The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Dec 9 2008, 04:15 PM)
Owl--I hope you enjoy the show. smile.gif

Thanks.........I called in a request to my local classic rock station today (I fuggin forgot to charge my iPod) and asked them to play "And You and I"

and holy shit they did!!!!!!!!!!!!! The whole thing......

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Dec 8 2008, 03:44 PM)
I can throw some love towards the post 80s Yes music, sure!

I really like The Ladder, Talk, and Magnification.

The Ladder has "Homeworld" and the lovely "Nine Voices".
Talk has "Endless Dream", perhaps Rabin and Anderson's finest collaboration.
Magnification has "In The Presence Of" which is stunning.

Open Your Eyes had grown on me considerably since its release, 11 years ago. Back then I liked the first three tunes, but was such a shift from what I was used to from Yes at the time, and it made it tough to get into the rest. Now I dig most of it.

Keys .... well .... here's where I diverge from popular opinion.

I love That, That Is. Even with the "Crack Time" lyric. That doesn't bother me in the least. It's an interesting, melodic, moving epic.

What does bother me, however is Mind Drive. "HERETIC!", you cry. Well...yes it has some great sections, but it feels about 6 minutes longer than it needs to be. Is it ironic at all that both Mind Drive and Close to the Edge are 18 minutes and 35 seconds? Or am I reaching? To me it really sounds like Yes TRYING to be "progressive" but not quite making it.

Actually, a lot of the material on Keys 2 sounds half-baked to me....like the ideas are there but they're not DONE yet. The album sounds amazing though. Great production.

There, I've said it.

Let the flogging begin. rofl3.gif

Talk and The Ladder are two albums that I want to get. I haven't heard the studio cut of "In The Presence Of" yet. And I haven't seen/heard the version from Live At Montreux in a while.... might want to watch that soon, now that I know so much of the Yesmusic found on it (sans "In The Presence Of", because I've heard "Magnification" a good bit. One version of Magnification available on Amazon has a bonus CD with live versions of "Close To The Edge", "Long Distance Runaround", and "The Gates of Delirium" from the Masterworks Tour.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 9 2008, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Dec 9 2008, 04:15 PM)
Owl--I hope you enjoy the show.  smile.gif

Thanks.........I called in a request to my local classic rock station today (I fuggin forgot to charge my iPod) and asked them to play "And You and I"

and holy shit they did!!!!!!!!!!!!! The whole thing......

Wow, if our station would play "Long Distance Runaround" or "Rhythm of Love", it would be jaw-dropping. laugh.gif Congrats on the show!!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 9 2008, 03:32 PM)
29 hours

holy shit
holy shit
holy shit
holy shit
holy shit..........im so excited!!!!!!!!!!

I have awesome seats also............Steve's side Balcony second row!!!!!

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh241/the_owl2112/rymanmarks.jpg

(the blue line is my 2 seats) (and no Im not that fat, I am going with my Dad)

Lucky you!!

I surely wish that I could relive Asbury Park and Westbury again!!

You are in for a real treat for sure!!

Be sure to post a review!!

WOW was that a great concert!!!!!!!!

Very good....David is not Anderson.....but he did a great job nontheless.....

Close to the Edge was a high point of the show............just shell shockingly awesome!!!!!!

Thing is, Yes makes its menbers grow old faster...

http://www.drumsontheweb.com/DOTWphotos/photoglryphotos/glry42photos/glry42-022.jpg

Bill got out just in time, he still looks good.

(I'm so digging CTTE, Tormato and Drama)

QUOTE (Soni @ Dec 11 2008, 12:56 PM)
http://www.drumsontheweb.com/DOTWphotos/photoglryphotos/glry42photos/glry42-022.jpg

Bill's looking great!

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 11 2008, 12:20 AM)
WOW was that a great concert!!!!!!!!

Very good....David is not Anderson.....but he did a great job nontheless.....

Close to the Edge was a high point of the show............just shell shockingly awesome!!!!!!

Awesome Owl!

Glad you had a great time! trink39.gif

I wish they would come round here for a change eh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 11 2008, 06:52 PM)

Bill's looking great!

yes.gif smile.gif

Cheers Soni, I hadn't seen a recent pic of him. trink39.gif

Facewise, he looks very similar to how he looked "back in the day".

There's an interview with Bill Bruford in one of the jazz magazines (Modern Jazz) and it says he will be retiring. In the article, he mentions Neil Peart and other drummers in the prog rock genre.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 11 2008, 03:43 PM)
There's an interview with Bill Bruford in one of the jazz magazines (Modern Jazz) and it says he will be retiring. In the article, he mentions Neil Peart and other drummers in the prog rock genre.

Oh no!! sad.gif

Say What?!?! ohmy.gif

aww man sad.gif

Is there a link?

Actually the magazine is Jazz Times (December 2008) and we have a hard copy. It looks like his retiring is not definite but it may happen.

And I have the mag right here with me. Here are some highlights:

He will release an autobiography simply titled "Bill Bruford: The Autobiography" to be published in May 2009.

