Do you like splash cymbals?

yes.2

Well?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Like'em
    • Don't like'em

Yeah,, my problem with them is everyone I see locally that uses them treats them like crash cymbals...Plus, all the current popular types I see for sale at the local shops have big bright attacks and relativly long sustains...

I like my splashes quick and kind of "dead"..So I can really smack'em...Like the splashes Neil used on the Fly By Night album....

I think they for the most part are overused by most young rocker types these days......

I mean, you don't hear Keith Moon using them..or Bonham..And you "NEVER" hear Bruford or White using them....

I use to sport them on my kits all the time....But, I play a LOT....And I've kind of come to a realisation that they don't fit in any of my bands music....Except with swing dance music....

Edited by yes.2

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 24 2008, 09:30 AM)
of course.  they're great for accents and sneaky little fills

"Sneaky little fills." Love it.

My 10" Zildjian K splash is one of the loves of my life, but I agree, a lot of drummers over play splashes or use them as crashes. They should listen to Manu Katche or Vinnie and hear how a splash should be played.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Oct 23 2008, 08:39 PM)
I like them when they are used right, Such as a prequal to the big crash smile.gif . Portnoy uses them brilliantly. I love his custom made splashes.

I meant to say Gavin Harrison, not Portnoy. Just wanted to clear that up.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Oct 24 2008, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Oct 23 2008, 08:39 PM)
I like them when they are used right, Such as a prequal to the big crash smile.gif . Portnoy uses them brilliantly. I love his custom made splashes.

I meant to say Gavin Harrison, not Portnoy. Just wanted to clear that up.

Ah! You beat me to it! I was waiting a while to enter Gavin Harrison, into this discussion....I love that "tree" of splashes he sports on his PT kit! When he goes for splash notes it's an all out arrangement of splash notes....He makes splash cymbals interesting again.

GOD I LOVE HIS PLAYING! He's the new king!!!

QUOTE (rushbass @ Oct 24 2008, 07:26 PM)
Love 'em! That tight, high-pitched sound, with the quick decay, is the bomb!

I also like a real tight, thin, piccolo snare...

I always thought Neil would one day sport a Piccolo on an album...I use to play'em all the time....But, they lack sustain and warm/full body....That is unless you use a dynamic treatment through a PA system.....

Tim Alexander, of Primus makes a Piccolo something very very special IMHO....

Yeah, I love them. I own one now, a 10" Wuhan. It has a very bright tone to it, with a LOT of sustain. But I don't mind it for the most part, it has an awesome sound to it. I generally enjoy china & splash cymbals, or 'effect' cymbals.

Splashes are put to excellent use by Stewart Copeland and Gavin Harrison. Mike Portnoy does a neat job with them as well.

QUOTE (rushbass @ Oct 24 2008, 07:26 PM)
I also like a real tight, thin, piccolo snare...

QUOTE (yes.2 @ Oct 24 2008, 10:20 PM)
Tim Alexander, of Primus makes a Piccolo something very very special IMHO....

goodpost.gif Absolutely! That's what I am talking about right there... trink39.gif

splashes certainly are great for accents and used as an "effects' cymbal. I personally have a 10" SABIAN that I love for it's thin sharp sound and quick decay. I really love the sounds of different sized splashes such as the 6"8" and 12" each having their own sharp "tone".

Love the sound of a nice, crisp 10 or 12 in Zildjian Splash!!

They`re perfect for accenting, crashes, and, "So Much Stuff Without Style!!" 1022.gif

I have a 6, 8, and a 12 inch Zildjian Splash.

Oh yeah, listen to Beauford, Copeland, Tim Alexander, and Abbruzesse!! They play the crap out of them!!!

Ya`ll take care

used in the right place , they are fun to use

i like thin sharp sounding cymbals on my set. My largest cymbal is a 16" crash(besides the ride and china). The wuhan splashs sound awesome to me and are cheap as hell. The 10" splash is my favorite cymbal.

I have a few 8's and 10's. 12's are a bit too big for my taste. I like 'em papery and quick.

Effects cymbals are great. I've got four & would get more. I also go with china cymbals as well. That, I've got three. Crashes-five. The more, the merrier!!

Splash cymbals? Love em. I've got one 8" and two 10" currently. I'm also getting a second 8" soon too. The Sabian AAX seem to be my favorites currently. They're very bright and quick, but they also have a wet sound to them as well.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Dec 15 2008, 12:34 AM)
Splash cymbals? Love em. I've got one 8" and two 10" currently. I'm also getting a second 8" soon too. The Sabian AAX seem to be my favorites currently. They're very bright and quick, but they also have a wet sound to them as well.

I have an 8" AAX as well!! Did you know that the original make of Sabian was the prototype to the AAX? When Sabian first made their cymbals, they made them like the AAX only. It caused the Zildjian company to compete & make the A Customs. Since Sabian (owner-former brother Zildjian) had the 'family recipe' to Zildjian cymbals, they started expanding. Probably the best thing that happened to the drumming community was the feud of the Zildjian brothers!

Sorry for the ramble but I always find that fascinating!

Splashes are great. Nice quick bright response with a quick decay as well.

But the Portnoy China Splash (Max Stax), probably his best contribution to drumming, takes it to another level.

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...10002_-49979506

http://www.samash.com/wcsstore/root/Items/IP_S/SMP5005LX_ip.jpg

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 15 2008, 03:00 PM)

But the Portnoy China Splash (Max Stax), probably his best contribution to drumming, takes it to another level.

Max splash is a derivative of Terry Bozzio's 'White Noise'

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Dec 15 2008, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 15 2008, 03:00 PM)

Max splash is a derivative of Terry Bozzio's 'White Noise'

I never knew that. Albeit, back in '85, I had inverted a bent cheap cymbal with a cracked 14" crash and got a sound very similar to the Max Stax.

I'll need to look for a sound sample of the White Noise.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Dec 15 2008, 01:53 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Dec 15 2008, 12:34 AM)

I have an 8" AAX as well!! Did you know that the original make of Sabian was the prototype to the AAX? When Sabian first made their cymbals, they made them like the AAX only. It caused the Zildjian company to compete & make the A Customs. Since Sabian (owner-former brother Zildjian) had the 'family recipe' to Zildjian cymbals, they started expanding. Probably the best thing that happened to the drumming community was the feud of the Zildjian brothers!

Sorry for the ramble but I always find that fascinating!

Hahaha, don't worry. I know exactly how you feel. Yes I did know that. And I agree about the feud between the Zildjian brothers, haha. Just out of curiosity, what china cymbals are you using? (and this question applies to everybody as well)

Eh, I'm just not a fan of the Max Stax cymbals. I used to have a set of the 8" ones that I picked up used off of one of my customers and I just couldn't find a way to fit them into my playing style. In the end, I ended up selling them to another music store for more than what I paid for them smile.gif

Edited by kazzman