The "Official" Yes thread

The Owl

Check this video out..

Now when I post the title of this video you are going to pre-judge this video....just because of what the video is....some of you are going to think What the f**k.....and think to yourselves...."This is gonna suck" and not click on the video....but I say you need to ignore those prejudgments and give this a listen..................

It is actually pretty good IMO....a very nice arrangment.

I've been a YES fan for years.Steve Howe's playing inspired me to learn guitar,which brought me to classical guitar and the music of Bach.

I love their music,but I cant believe they are touring without Jon Anderson.

Yes without Jon singing is just...IMO,lame.

Like Jon said..."This is not YES"

I'll pass on this tour.

Oh,and the Robert Downey Jr. cover was not bad...but I still wouldnt see them on this tour even if they got him to replace Jon. tongue.gif

Edited by NinjaRider
  • Like 1

Yes is one of those groups I'm STILL discovering.

Yes, as well as a lot of progressive music, took years to grow on me in the beginning. Yes specifically has material that's so complex and multi-layered that a lot of it took quite some time for me to get comfortable with it, but now I marvel and am in awe about the music they created, especially in the 70's. They're one of the very, very few rock groups, along with The Moodys who made spiritual and uplifting music that was still decidedly rock. Really, you just can't underestimate the majesty of Yes. no.gif

Yes is great. Yeah, the lyrics and song subjects can get a bit convoluted at times, but the strength of the melodies usually pull the songs up. That and the incredible muscianship. But seriously, what the hell is Jon Anderson singing about most of the time? confused13.gif
  • Like 2

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 4 2008, 01:15 AM)
Yes is great.  Yeah, the lyrics and song subjects can get a bit convoluted at times, but the strength of the melodies usually pull the songs up.  That and the incredible muscianship.  But seriously, what the hell is Jon Anderson singing about most of the time?  confused13.gif

Almost always about some New Age spirituality nonsense, and Universal Love. tongue.gif Those aren't bad ideas, they're just confusingly presented.

Still, I love Yes. Just saw them a week ago. (I didn't miss Jon at all; the fill-in guy is an exact replica.) Yes are probably my second favorite band. Guess the first.

Edited by GeddyRulz

A truly special band. Jon's lyrics are pure doggerel at times, but the way he sings them, and the instrumentation, makes Yesmusic very emotional.

And You And I has been my favourite tune for 20 years now. No song will ever knock it off top spot.

It gets me every time.

• Like 1

i will join any YES thread you throw at me biggrin.gif

I've only seen them on one tour - the 35th Anniversary tour. The particular show I attended was filmed for a DVD titled "Songs from Tsongas".

Great show, but there were several glitches - no air conditioning because the system was broke. Rick Wakeman had a minor issue with one of his keyboards.

Yesterday I listened to 90125. I think it's a great album and pretty solid even though it isn't traditional Yes music (although the last tune on the CD is pretty damn close to it).

I've seen Rick Wakeman as a solo artist and I've seen Bill Bruford with his band Earthworks. Between sets, Bill autographed my copy of "Close to the Edge".

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 4 2008, 07:28 AM)
i will join any YES thread you throw at me biggrin.gif

trink39.gif Me too!

And a new Yes thread gives me a new opportunity to cheerlead for Chris's awesome 1975 solo album, Fish Out of Water. If you like Yes, you'll like FOoW.

There's also a wonderful "deluxe" edition of the CD now, with a DVD included; pre-MTV "music videos" are included, Chris is interviewed about the album, and he offers a "running commentary" on the album while it plays behind him - similar to the commentary tracks on DVD movies.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1f/FishOutofWater.jpg

I have all their studio albums from "Yes" to "Union" and then "Magnification"

I'm not interested in "Talk", "Open Your Eyes", or "The Ladder".

Several of the albums I bought as cassette tapes and will eventually replace them with CD's.

My first ever CD from anybody was "Relayer".

I've been a Yes fan for over 2 decades and have seen them many times.

I've kinda cooled on them in recent years, but their music still moves me, especially their 70s material. And I still love 90125.

Probably the best Yes show I ever saw was the Union tour at the LA Forum. Even Jon Anderson has commented on the power of that particular show, particularly "Awaken" that night.

My wife and I were also lucky enough to be at the SLO shows in March 1996 where the live material for "Keys To Ascension" was recorded. Quite exciting to see that particular lineup onstage again for the first time in over 15 years...

I was a member of a Yes tribute band in LA called "Closer To The Edge" for about a year, and we had some fun playing their music. It certainly isn't easy!!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Dec 4 2008, 03:55 PM)
See my sig line... 

I accidentally typed out yeah instead of Yes one time...

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs? tongue.gif

Those of you who read my thread know that I'm still getting into them. I've got every album from The Yes Album through Big Generator, and I'm taking a break from Yes albums until after Christmas, except for Jon's 3 Ships, and a few compilation CD's I'll be giving as gifts to some friends.

The first "true" Yes I heard was Relayer. I had "Roundabout", "I've Seen All Good People", and "Owner of a Lonely Heart" on my iPod, but those wre for some "radio songs" to put on my ipod. One day on iTunes, I saw that they were selling some album called Relayer for $2.97!! Noticing that this was an incredible bargain, I purchased it, and (after some compute problems) put it on my iPod. Over time, it grew to become my favorite Yes album. I'll explain part of how it grew to become my favorite album, namely "The Gates of Delirium".

I went to Edisto Beach, S.C. this summer, and I had a dozen Yessongs on my ipod - 3 from The Yes Album, 3 from Fragile, 2 from Close to the Edge, all of Relayer, and Owner. I remember going to the beach at sunset, and listening to "Soon". wub.gif It was just so beautiful, listening to Steve's pedal steel lines, and watching the sun fall on a beautiful horizon.

My top five favorite Yes albums are:

1. Relayer

2. 90125

3. Fragile

4. Drama

5. Big Generator

It's hard for me to pick a fave Yes album, but if I have to, I'd say "Close to the Edge" is my favorite. It's great from beginning to end.
  • Like 1

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Dec 4 2008, 02:27 PM)
Personal faves:

Close to the Edge
Fragile
Drama

and, uh, Tormato and Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe. ph34r.gif

Tormato rules.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Dec 4 2008, 09:27 PM)
Personal faves:

Close to the Edge
Fragile
Drama

and, uh, Tormato and Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe.  ph34r.gif

Take out Drama and I agree. tongue.gif trink39.gif

Also, The Ladder wub.gif

I guess my 5 personal faves are in this order:

Close to the Edge

the Yes Album

Fragile

Time and A Word

Tales from Topographic Oceans

QUOTE (Jaye @ Dec 4 2008, 07:42 PM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ Dec 4 2008, 09:27 PM)
Personal faves:

Close to the Edge
Fragile
Drama

and, uh, Tormato and Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Howe.  ph34r.gif

Take out Drama and I agree. tongue.gif trink39.gif

Also, The Ladder wub.gif

there is nothing wrong with DRAMA confused13.gif

trink39.gif