Which 70s or 80s band that you love, do you think

treeduck

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 8 2008, 01:55 PM)
King's X never got a fair shake, IMO. They were far superior to a lot of the metal/hard rock/prog-metal that was out there at the time.

goodpost.gif

Actually they are my favourite band of all time, and it is a mystery to me (and many others) why they never broke really big.

They have it all: fantastic musicianship, an incredible sense of melody, soul, passion, and the best three part vocal harmonies in the business.

IMO, the first five albums are stunning works with almost no filler at all.

Gretchen Goes to Nebraska is possibly the best album.By anyone. Anywhere (again IMO)

I'm sure WCFields will chime in on this when he spots it. wink.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 9 2008, 04:05 PM)
King's X never got a fair shake, IMO.  They were far superior to a lot of the metal/hard rock/prog-metal that was out there at the time.

goodpost.gif

Actually they are my favourite band of all time, and it is a mystery to me (and many others) why they never broke really big.

Because all their albums sound the same..............................

Plus they were tarred with the Christian Brush, and those sep-tic Christian Rock fans will only buy Christian Rock music that has Christian written through them like a stick of rock, not from bands whose singer likes sucking big sticks of pink rock. Or summat. Allegedly.

QUOTE (King Troll @ Nov 9 2008, 11:52 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 9 2008, 04:05 PM)
King's X never got a fair shake, IMO.  They were far superior to a lot of the metal/hard rock/prog-metal that was out there at the time.

goodpost.gif

Because all their albums sound the same..............................

Plus they were tarred with the Christian Brush, and those sep-tic Christian Rock fans will only buy Christian Rock music that has Christian written through them like a stick of rock, not from bands whose singer likes sucking big sticks of pink rock. Or summat. Allegedly.

I think he's partial to black and tan rock as well from what I hear wink.gif

Yes, the Christian thing really screwed them IMO, especially as they never really made a big deal of it themselves, and they were royally f*cked after Doug admitted his penchant for mens bottoms.

And don't Motorhead, Saxon et al sound the same all the time? That's why I love them, so why should Kings X be any different?

BTW, aren't you fed up shooting fish in a barrel yet over in the "Rush" section? wink.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 9 2008, 03:05 PM)

goodpost.gif

They have it all: fantastic musicianship, an incredible sense of melody, soul, passion, and the best three part vocal harmonies in the business.

IMO, the first five albums are stunning works with almost no filler at all.

Gretchen Goes to Nebraska is possibly the best album.By anyone. Anywhere (again IMO)

I'm sure WCFields will chime in on this when he spots it. wink.gif

Totally agree with King's X.......they are my favorite band. Fridge is right about their first 5 albums being all SOLID. There last few have been great as well. An amazing band all around, and very classy individuals.

They are not big, but are very well respected by musicians and critics. They've had some poor management/marketing issues that have hurt them throughout the better part of their career. As a result, they've never been able to "break it". It's too bad, because they deserve it if anyone does.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Nov 9 2008, 07:32 PM)
Wishbone Ash
Thunder

You're showing your youth with Wishbone Ash. Back in the day the Ash weren't underrated at all.

Thunder if anything are overrated. Highly Derivative. Then again the kiddies dug them, leaving Bad Co, and Old Whitesnake for us fusties.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 8 2008, 06:55 AM)
King's X never got a fair shake, IMO. They were far superior to a lot of the metal/hard rock/prog-metal that was out there at the time.

goodpost.gif

Sadly underrated band. I just received my copy of XV today. Can't wait to dig in. 1022.gif

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Nov 10 2008, 01:20 PM)
Blue Oyster Cult is underrated in my opinion.

Naaa they were world famous in the 70s and 80's, have had a few hits and have a decent fan base even today. They pretty much got their just deserts. They're a pretty good band.

My personal favourite album is "A Fire of Unknown Origin" I remember buying it when it was first released, there's not a bad song on there.

cool.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 10 2008, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Nov 10 2008, 01:20 PM)
Blue Oyster Cult is underrated in my opinion.

Naaa they were world famous in the 70s and 80's, have had a few hits and have a decent fan base even today. They pretty much got their just deserts. They're a pretty good band.

My personal favourite album is "A Fire of Unknown Origin" I remember buying it when it was first released, there's not a bad song on there.

cool.gif

I'm familiar with "I'm Burnin' for you" from that album. I like that song.

I got a few B.O.C. albums. I've "Agents of Fortune" and another one but I don't remember its title.

yeah, B.O.C were big in the late 70's early 80's . i saw them at madison square garden in 1981 with FOGHAT opening. sold out

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 10 2008, 03:32 PM)
yeah, B.O.C were big in the late 70's early 80's . i saw them at madison square garden in 1981 with FOGHAT opening. sold out
1022.gif

I saw BOC open for Rush, but Foghat in 1981 must of been one hell of a show.

I need to out and buy Foghat Live. I used to wear that out on 8 track.

