Info on the new Mastodon album

Stormtron

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 24 2009, 10:25 PM)
Is this new Mastodon material significantly different than everything else in their discog, or have I maybe been handed a different band's CD inside of a Mastodon jacket? I mean, this stuff is really different than their past stuff. Dontcha think?

The main difference I noticed from their last albums is the lack of "cookie monster" vocals. This is good, because before this I always thought of Mastodon the same way I think of a band like Opeth, where I'm like "man, I'd LOVE these guys if they would do away with the growling vocals." That's never been my bag. That's probably why I like this album so much, because I've always thought Mastodon were great musicians, and now they have vocals I can get into too. I'll post a full review in the next couple days.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Mar 25 2009, 02:35 AM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 24 2009, 10:25 PM)
Is this new Mastodon material significantly different than everything else in their discog, or have I maybe been handed a different band's CD inside of a Mastodon jacket?  I mean, this stuff is really different than their past stuff.  Dontcha think?

The main difference I noticed from their last albums is the lack of "cookie monster" vocals. This is good, because before this I always thought of Mastodon the same way I think of a band like Opeth, where I'm like "man, I'd LOVE these guys if they would do away with the growling vocals." That's never been my bag. That's probably why I like this album so much, because I've always thought Mastodon were great musicians, and now they have vocals I can get into too. I'll post a full review in the next couple days.

Whoo well we reaaaaaally can't wait for that Puppet...especially now you're on the metal team...as long as there's no growling of course...

eyesre4.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Mar 25 2009, 09:35 AM)

Wow, these are my sentiments exactly. Although I can handle Opeth's growling, I could never get past Mastodon's cookie monster.

I still have to listen properly to the album, though. Hope to catch up soon.

gonna go buy this today. gotta get ready for the show on 5/14.

I really have never associated ( perhaps incorrectly ) Mastodon with growling/cookie monster vocals?

I am really digging the first Opeth disc I bought, there is actually far less growling than I expected, in fact I would say less than half of the vocals I have heard have growling. I am really suprised by the non-growling vocals and the beautiful melodies. Alot more 'prog" sounding than I expected too.

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 25 2009, 03:39 PM)
I am really digging the first Opeth disc I bought, there is actually far less growling than I expected, in fact I would say less than half of the vocals I have heard have growling. I am really suprised by the non-growling vocals and the beautiful melodies. Alot more 'prog" sounding than I expected too.

Which album did you get?

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Mar 25 2009, 08:48 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 25 2009, 03:39 PM)

Which album did you get?

I bought the roundhouse tapes. i did not realize it was a live recording at the time of purchase. I would of prefered to start with studio material but at least I know now that they are a great live band. I really do like all of the first disc except for "Under the weeping moon". Still warming up to disc 2. might have to pick up another opeth disc today when i go buy the new mastodon.

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 25 2009, 03:57 PM)
I bought the roundhouse tapes. i did not realize it was a live recording at the time of purchase. I would of prefered to start with studio material but at least I know now that they are a great live band. I really do like all of the first disc except for "Under the weeping moon". Still warming up to disc 2. might have to pick up another opeth disc today when i go buy the new mastodon.

Oh yeah, now I remember. You brought it up in the Opeth thread.Get Blackwater Park if you find it, it's the best to get a real feeling of the band.

Back on Mastodon, I'll charge them in the car tonight. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Mar 25 2009, 10:17 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 25 2009, 03:57 PM)

Oh yeah, now I remember. You brought it up in the Opeth thread.Get Blackwater Park if you find it, it's the best to get a real feeling of the band.

Back on Mastodon, I'll charge them in the car tonight. biggrin.gif

ok, will be in the lookout for that one.

just got back from best buy, where I bought crack the skye for $9.99!

the last baron = 1022.gif

what a great disc! I can now see how it can be considered less "growly" than blood mountain.

Digging the banjo too.

just looked up the guest vocalist, scott kelly, apparently his band is called Neurosis.

edit- d'oh! he was on blood mtn and leviathian too!

