The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 8 2009, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jan 8 2009, 03:48 PM)
Tim, enjoy that Wembley 78 show. It's a monster.  Probably my favorite Yes ROIO....

Your Big Generator shows...can you describe them?  I bet one of them is Houston 88....

Other recommendations:  Madison Square Garden Feb 74 is a MUST...all of Tales and all of CTTE live...  it's audience but don't let that stop you.

Also, Hollywood Bowl 75, Long Beach 77 and Memphis 77 are must haves. Again, all audience, but great sound.

Believe it or not, I don't have Houston '88 - yet. I just found a link that actually works, and I'm downloading it now. As for the other BG tour boots that I have - one is from Opening Night and features "Final Eyes" and "I'm Running". These are two of my favorite tracks off of the album, and it's great to hear them live. The other was recorded on February 26, 1988 in Sacramento. That was my first Yes boot!

I found a boot of NYC '74, but the full show is listed as having cut and bad sound quality. Fortunately, there's one version with all of Tales, and it's listed as being consistent as far as sound quality. Guess I'll go with that one!

I may already have Long Beach '77, and I'll get to work on those others! Thanks Matt

Couldn't find Hollywood Bowl '75, but I did find Long Beach '75 (only a two-day difference). I also found a more complete version of Wembley '78, and unlike the first version I downloaded, it doesn't have speed issues! I think it's a complete show sans "Future Times/Rejoice". I'm too tired to listen tonight, so I'll give a listen when I wake up tomorrow.

Long live YES! yes.gif

I didn't know that this thread existed, and I'm such a Yes fan.

Just a funny tidbit here: At the Big Generator show in Milwaukee, they had to stop the show because.... The Generator blew and they had no power. I was at the show.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 8 2009, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jan 7 2009, 07:39 PM)
I love Steve Howe so even without Jon i'm still going -

you will not regret it

1022.gif

Nope, no regrets. Great show. Benoit David was a perfect Jon clone, and there were so many interesting and pleasant suprises in the setlist. Bad attendance at the show I saw, but I liked it very much.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 8 2009, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jan 8 2009, 03:48 PM)
Tim, enjoy that Wembley 78 show. It's a monster.  Probably my favorite Yes ROIO....

Your Big Generator shows...can you describe them?  I bet one of them is Houston 88....

Other recommendations:  Madison Square Garden Feb 74 is a MUST...all of Tales and all of CTTE live...  it's audience but don't let that stop you.

Also, Hollywood Bowl 75, Long Beach 77 and Memphis 77 are must haves. Again, all audience, but great sound.

Believe it or not, I don't have Houston '88 - yet. I just found a link that actually works, and I'm downloading it now. As for the other BG tour boots that I have - one is from Opening Night and features "Final Eyes" and "I'm Running". These are two of my favorite tracks off of the album, and it's great to hear them live. The other was recorded on February 26, 1988 in Sacramento. That was my first Yes boot!

I found a boot of NYC '74, but the full show is listed as having cut and bad sound quality. Fortunately, there's one version with all of Tales, and it's listed as being consistent as far as sound quality. Guess I'll go with that one!

I may already have Long Beach '77, and I'll get to work on those others! Thanks Matt

I only have one Big Generator boot (I don't know the date, but I downloaded it from DimeaDozen.) It's an audience recording, but it has a decent sound, and the performance is killer.

Okay...... My latest purchase (Yessongs) leaves me with 6 more items in a full and Complete commerical YES (music) collection (I don't count compilations or DVDs nessicary to a full collection)

What I lack

-----------Studio--------------

The Big Generator

Talk

Open Your Eyes

---------Live------------------

Yesshows

Somethings Coming: The BBC recordings

House of Yes: Live from the House of Blues

I don't count "The Word is Live" as nessicary to a Discography collection..... it is technically a compilaton

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 18 2009, 09:15 PM)
Okay......  My latest purchase (Yessongs) leaves me with 6 more items in a full and Complete commerical YES (music) collection (I don't count compilations or DVDs nessicary to a full collection)

What I lack

The Big Generator
Talk
Open Your Eyes

Yesshows

I don't count "The Word is Live" as nessicary to a Discography collection..... it is technically a compilaton

Regarding TWiL.... I don't know, it's a pretty epic boxset, with live verrsions of "Awaken", "Sound Chaser" with Moraz, live tracks with Peter Banks, a 16-minute rendition of "America", Drama-era live tracks (2 of which were never officially released).......

