Which 70s or 80s band that you love, do you think

treeduck

QUOTE (The O' Sullivan Factor @ Nov 10 2008, 02:24 PM)
QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Nov 10 2008, 01:20 PM)
Blue Oyster Cult is underrated in my opinion.

BOC were the first classic rawk band I was really into

Fire of Unknown Origin is still one of my favorite albums 1022.gif

Cultosaurus Erectus is a great album too, and very underrated.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Nov 11 2008, 12:34 AM)

The Church - Never were apprecited here in the states -

They were by me! The Unguarded Moment, When You were Mine, Field of Mars... I love their earlier stuff.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Nov 10 2008, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 10 2008, 03:32 PM)
yeah, B.O.C were big in the late 70's early 80's . i saw them at madison square garden in 1981 with FOGHAT opening. sold out
1022.gif

I saw BOC open for Rush, but Foghat in 1981 must of been one hell of a show.

I need to out and buy Foghat Live. I used to wear that out on 8 track.

I saw both about five or six times back in the late 70's. I really like BOC but never could get in to Foghat. Must of been to much Slow Ride on the radio. laugh.gif Plus, I seemed to remember reading or hearing something on the radio that Foghat and Rush never really got along. biggrin.gif

Artful Dodger.

Power pop at it's finest, from Fairfax, Virginia virtually unknown in the USA except Washington D.C., Pittsburgh and Cleveland were they just recently played a rare reunion concert at a packed Cleveland Agora last spring. They were power pop with a hard rock guitar driven edge nice mix different made them stand out from the rest.

I believe "Wayside" from there debut album still the best opening track ever! 1022.gif Follow up album Honor Among Theives solid, Babes On Broadway didn't fare as well record company didn't push & Rave On, there last album made in 1980 should of propelled them to stardom not a weak track on it. I remember Rolling Stone had a article on them and said Dodger one of the greatest power pop rock band's no one has ever heard and what a shame it was that bands like The Knack there one hit got all the attention while Artful Dodger made albums worth of smart catchy tunes disappeared into obscurity due to lack of support by record companies and changing times. (New Wave and Punk)

Edited by softfilter

Duck! I don't know if you're familiar with The Sensational Alex Harvey Band but if not you have to check these guys out! I'd really like to hear your thoughts about this incredible group (imo) I've only discovered myself in the last couple of years. Sadly overlooked and underappreciated here in the States whenever the subject of the all time great rock bands is brought up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx4Noko6vo0

Edited by Silas Lang

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jun 22 2011, 03:14 AM)
Duck! I don't know if you're familiar with The Sensational Alex Harvey Band but if not you have to check these guys out! I'd really like to hear your thoughts about this incredible group (imo) I've only discovered myself in the last couple of years. Sadly overlooked and underappreciated here in the States whenever the subject of the all time great rock bands is brought up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx4Noko6vo0

Do you mean me??

bekloppt.gif cool10.gif

Yeah I know them, they were a band that I certainly heard a lot about back in the 70s.

I never really got into them heavily myself though and Ihaven't listened to them in decades.

Alex died in 1982 of a heart attack so that's why the band are no more.

Head East.....best 2 studio albums are "Flat As A Pancake" and "A Different Kind Of Crazy" and anything live is recommended. Saw them open for Atlanta Rhythm Section in '77 and Styx on their Grand Illusion tour in '78. Very good live band.

Jeff Healey (RIP) late 80s and 90s. Absolutely incredible guitar player. One of my all-timers. Like Rory, should have been much bigger than he was.

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jun 22 2011, 10:15 AM)
Rush, critics still hate them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/24b6zk4_thjpg.gif

One band I loved in the early 80s was Vandenberg. They opened for Ozzy on either the Speak of the Devil or Bark at the Moon tour (I saw both). Their "hit" single Burning Heart was a great song. Their debut album and Heading for a Storm were both solid pre hair metal efforts. Adrian Vandenberg was a phenomenal guitarist who went on to work with Whitesnake when they made the leap from blues rock to Aqua Net rock. Too bad, because Vandenberg seemed to be headed for great things, and Whitesnake was better pre Slide it In.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jun 22 2011, 10:54 AM)
Jeff Healey (RIP) late 80s and 90s. Absolutely incredible guitar player. One of my all-timers. Like Rory, should have been much bigger than he was.

goodpost.gif Jeff Healey is an amazing player, with what must be the most unique way of playing the guitar ever!!!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 22 2011, 10:32 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 22 2011, 11:54 AM)
Robin Trower. He's an excellent guitarist, most people have no clue who he is.

I do.

trink36.gif

I do too. Suppose that's why I've seen him 6 times. tongue.gif 1022.gif

Good thread btw.

Edited by driventotheedge

Savatage. I thought that they would end up bigger than they did. They kind of went from mainstream hard rock/metal to a more prog focus which is never a recipe for mainstream success. Jon is probably more famous for trans-Siberian Orchestra than for Savatage.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jun 22 2011, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 22 2011, 10:32 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 22 2011, 11:54 AM)
Robin Trower. He's an excellent guitarist, most people have no clue who he is.

I do.

trink36.gif

I do too. Suppose that's why I've seen him 6 times. tongue.gif 1022.gif

Good thread btw.

He's great live 1022.gif He should have been as popular as Hendrix.