Nah, it's not just vocals. The sound of the band is radically different on this release. I'll admit that I like the material, but not nearly as much as Blood Mountain or Leviathan. The music isn't as busy. Less movement. Some might say that a lot of that movement was haphazard, but, I'd say that they weren't listening closely enough. The drummer in this band is probably the most interesting member and his role is diminished here.

Anyone hear the genius follow-up to Cynic's Focus album? They too choose to get away from the growling vox. I really think that fans of this new Mastodon outing would also dig what's on that new Cynic disc. But, the band that Mastodon fans would appreciate the most is Baroness and The Red Album. This last title is actually better than Mastodon's Blood Mountain, if you can believe that. Everyone here needs this one. Who knows this recording already?

i will have to have a few more listens before i can say it sounds radically different. my general impression is very favorable though

the drummer is amazing. i really regret missing the blood mtn tour.

the southeast is cranking out some quality metal with Mastodon from GA and Between the buried and me from NC!

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 25 2009, 01:56 PM)
i will have to have a few more listens before i can say it sounds radically different. my general impression is very favorable though

the southeast is cranking out some quality metal with Mastodon from GA and Between the buried and me from NC!

DO YOU have Baroness' Red Album?

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 25 2009, 01:59 PM)

no, for some reason that name is ringing a bell though. will do some research. thanks for the recommendation! trink39.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 25 2009, 02:08 PM)

no, for some reason that name is ringing a bell though. will do some research. thanks for the recommendation! trink39.gif

No, no, no. Listen, friend. By any means necessary, you need to obtain this album to-day. Get it, listen to it, and then we'll discuss the lil' bastid. Believe me, you. When you finally do listen to this recording you will be thanking me for the persistent nudge. This is one of the most fully-realized artistic statements in past five years. After this one sinks in, you'll be asking me for other titles within the same realm. Go on, go an' git it.

Good calls on Baroness and Cynic. I think someone from here actually recommended Baroness to me, and yeah, they're great. Cynic even making another album surprised the hell out of me, but Traced in Air was worth the wait.

I'm in love with this Mastodon album. The songs definitely have more space this time around, but I think it makes for a more dynamic album. And actually, listen to this ish with headphones.....there's still an insane amount of playing going on. Brann's still insane on this album, he's just not doing a crazy fill every second. I don't wanna say this is better than Leviathan because I haven't sat with it for years like that album, but right now I think it's tits.

I do

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Mar 25 2009, 02:35 PM)
Good calls on Baroness and Cynic. I think someone from here actually recommended Baroness to me, and yeah, they're great. Cynic even making another album surprised the hell out of me, but Traced in Air was worth the wait.

I'm in love with this Mastodon album. The songs definitely have more space this time around, but I think it makes for a more dynamic album. And actually, listen to this ish with headphones.....there's still an insane amount of playing going on. Brann's still insane on this album, he's just not doing a crazy fill every second. I don't wanna say this is better than Leviathan because I haven't sat with it for years like that album, but right now I think it's tits.

Oh, it's definitely the tits. But, what size cup is the question, my young friend. Blood Mountain was definitely a double D cup. This one, I dunno. Maybe a small C. Nah, the girl is still growing. She might fill out a nice D cup when all is said and done. This album is definitely tits though.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 25 2009, 04:27 PM)

I do

trink38.gif

I will take that as a good sign..... cool10.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 25 2009, 06:21 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 25 2009, 04:27 PM)

I do

trink38.gif

I will take that as a good sign..... cool10.gif

Go on and git!

I like this one. I appreciate the fact that it is different than the prior two. If I want to hear Blood Mountain...I'll listen to Blood Mountain. This and Lamb of God's latest,,,along with Watershed...this stuff is making metal a viable artistic commodity. Great stuff is coming out and bands are challenging others to up the ante. DT next...and I'll probably like that too.

Archived