As for regular CD's, go with Big Generator and Yesshows. I'm yet to buy Yesshows, but I really want it (it's got a kickass live collection), and Big Gen is an underrated album IMO. Check out "I'm Running" from that album.

i have got about an hour of the DRAMA tour from m.s.g. it was on some radio station. nice to have

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 21 2009, 11:23 AM)
i have got about an hour of the DRAMA tour from m.s.g. it was on some radio station. nice to have
1022.gif

Do you have the Dramashow version? It has:

Into The Lens

Clap

And You And I

Go Through This

Man In The White Car Suite (Geoff Downes' solo)

We Can Fly From Here

Tempus Fugit

Machine Messiah

Starship Trooper

and Roundabout.

To anyone who doesn't have this recording, and likes/loves Drama-era Yes, I recommend this recording ("Go Through This", "We Can Fly From Here", and "Tempus Fugit" may not be on it due to being commercially available), even at the cost of imperfect sound.

As soon as I'm able, Yesshows is going to be my next purchase. After that, I'm going to purchase the first two albums, and then Fragile and Relayer on CD (I already have these in mp3 format). After that, I'll get to some of the solo albums (Olias, 6 Wives, FOOW, others you guys recommended), along with Yes/ABWH. I keep thinking about how to get all of this music, and then I remember that there is so much Yes and Yes-related stuff out there, it's not going to happen overnight. Oh well! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 21 2009, 06:09 AM)
Okay......  My latest purchase (Yessongs) leaves me with 6 more items in a full and Complete commerical YES (music) collection (I don't count compilations or DVDs nessicary to a full collection)

What I lack

The Big Generator
Talk
Open Your Eyes

Yesshows

Regarding TWiL.... I don't know, it's a pretty epic boxset, with live verrsions of "Awaken", "Sound Chaser" with Moraz, live tracks with Peter Banks, a 16-minute rendition of "America", Drama-era live tracks (2 of which were never officially released).......

As for regular CD's, go with Big Generator and Yesshows. I'm yet to buy Yesshows, but I really want it (it's got a kickass live collection), and Big Gen is an underrated album IMO. Check out "I'm Running" from that album.

I wasn't docking TWiL, what I was saying is that it is not "essential" to a full discography collection..

It is definatly worth the purchase, but way down the list for a completist.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 27 2009, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 21 2009, 06:09 AM)

What I lack

The Big Generator
Talk
Open Your Eyes

Yesshows

I wasn't docking TWiL, what I was saying is that it is not "essential" to a full discography collection..

It is definatly worth the purchase, but way down the list for a completist.

Oh yeah, I agree. It's a "little" more pricey than any of those albums you have listed. laugh.gif

Don't know if anyone has seen this before, but this is a picture of Steve Howe with the band Tomorrow in 1961. He was around 13-14 years old back then.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/Xanadu93/stevehowe1961.jpg

Any Jon fans out there might be interested in this, the latest bit of news from his site since September.

QUOTE (JonAnderson.com)
Tour Of The Universe DVD Release for US/Canada

Classic Studio T are pleased to announce the official release of Jon Anderson - Tour In The Universe (DVD) in U.S / Canada on 10th Feb 2009.

Here are some direct links to purchase:

See of Sound

Amazon

common001.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 27 2009, 08:45 PM)
Don't know if anyone has seen this before, but this is a picture of Steve Howe with the band Tomorrow in 1961. He was around 13-14 years old back then.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn207/Xanadu93/stevehowe1961.jpg

Erm, I think that pic might've been taken in 1967, cos they sure didn't dress like that in 1961! z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Feb 1 2009, 01:43 AM)
I'm seeing Yes in March!

Enjoy! I wonder if they'll shuffle up the setlist a bit for the West Coast..... maybe they'll record an album/film a show there! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 4 2009, 08:07 PM)
I'm seeing Yes in March!

Enjoy! I wonder if they'll shuffle up the setlist a bit for the West Coast..... maybe they'll record an album/film a show there! 1022.gif

Another Yes Live release........ what else is new?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Feb 5 2009, 12:54 AM)
I'm seeing Yes in March!

We,, the other twelve million haven't featured Benoit and Oliver.... and as much as I appreciate people going through the trouble of sneaking a camera or phone in, a three-minute cut of "Machine Messiah" recorded on crappy speakers is not the best.

