Too Young To Remeber...

Maestro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJ27TgBvJE&feature=related

...The video for the song, directed by Russell Mulcahy, was the first video aired on MTV two years later, at midnight on 1 August 1981. By this time, the Camera Club had released their version of the song...

...In 1980, Horn and Downes began work on a second album, working in a studio next door to progressive rock band Yes, who had recently lost vocalist Jon Anderson and keyboardist Rick Wakeman. Both Buggles, and Horn in particular, had been long-standing fans of Yes, but felt that the quality of their recent music had been slipping. The Buggles offered a song to Yes, "We Can Fly from Here," but at the suggestion of Brian Lane, manager of both bands, Yes' bassist Chris Squire invited them to actually replace Anderson and Wakeman as fully fledged members of Yes...

...The fruit of their labours was the album Drama (1980, UK #2, US #18). A track called "Into the Lens" was released in its full eight and a half minute form, on a limited-edition one-sided 12-inch single. Essentially it was an unfinished Buggles song originally titled "I am a Camera," re-worked and completed by Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buggles

III.

Wow, I was only 10 years old when the vid first aired, and was most likely in bed sleeping at that time, although I had seen it enough during the day when I used to watch MTV constantly!

And thanx for that little piece of Yes History, even though I already knew it, just not that in depth! biggrin.gif

I remember yes.gif - now I wonder is there any reason other than the song title that one was choosen to be the first? unsure.gif Were there even other choices? unsure.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Oct 9 2008, 04:39 AM)
I remember  yes.gif - now I wonder is there any reason other than the song title that one was choosen to be the first? unsure.gif Were there even other choices? unsure.gif

Oh, I'm fairly certain that there were plenty of vids in line for the opening slot...

The ultimate choice must've been an exeuctive decision of some sort: a drawing of straws; pulling a number out of a hat; maybe even pulling a name out of a tumbler. Something along those lines. wink.gif

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Oct 10 2008, 02:36 PM)
And remember the old VJs from back then...

Martha Quinn
Mark Goodman (on Sirius radio now)
J.J. Jackson
Nina Blackwood
Alan Hunter

yeah! I particularly remember Martha Quinn.

They used to have a news show within MTV called "Liner Notes". I believe Martha Quinn hosted it.

She also appeared in "Centerfold" video from J. Geils band as I recall.

Folks had been doing videos for a few years prior to MTV. I started watching MTV several months after it's initial premiere.

Seemed like most of the videos on then were new wave bands and heavy metal bands.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Oct 10 2008, 11:36 AM)

Martha Quinn
Mark Goodman (on Sirius radio now)
J.J. Jackson
Nina Blackwood
Alan Hunter

Yeah...

Martha Quinn was a close second to Mark Goodman -as VJs go. smile.gif

Ah, I remember that video well. yes.gif

I don't know if we had MTV from the very first day, but probably within the first month at the most. Back then there were so few videos that they kept palying the same ones over and over incessantly, but it wasn't too long before people caught on that it was the wave of the future and you needed videos to get exposure.

Of course, that was back when MTV actually played videos... unsure.gif

Martha Quinn... the VJ people loved to hate wink.gif

I remember seeing a lot of videos of Pat Benatar - "Precious Time", "Fire and Ice", "You Better Run", "I'm Gonna Follow You", "Hit me with your best shot".

I used to love her before Rush took top spot.

I didn't have cable, but friends did. We'd go to their house and hang out in the living room with MTV on the whole time. Ditto if I spent the night: the channel was on around-the-clock.

Madonna, Michael Jackson, and Def Leppard can thank MTV for their careers.

Personally, I loved the New Wave one-hit-wonder artists. And a few others: Yes, Triumph, Zebra, and... Rush.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 11 2008, 03:54 AM)

I remember when MTV started talking about Madonna before her first video even showed up. They were hyping her as some kind of international superstar, and we were all like, "Um, who?" confused13.gif

MTV completely made her a star. Makes you wonder how closely they're in league with record companies...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 11 2008, 06:53 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 11 2008, 03:54 AM)

I remember when MTV started talking about Madonna before her first video even showed up. They were hyping her as some kind of international superstar, and we were all like, "Um, who?" confused13.gif

MTV completely made her a star. Makes you wonder how closely they're in league with record companies...

And they played the hell out of Def Leppard, too. Remember all those videos from their first couple albums? Joe Elliot in his sleeveless Union Jack shirts? They wouldn't have been a blip on the radar if it wasn't for MTV.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 10 2008, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Oct 10 2008, 02:36 PM)

Martha Quinn
Mark Goodman  (on Sirius radio now)
J.J. Jackson
Nina Blackwood
Alan Hunter

yeah! I particularly remember Martha Quinn.

They used to have a news show within MTV called "Liner Notes". I believe Martha Quinn hosted it.

She also appeared in "Centerfold" video from J. Geils band as I recall.

Folks had been doing videos for a few years prior to MTV. I started watching MTV several months after it's initial premiere.

Seemed like most of the videos on then were new wave bands and heavy metal bands.

I always thought that was Martha in the J. Giels vid, but it isn't. no.gif That girl was far cuter and had much more on top than Martha had.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 11 2008, 09:27 AM)
Def Leppard were good in the early days before they became a kiddie band.

No.

The only good thing Duff Leper ever did was their first EP. Everything else they have done has been complete and utter shite.

I first saw them back in '79 expecting to be impressed, I wasn't. They were blown offstage by their support band called Dedringer - who were nothing more than a good pub-METAL band.

Joe Elliot is a talentless arrogant wanker and the worst singer in rock.

Hello America f**k Off Duff Leper.

Joe if you're so proud of being a deedah, why do you live in Ireland? And why do all the band look like aging Transvestites?

QUOTE (King Troll @ Oct 11 2008, 09:53 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 11 2008, 09:27 AM)
Def Leppard were good in the early days before they became a kiddie band.

No.

The only good thing Duff Leper ever did was their first EP. Everything else they have done has been complete and utter shite.

I first saw them back in '79 expecting to be impressed, I wasn't. They were blown offstage by their support band called Dedringer - who were nothing more than a good pub-METAL band.

Joe Elliot is a talentless arrogant wanker and the worst singer in rock.

Hello America f**k Off Duff Leper.

Joe if you're so proud of being a deedah, why do you live in Ireland? And why do all the band look like aging Transvestites?

goodpost.gif

Well said. Though High N Dry had one or two decent tracks.....

Archived