like the rest of the tour is off. glad i saw them when i did

1022.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 16 2009, 06:14 PM)
So, I haven't bought anything Yes-related since November, and I'm itching for some new music! Yesyears has kept me interested in music from the Anderson/Banks/Bruford/Kaye/Squire lineup, so I'll probably buy Yes and Time And A Word first. To complete the '69-'80 collection (albeit not all on cd), I'll buy Yesshows. After that, I'll focus on some solo albums (the ones you guys have suggested, plus a few I'd like to get), the remaining two albums on cd (Fragile and Relayer, which I bought from itunes), then buy both newer stuff and solo albums.

You're gunna blow your nugget too early, kid. Life is long. You go through the Yes catalog at the pace you're moving and you will regret the decision. I just wrote someone else here on my teenage obsession with Led Zeppelin. Now, in retrospect, I can see a lifelong pattern of obsession and abuse even back during my LZ fascination. I overdosed on that British behemoth and couldn't even listen to a single song of theirs for several years to come.

Listening to nuthin' but YES at this tender, young age and you will hate them later on in life, believe me. And, I can appreciate what you're feeling for them right about now...the intense love and indentification with that pure, unadulterated art that they churn out. You're convinced how much better this band is than the sappy, crappy Pop music that you're misguided and bonehead pals are wasting their time with. lol. You're feeling that this band is the best thing since pre-packaged, processed cheese slices. I know all about it, son. And, you're right.

But, the thing is that you'd like to maintain this high level of involvement/commitment to this group and its high ideals/principles for an infinite duration (For his love was so pure that it endureth forever). So, you gots to be curtailin' your intake, playa. Cut back a little bit on your daily YES usage. I don't know how much of the catalog you've ingested thus far, but hold off a while before that next album acquistion. Save at least a few of the titles for a rainy day. You will thank yourself, and me. for the decision.

If you haven't touched any of the solo albums yet, that's a good thing. You will definitely want the first round of releases by everyone. The first round will be appreciated almost as much as a full block of YES albums. They are sooo good, man. lol. Especially the Squire and Anderson ones.

Glad to see another generation embracing one of the greatest bands ever....Have you seen the somewhat recent short film which uses YES as it's subject matter? It's about a college student's love for the band and how he reacts when others discover the group as well. If not, tell me. I'll post a link for ya.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 19 2009, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 16 2009, 06:14 PM)

You're gunna blow your nugget too early, kid. Life is long. You go through the Yes catalog at the pace you're moving and you will regret the decision. I just wrote someone else here on my teenage obsession with Led Zeppelin. Now, in retrospect, I can see a lifelong pattern of obsession and abuse even back during my LZ fascination. I overdosed on that British behemoth and couldn't even listen to a single song of theirs for several years to come.

Listening to nuthin' but YES at this tender, young age and you will hate them later on in life, believe me. And, I can appreciate what you're feeling for them right about now...the intense love and indentification with that pure, unadulterated art that they churn out. You're convinced how much better this band is than the sappy, crappy Pop music that you're misguided and bonehead pals are wasting their time with. lol. You're feeling that this band is the best thing since pre-packaged, processed cheese slices. I know all about it, son. And, you're right.

But, the thing is that you'd like to maintain this high level of involvement/commitment to this group and its high ideals/principles for an infinite duration (For his love was so pure that it endureth forever). So, you gots to be curtailin' your intake, playa. Cut back a little bit on your daily YES usage. I don't know how much of the catalog you've ingested thus far, but hold off a while before that next album acquistion. Save at least a few of the titles for a rainy day. You will thank yourself, and me. for the decision.

If you haven't touched any of the solo albums yet, that's a good thing. You will definitely want the first round of releases by everyone. The first round will be appreciated almost as much as a full block of YES albums. They are sooo good, man. lol. Especially the Squire and Anderson ones.

Glad to see another generation embracing one of the greatest bands ever....Have you seen the somewhat recent short film which uses YES as it's subject matter? It's about a college student's love for the band and how he reacts when others discover the group as well. If not, tell me. I'll post a link for ya.

I'm holding back on Yes for now (as compared to back in October and November, when I was getting an album a week!), and trying to buy other stuff. TBH I've got a massive list of probably about 100 albums by very different artists - My Chemical Romance, Zeppelin, Green Day, and TV On The Radio, to name a few - that I need to get to work on.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 19 2009, 08:13 PM)
I'm holding back on Yes for now (as compared to back in October and November, when I was getting an album a week!), and trying to buy other stuff. TBH I've got a massive list of probably about 100 albums by very different artists - My Chemical Romance, Zeppelin, Green Day, and TV On The Radio, to name a few - that I need to get to work on.

I think you can hold off on the MCR release too. lol. I don't know, has anyone let you in on the few YES spinoff bands? Not the current ones like CIRCA and SYN (who are very awesome by the way), but the early ones who were started by those who got kicked out of the band. You might have no interest in them now when you first hear 'em, but possibly down the road you might. Believe me, when you run through every last drop of the YES catalog, you'll begin looking in the nooks and crannies for any YES related material.

FLASH was a band begun by Peter Banks, the first YES guitarist. The lineup also had the recently fired, Tony Kaye. When you're a YES fan, the assumption is that the band's core sound derives from Anderson and Squire, but when you hear FLASH, that assumption is challenged. The band sounds very YES-ish on their first two releases. I don't have these titles yet. But, they're on the soon-to-be list. Listen to the songs, 'Small Beginnings' and 'Psychosync Escape'. Those two specifically. Tell me what you think. To my ear, with some minor alteration, both tunes could have appeared on the first two YES albums.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=272028995

FLASH

The other band of interest is BADGER. This group sounds much less like Yes, and more like the Allman Bros. In fact, a lot. BADGER features Tony Kaye and the album was produced by Jon Anderson. But, I don't know what 'produced' means in this instance because the album was recorded live. Get this: 'One Live Badger' is not a live recording of previously recorded studio tracks. The band chose to record the new material for their debut album in an auditorium, live before an audience. I don't think I know of any other example of a band doing this. It works too. The album has a great sound and feel to it. I don't think there's much overdubbing. Maybe none. And, the songs are very memorable. This recording is the only one Kaye would do with the band. There's only one other. Check it out, tell me what you think.

http://www.imeem.com/tag/?f=music&q=artist...20live%20badger

BADGER