Anyone think they'll shuffle up the setlist a little?

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Feb 5 2009, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Feb 5 2009, 12:54 AM)
I'm seeing Yes in March!

We,, the other twelve million haven't featured Benoit and Oliver.... and as much as I appreciate people going through the trouble of sneaking a camera or phone in, a three-minute cut of "Machine Messiah" recorded on crappy speakers is not the best.

Anyone think they'll shuffle up the setlist a little?

I'm seeing them the last show of the tour, so they should go all out. It will be awesome

I am a huge Yes fan. Huge! Saw them back in the mid 70's kinda old Yes fan.

Well I have been just sorta watching all the "new" Yes line-up stuff evolve and have been fairly quiet about the whole thing. I wanted to wait and see. I've waited long enough...

I have listened to all the clips from the current tour on Youtube. Sorry, but I just don't think David is cutting it. Yes, he's very talented with a great voice but it's just not working. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif He is trying to hard be Jon He fakes it pretty well but he doesn't feel it like Jon. He just DOES it. Watch some of the stuff Jon does and you can see him feel it. And that draws you in with him. Next thing you know you're feeling it too. It's an amazing experience that make Yes concerts the special gift that they are. David's work looks just an act and leaves me feeling kinda cheated. The emotions of Yes music seem to get lost with him. I feel for him. It's a hell of a tough act to follow. I'm now of the belief that no one could pull it off...so they shouldn't try. Wait for Jon!

Sorry to sound so negative here but this has just been bugging the hell out of me. I know, Jon has a major ego and all but after listening to all these clips, the choice is obvious. Jon MUST be in Yes or there just is no Yes anymore. I will NOT be supporting this tour. I just hope they can all get over this current crisis, Jon gets healthy and they tour together again.

By the way, I love all the Yes epics but Awaken is just blowing me away right now. What an amazing song! Some great live versions on Youtube. All except the one from the "Union Tour" with Trevor Rabin. He needed to just sit that song out. smile.gif

Ok, thanks for letting me rant. Take Care! Hurry back Jon!!! yes.gif

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Feb 8 2009, 01:26 AM)

Well I have been just sorta watching all the "new" Yes line-up stuff evolve and have been fairly quiet about the whole thing. I wanted to wait and see. I've waited long enough...

I have listened to all the clips from the current tour on Youtube. Sorry, but I just don't think David is cutting it. Yes, he's very talented with a great voice but it's just not working. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif He is trying to hard be Jon He fakes it pretty well but he doesn't feel it like Jon. He just DOES it. Watch some of the stuff Jon does and you can see him feel it. And that draws you in with him. Next thing you know you're feeling it too. It's an amazing experience that make Yes concerts the special gift that they are. David's work looks just an act and leaves me feeling kinda cheated. The emotions of Yes music seem to get lost with him. I feel for him. It's a hell of a tough act to follow. I'm now of the belief that no one could pull it off...so they shouldn't try. Wait for Jon!

Sorry to sound so negative here but this has just been bugging the hell out of me. I know, Jon has a major ego and all but after listening to all these clips, the choice is obvious. Jon MUST be in Yes or there just is no Yes anymore. I will NOT be supporting this tour. I just hope they can all get over this current crisis, Jon gets healthy and they tour together again.

By the way, I love all the Yes epics but Awaken is just blowing me away right now. What an amazing song! Some great live versions on Youtube. All except the one from the "Union Tour" with Trevor Rabin. He needed to just sit that song out. smile.gif

I definitely agree. It wasn't going to stop me from seeing them (though in the end, I couldn't go), but it's not the same. IMO, Benoit may be able to sing like Jon, but he doesn't have that soul like Jon does. There is only one Jon Anderson - just as there is only one Chris Squire, only one Steve Howe, only one Rick Wakeman, and only one Alan White (do I need to talk about Moraz, Rabin, Kaye, Banks, and Bruford, whom I also love?) I hope that Benoit is indeed an understudy, and not the new vocalist. If (forbid) he should become the new vocalist, I will go and see "Howe, Squire, & White of YES, featuring Benoit David and Oliver Wakeman", though I might do so with a heavy heart.

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Feb 8 2009, 01:26 AM)

On my Yes video, Steve Howe states that Trevor Rabin had a tendency to play in parts of a song where he wasn't supposed to. Steve said that if there wasn't a guitar part played in the original studio version, there was a reason for it.