The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 14 2008, 04:24 PM)
Folks, I had the honour of speaking with Roger Dean yesterday, he also did a little drawing for me, how cool!?!? I was in Brighton for the weekend, and I was buying a paper and i heard he was upstairs in a bookstore signing his new book.
Anyway, he's pretty sure Jon will never tour again with Yes. It's taking too much of a toll on his health, but he might be OK for the odd special guest slot.

We spoke for about 15 minutes, whilst he was sketching on the 2 books I bought.

A lovely, thoroughly gracious gentleman.

Oh no!!! sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif I really hope Jon proves this wrong..... I don't care how good Benoit is, he can't capture the magic of a concert like Jon can. There's only one Jon Anderson, and I wish him good tidings and hope he gets well soon! We love you, man!

Congrats on meeting Mr. Dean! Would it be possible to show the picture on here?

Yes kicks ass.

I saw them, or "Howe, Squire, White of Yes" whatever you wanna call it. It kicked so much ass.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 14 2008, 10:24 PM)
Folks, I had the honour of speaking with Roger Dean yesterday, he also did a little drawing for me, how cool!?!? I was in Brighton for the weekend, and I was buying a paper and i heard he was upstairs in a bookstore signing his new book.
Anyway, he's pretty sure Jon will never tour again with Yes. It's taking too much of a toll on his health, but he might be OK for the odd special guest slot.

I love his stuff! Did you know he did the Tetris logo?

I think he know what he's talking about regarding Jon, after all he's like a member of the band after all these years.

i have been listening to MAGNIFICATION for the last 3 days. very underrated album imo . i forgot how good it really was

LOVE Yes. Been into them since I was 10. Caught the Yes Union tour. Was awesome - YesEast and YesWest together on the stage wink.gif . I really loved Closer to the Edge, The Yes Album, and Drama. Later, I was a huge Trevor Rabin fan, and still follow his movie soundtracks today.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 14 2008, 04:24 PM)

He was in our area not long ago speaking at one of the libraries. I missed him by one day and therefore didn't get to meet him.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 16 2008, 05:37 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 15 2008, 11:49 PM)
i have been listening to  MAGNIFICATION for the last 3 days. very underrated album imo . i forgot how good it really was

It's a great album, bar Soft As A Dove. In The Presence Of is magnificent.

My fave song on Magnification is "Can You Imagine?". I hate that it's so short of a song. I wish it had been longer. Great Squire vocal there.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Dec 18 2008, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Dec 18 2008, 02:53 PM)
Jen, are you going to go to the Wiltern??

*shifty eyes*

I'm, uh, thinking about it. laugh.gif

Who am I kidding, I'll probably end up at both SoCal shows...

Maybe if you're going, then Trixie will decide she wants to go. Gawd knows I can't persuade her! laugh.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 16 2008, 08:28 AM)
My fave song on Magnification is "Can You Imagine?". I hate that it's so short of a song. I wish it had been longer. Great Squire vocal there.

Indeed it is, but then again, Any song with Squire on vocals is good...

There happens to be an XYZ version of this song that's a tad longer, too...

I've got a Yes question regarding iTunes.

Ok, so there are two versions of the 35th Anniversary Compilation, yet neither are complete, and neither feature music post-Big Generator, yet include the 3rd disc. As a matter of fact, sans KTA 2 and Keystudio, there are no Yes albums after Big Gen (ABWH is separate). Does anyone know why this is? It seems like I remember seeing both KTA albums, as well as Talk, Open Your Eyes, and 9012Live: The Solos at one point.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 19 2008, 03:35 PM)

Ok, so there are two versions of the 35th Anniversary Compilation, yet neither are complete, and neither feature music post-Big Generator, yet include the 3rd disc. As a matter of fact, sans KTA 2 and Keystudio, there are no Yes albums after Big Gen (ABWH is separate). Does anyone know why this is? It seems like I remember seeing both KTA albums, as well as Talk, Open Your Eyes, and 9012Live: The Solos at one point.

So no one knows the answer? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 24 2008, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 19 2008, 03:35 PM)

So no one knows the answer? unsure.gif

the next "Yes" album after Big Generator was Union from 1991, but it was not released on Atlantic Records, but Arista I believe.

Maybe it's a record company thing.

I forgot to mention that I received "The Word Is Live" on Christmas Eve. I haven't listened to all of it yet (did listen to some of disc 1, and all of dscs 2 and 3), but I enjoyed what I heard!

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 26 2008, 08:49 AM)
I forgot to mention that I received "The Word Is Live" on Christmas Eve. I haven't listened to all of it yet (did listen to some of disc 1, and all of dscs 2 and 3), but I enjoyed what I heard!

Lucky! I had to return my copy because it was defective. :C

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 26 2008, 10:49 AM)

Some of Disc 1!? laugh.gif

I hope you listened to It's Love, the only reason I bought TWIL in the first place... wink.gif

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Dec 26 2008, 08:13 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 26 2008, 10:49 AM)

Some of Disc 1!? laugh.gif

I hope you listened to It's Love, the only reason I bought TWIL in the first place... wink.gif

Not yet. But those cd's are on my new laptop. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Ok, some kind of a random note about my future purchases (because I don't feel like digging up my own "Yes Questions from Xanny-dew93" thread biggrin.gif ). I'm going to purchase the debut and Time and a Word - which reminds me, on Amazon, it is listed: "This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer." This goes for all versions, including the Rhino remasters. I may have to buy it from someone on there, but I suppose if it's new, it's still new.

After that, I'm going to round out the 'classic era' music by purchasing Fragile and Relayer on CD, as well as Yesshows (which I do not own at the moment). I have Fragile and Relayer on iTunes, but I wouldn't feel like a true completist with mp3 files only. laugh.gif After that, I'll probably get some live dvd's to absorb the songs I know - live, and with video. Likely suspects are Yessongs and 9012Live.

After that, I'm going to purchase the newer material in either no order whatsoever, or in chronological order (yes, I'm going to buy Onion and Open Your Eyes!! ph34r.gif ), because I'm interested in pretty much all of them - well, I've had my eye on the special edition of Magnification for a while, with the bonus disc of live "CTTE", "LDR", and "Gates", and I know a couple of songs from the album. Well, we'll see, I know it will take me a long time to buy this wonderous music, just as it did (and still does!) with Rush.

edit: after buying Yes, TAAW, and Yesshows, I'm going to get into solo works, using a list that was compiled by myself of recommendations from you guys (Olias, FOOW, Song of Seven, 6 Wives, Can't Look Away ph34r.gif ) to scratch the surface, then intersperse solo works with new purchases. I think this will make a good balance.

Edited by Xanadu93

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 26 2008, 11:30 PM)
after buying Yes, TAAW, and Yesshows, I'm going to get into solo works, using a list that was compiled by myself of recommendations from you guys (Olias, FOOW, Song of Seven, 6 Wives, Can't Look Away ph34r.gif ) to scratch the surface, then intersperse solo works with new purchases. I think this will make a good balance.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif FOOW is not to be missed!

Question that probably everyone can share their opinion on:

What is it about "And You And I" that is so amazing? Every single version I have heard moves me - I'm listening to the live version from YesYears. And I've seen a lot of people on Forgotten Yesterdays list "AYAI" as the best song of the show. What do you guys think makes it so amazing, each and every time?

re: AYAI...

Man I don't know...that song is just quintessential Yes. Seems like every single lineup was able to make this song soar. Maybe that is a testament to how well it's written?

I know that it is usually a concert highlight for me...it sure was in 1991, 1997, 2004, 1989....I could go on. wub.gif