Info on the new Mastodon album

Stormtron

And, you're just mentioning things that have broken into the mainstream. 9/10 of the best Metal won't get mainstream recognition. I believe right now is the best time in Metal's 40 year history. All of the old guard artists are delivering some of the best material of their careers, and a bunch of the newbies have been releasing really stellar, innovative stuff.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 25 2009, 07:40 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 25 2009, 06:21 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 25 2009, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 25 2009, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 25 2009, 01:56 PM)
i will have to have a few more listens before i can say it sounds radically different. my general impression is very favorable though

the drummer is amazing. i really regret missing the blood mtn tour.

the southeast is cranking out some quality metal with Mastodon from GA and Between the buried and me from NC!

DO YOU have Baroness' Red Album?

I do

trink38.gif

I will take that as a good sign..... cool10.gif

Go on and git!

i will look for it next time i head out. i listened to a few tunes posted on youtube and liked it.

after 4 listens or so CTS is starting to click for me. among other things, this disc seems to be a bit more funky/have killer grooves than blood mtn.

it seems like parts of track #5 ghost of karelia either recycle/reuse/sounds real similar to some music from blood mountain? i am not sure but was wondering if anyone else noticed it.

edit- i listened to blood mtn and the track i think it sounds similar to is Sleepin Giant around the 1:10 mark.

i will have to have a few more listens before i can say it sounds radically different. my general impression is very favorable though

the southeast is cranking out some quality metal with Mastodon from GA and Between the buried and me from NC!

I do

trink38.gif

trink39.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 26 2009, 01:40 PM)

I do

trink38.gif

Go on and git!

i will look for it next time i head out. i listened to a few tunes posted on youtube and liked it.

after 4 listens or so CTS is starting to click for me. among other things, this disc seems to be a bit more funky/have killer grooves than blood mtn.

it seems like parts of track #5 ghost of karelia either recycle/reuse/sounds real similar to some music from blood mountain? i am not sure but was wondering if anyone else noticed it.

edit- i listened to blood mtn and the track i think it sounds similar to is Sleepin Giant around the 1:10 mark.

This thread has made me grab up my Baroness album and as I said somewhere else it sounds like a cross between Mastodon and Thin Lizzy. Which is interesting as Mastodon are big Thin Lizzy fans and they met Scott Gorham recently and played a version of the Emerald. Apparently they plan to play some live dates with Scott...

1022.gif

The Red Album was Baroness' first full-length. But, their two EPs prior to that were also hot. It's just that the EPs are a heckuva lot more sludgy than RED, not as accesible on first spin. The EPs, aptly entitled, ONE & TWO, feature some awesome tunes though. But, the songs are much more along the lines of Mastodon's early fare. If you like the Mastodon material from Leviathan backwards in time, then these EPs are for you, friend. I dig all of it. I think it's sexy as all get out. lol.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 25 2009, 11:30 PM)
And, you're just mentioning things that have broken into the mainstream. 9/10 of the best Metal won't get mainstream recognition. I believe right now is the best time in Metal's 40 year history. All of the old guard artists are delivering some of the best material of their careers, and a bunch of the newbies have been releasing really stellar, innovative stuff.

They are. Great post.

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 26 2009, 01:40 PM)

I do

trink38.gif

Go on and git!

has anyone else noticed the similar riffs? or am I just cool10.gif ed

Archived