Which 70s or 80s band that you love, do you think

treeduck

Name them, let us all know about this wondrous band that we may have missed, that may have passed us by like time, leaving us with just the bands we know, frozen in an everlasting view like the stars in the Xanadu sky!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 8 2008, 02:32 AM)
Big Star!

Power Pop Perfection! Memphis Rock and Roll!

Every record collection should include #1 Record, Radio City and Third/Sister Lovers!

Cool, not heard of them.

I started this thread because I'm always looking for new bands or old bands that might have slipped through the net. I'm always hungry for more music!

trink38.gif 1287.gif bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 8 2008, 07:32 AM)
Big Star!

Power Pop Perfection! Memphis Rock and Roll!

Every record collection should include #1 Record, Radio City and Third/Sister Lovers!

Agreed!!

Class act.

Not sure are there any Family fans on here, get Music In A Doll's House or Bandstand. Cool stuff.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 8 2008, 04:09 AM)
Big Star!

Power Pop Perfection!  Memphis Rock and Roll!

Agreed!!

Class act.

Not sure are there any Family fans on here, get Music In A Doll's House or Bandstand. Cool stuff.

I can't stand the lead singer's voice from Family. He does this warbly thing that drives me up a tree. It's a shame too, because Music In A Doll's House would be one of the great albums of the late 60's otherwise. All IMHO... eh.gif

Witchfynde - should have been huge, I suppose the Mansfield Monsters were a bit ahead of their time for the Sabbath Sludge doom bands.

Steve Hillage - completely mental Hippy Guitar God. Check out all of hsi seventies albums, avoid his System 7 garbage. This guy jumped the biggest shark ever.

John Otway - The World's biggest Micro-Star. Bonkers, absolutely bonkers. Beware of the Flowers, cos I'm sure they're gonna get you yeah!!!!!!!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 8 2008, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 8 2008, 04:09 AM)
Big Star!

Power Pop Perfection!  Memphis Rock and Roll!

Agreed!!

Class act.

I can't stand the lead singer's voice from Family. He does this warbly thing that drives me up a tree. It's a shame too, because Music In A Doll's House would be one of the great albums of the late 60's otherwise. All IMHO... eh.gif

Chapman's voice can be the deal-breaker. On Oldfield's Shadow On The Wall it is a tad irritating.

QUOTE (King Troll @ Nov 8 2008, 12:59 PM)
Witchfynde - should have been huge, I suppose the Mansfield Monsters were a bit ahead of their time for the Sabbath Sludge doom bands.

Steve Hillage - completely mental Hippy Guitar God. Check out all of hsi seventies albums, avoid his System 7 garbage. This guy jumped the biggest shark ever.

YES. YES. YES.

John Otway - The World's biggest Micro-Star. Bonkers, absolutely bonkers. Beware of the Flowers, cos I'm sure they're gonna get you yeah!!!!!!!

Mad. As. A. Leg. Of. Salmon

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Nov 8 2008, 08:35 AM)
Frank Marino (Mahogany Rush)

yes.gif 1022.gif

Definitely Utopia, their album RA is a masterpiece!! Todd Rundgren led a great band, and they kicked all kinds of musical ass! 1022.gif

I guess Yes, because they're only known by the general public for three songs (a few more, depending on your radio station) - I've Seen All Good People, Roundabout, and Owner of a Lonely Heart - when they've been around for 40 years.

good call on King's X, very underrated biggrin.gif

one of my favorite 70s/80s bands is Rainbow, also very underrated

Wishbone Ash...Argus is nearly perfect.

Family. with Roger Chapman on vocals...John Wetton on bass. never met anyone who has heard of them...

and Donovan. he's awesome.

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Nov 8 2008, 09:35 AM)
Rush

tongue.gif

i had a big list, but i picked out the ones that i like the best.

-Cheap Trick. there is so much more to this band than I Want You to Want me and Surrender.

-Dire Straits.

-Return to Forever. Romantic Warrior is usually cited in "jazz classics" or "fusion classics" album lists, but aside from that they're pretty unknown.

Thin Lizzy

They are one of my all time favorite bands. Here in the states they are only known for 'The Boys are Back in Town'. I have all of their albums and they rock! so much talent came from that band. They have switched guitarist a few times so it kept the ideas and music fresh. Just a great all around band. Phil Lynott is a great writer/singer as well as all the musicians who have played for the band. Love them!!

Pentagram comes to mind.

Bloodrock, especially the early albums with Jim Rutledge on vocals. I don't recommend their later stuff as much.

I'm a big fan of Grand Funk Railroad. Even they sold in the millions back in the day, they seem to have slipped into semi-obscurity.

I only have a couple of Budgie albums, but I like them and would like to find more.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 8 2008, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (raygun47 @ Nov 8 2008, 09:35 AM)
Rush

tongue.gif

i had a big list, but i picked out the ones that i like the best.

-Cheap Trick. there is so much more to this band than I Want You to Want me and Surrender.

Yes, very true. But both songs you mentioned are magnificent!