Also coming is "Winterfold Collection 1978-1986" and "Summerfold Collection 1987-2008".

"...the family's drumming torch will be carried on as the elder Bruford, believe it or not, ponders retirement from stage and studio. 'It's under consideration' he says. 'There's a strong argument for quitting while you're ahead. Every stage I'm occupying is one a younger drummer isn't. Every interview I'm given is one a younger drummer isn't. Maybe after 40 good years, all musicians should be required to go to their peers for a license to continue, based on relevance. Besides, Heathrow T5 is a mess'".

As far as the Neil Peart reference:

Bruford became influential enough in his early 20's to become an influence on many drummers in the 1970's who have since returned the favor.

"I think there is a neo-prog group of drummers like Neil Peart (from Rush), Danny Carey (Tool) and Mike Portnoy (Dream Theatre) who grew up on some of the British prog ideas and have carried that torch forward. Being super-influential, they're passing it on. That line of drumming is outside the jazz tradition, of course, but it turns out that it's becoming its own tradition."

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 11 2008, 07:04 PM)
Actually the magazine is Jazz Times (December 2008) and we have a hard copy. It looks like his retiring is not definite but it may happen.

And I have the mag right here with me. Here are some highlights:

He will release an autobiography simply titled "Bill Bruford: The Autobiography" to be published in May 2009.

Also coming is "Winterfold Collection 1978-1986" and "Summerfold Collection 1987-2008".

"...the family's drumming torch will be carried on as the elder Bruford, believe it or not, ponders retirement from stage and studio. 'It's under consideration' he says. 'There's a strong argument for quitting while you're ahead. Every stage I'm occupying is one a younger drummer isn't. Every interview I'm given is one a younger drummer isn't. Maybe after 40 good years, all musicians should be required to go to their peers for a license to continue, based on relevance. Besides, Heathrow T5 is a mess'".

As far as the Neil Peart reference:

Bruford became influential enough in his early 20's to become an influence on many drummers in the 1970's who have since returned the favor.

"I think there is a neo-prog group of drummers like Neil Peart (from Rush), Danny Carey (Tool) and Mike Portnoy (Dream Theatre) who grew up on some of the British prog ideas and have carried that torch forward. Being super-influential, they're passing it on. That line of drumming is outside the jazz tradition, of course, but it turns out that it's becoming its own tradition."

Thanks!

since he mentions MIKE PORTNOY i guess it is o.k. for the progsnobs to like him now tongue.gif

I just finished listening to "Awaken". I'm convinced that this masterpiece, along with "The Gates of Delirium", are two of the best Yes epics. I love "Close To The Edge", but "Awaken" is - I guess it's like the band matured while Rick left, during Moraz's tenure, and they came back with a great record in Going For The One. To put such a great song - or, as Jon stated, a "Masterwork", which it is - on the album blows me away. When they start jamming, I have to get up and go nuts on air instruments. laugh.gif I can't help it, Steve's all over the guitar, Chris is all over those 3 necks, and Rick - well, he's kicking all kinds of ass on the MiniMoogs. And then, when you think they're going to blow up, the awesome quiet interlude starts. If I had to pick a favorite epic, I'd say "Delirium" and "Awaken" would tie for first.

If I'm not mistaken, these two haven't been performed on the same tour. Which is why I'm going to make an ultimate Yes live playlist on itunes once I get The Word Is Live and Yesshows. I'm trying to imagine how this song sounded live "back in the day", on the GFTO/Tormato tours.... why oh why wasn't I born in the 1960s???? sad.gif Ah, to have seen those glory days - not taking anything from them now, but the way it seems, and from what I've heard from other Yesfans, they were simply untouchable back in the day.

Well, sorry for taking so long, but I hadn't talked about "Awakeman" in a long time.

Folks, I had the honour of speaking with Roger Dean yesterday, he also did a little drawing for me, how cool!?!? I was in Brighton for the weekend, and I was buying a paper and i heard he was upstairs in a bookstore signing his new book.

Anyway, he's pretty sure Jon will never tour again with Yes. It's taking too much of a toll on his health, but he might be OK for the odd special guest slot.

We spoke for about 15 minutes, whilst he was sketching on the 2 books I bought.

A lovely, thoroughly gracious gentleman.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 14 2008, 04:24 PM)
Folks, I had the honour of speaking with Roger Dean yesterday, he also did a little drawing for me, how cool!?!? I was in Brighton for the weekend, and I was buying a paper and i heard he was upstairs in a bookstore signing his new book.
Anyway, he's pretty sure Jon will never tour again with Yes. It's taking too much of a toll on his health, but he might be OK for the odd special guest slot.

We spoke for about 15 minutes, whilst he was sketching on the 2 books I bought.

A lovely, thoroughly gracious gentleman.

Love that man! I have one of his books of art. (Actually, it's a book of Roger AND brother Martyn Dean together.) I've often wished I could step into one of his fantasy landscapes. How cool would that be???