QUOTE (tangy @ Nov 10 2008, 03:48 PM)
1022.gif

I also saw BOC open for Rush on the Power Windows tour in Greensboro. Their album was called "Club Ninja"

I was lucky because BOC only opened on a few dates for that tour. Some other band(s) opened for the majority of that tour.

QUOTE (tangy @ Nov 10 2008, 03:48 PM)
1022.gif

FOGHAT LIVE is a great album 1022.gif

QUOTE (Rand @ Nov 10 2008, 04:35 PM)

Mahavishnu Orchestra

yes.gif with IMO the greatest drummer in the world BILLY COBHAM

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 10 2008, 12:49 PM)
ANVIL

AMEN to that.

Those guys, lived for METAL - and still do - for matter that their five seconds of fame was over 25+ years ago. Lips was Canada's premier lyricist too, and I just loved how he played geetar with his *ahem* crystallised banana.

Must get my autographed Anvil picture framed smile.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 9 2008, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 8 2008, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (raygun47 @ Nov 8 2008, 09:35 AM)
Rush

tongue.gif

i had a big list, but i picked out the ones that i like the best.

-Cheap Trick. there is so much more to this band than I Want You to Want me and Surrender.

Yes, very true. But both songs you mentioned are magnificent!

I agree on Cheap trick and both those songs, however they are one of the premier live bands ever! I have never seen a show I did not like and I probably have seen them as many times as Rush, if not more. From stadiums to small clubs, always a show!

And for songs that fly under the radar, check out the live version of "Please Mrs Henry" from their box set, and "Gimme Your Love" from the same disk in the box set. Mandocello is my favorite song from Cheap Trick, I even play that one on bass....

Other bands from the 70's that did not, do not get their creds? How about the Runaways?

Edited by ProfGumby

QUOTE (ProfGumby @ Nov 10 2008, 07:15 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 9 2008, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 8 2008, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (raygun47 @ Nov 8 2008, 09:35 AM)
Rush

tongue.gif

i had a big list, but i picked out the ones that i like the best.

-Cheap Trick. there is so much more to this band than I Want You to Want me and Surrender.

Yes, very true. But both songs you mentioned are magnificent!

I agree on Cheap trick and both those songs, however they are one of the premier live bands ever! I have never seen a show I did not like and I probably have seen them as many times as Rush, if not more. From stadiums to small clubs, always a show!

And for songs that fly under the radar, check out the live version of "Please Mrs Henry" from their box set, and "Gimme Your Love" from the same disk in the box set. Mandocello is my favorite song from Cheap Trick, I even play that one on bass....

Other bands from the 70's that did not, do not get their creds? How about the Runaways?

Here's a little update on Cheap Trick:

Cheap Trick: Back To Budokan, Ahead To New CD

October 31, 2008 , 2:25 PM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

As it prepares to remember its breakthrough with the upcoming "Live at Budokan: 30th Anniversary" boxed set, Cheap Trick is also readying the release of its next studio album, which guitarist Rick Nielsen says is in the can and ready to go -- although no label, title or release date are set yet.

"It sounds cool," Nielsen tells Billboard.com about the set, which the group worked on with producer Julien Raymond and which he calls a "continuation" of Cheap Trick's 2006 album "Rockford." "There are a lot of strong songs. I think (frontman) Robin (Zander) sounds great on it. I mean, the thing starts with Robin singing a cappella, which we've never really done for a whole song.

"In a way it's like 'The Who Sells Out.' We don't have commercials, but some songs are long, some are short but they all flow right into one another. It's pretty interesting."

Cheap Trick recorded the album at various points during the past 10 months, working "all over the place. We did a song here, a song there -- some in Florida, some in Chicago, some in L.A., some in London -- and then mixed them all at the same time."

Nielsen says the group also hopes to release a CD and DVD from its 30th anniversary visit to Budokan this past April, as well as of performances the group did of the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" in New York and Hollywood. Also on the docket is a release of the 1998 re-recording of 1977's "In Color" with Steve Albini; Nielsen promises "it's gonna happen" but won't say when.

The primary archival focus, however, is on the "Live at Budokan" box, which features the entire concert first released in 1998 for the 20th anniversary along with a DVD and CD of the April 30, 1978, show that was broadcast on Japanese television that year and has been in the vaults ever since.

Nielsen says the best part about these later "Budokan" releases has been the chance to show the world the entirety of the show, which he feels offers a better representation of Cheap Trick than the 10-song 1978 album that became an import sensation and the band's commercial breakthrough in the U.S.

"It shows a bit more of a heavy side to Cheap Trick ... songs that were definitely more heavy than what the (original) record was," Nielsen explains. "I was always surprised that with the success we had (in 1978-79), the ex-record company and the ex-manager didn't say, 'Gee, let's exploit this and put it out!' We waited 20 years to put the complete thing out. That's how smart we were, eh?"

1022.gif