APOD

RushRevisited

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Sep 9 2004, 09:30 AM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 9 2004, 08:21 AM)
AWESOME Phoenix!!!!!  trink39.gif

Every month a new fantastic picture made by Hubble.

The Hubble Heritage Gallery

A must seen for me.

trink39.gif

Awesome Phoenix! Thanks for the link!

My fav (per these posts) is APOD:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 9 2004, 09:00 AM)
Awesome Phoenix! Thanks for the link!

My fav (per these posts) is APOD:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

Thanx RR.

I will add that one to my faves. biggrin.gif

Very nice site.

BTW-The frances pic is kind of scary. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Sep 9 2004, 10:08 AM)

BTW-The frances pic is kind of scary. ohmy.gif

yes.gif I can't wait to see their Ivan pic... They are saying Ivan is the strongest hurricane in a decade - sustained winds of 160 so far and still warm water to go over to increase power.... ohmy.gif

Thanks to both of you for the links...these pictures are gorgeous. I'll look forward to sharing these with my son---he's developing a real interest in this kind of thing.

Hi Phoenix! I see you there! bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 9 2004, 09:23 AM)
Probably not yet, but it is a thought I had... Soon. We may eliminate one forum here in non-rush anyway soon if things don't change there, which will open up for something new... I would like to see that eventually too, especially with the winter skies coming I plan to have my telescope out often this winter smile.gif Saturn will start being viisble in about a month pre-sunrise here and I will want to take some pics thru my telescope and post them smile.gif

Your own pictures are reason enough to start a new section for this. yes.gif

I loved your pictures back on RT.

Would be a shame not to share them here.

Do you have to close one to start a new? Is there a limit?

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Sep 9 2004, 10:32 AM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 9 2004, 09:23 AM)
Probably not yet, but it is a thought I had... Soon.  We may eliminate one forum here in non-rush anyway soon if things don't change there, which will open up for something new...  I would like to see that eventually too, especially with the winter skies coming I plan to have my telescope out often this winter smile.gif  Saturn will start being viisble in about a month pre-sunrise here and I will want to take some pics thru my telescope and post them smile.gif

Your own pictures are reason enough to start a new section for this. yes.gif

I loved your pictures back on RT.

Would be a shame not to share them here.

Do you have to close one to start a new? Is there a limit?

No limit to # of forums, but we just don't want it to get to convoluted (my word of the month LOL)... Soon though we will...

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 9 2004, 10:38 AM)
Always beautiful pics RR, got any more?

From APOD (Hubble, etc) yes. From my telescope, no - I need to (this weekend?) but some high end locking casters so I can roll it out from my garage easier. It is soooooo heavy and I hate lifting the thing (and ducking with it lifted to avoid knocking it on the garage door jam). I will probably do that this week. Winter will be better skies anyway, so I plan on having it out a lot then. I also spoke with the police and they agreed to let me use a local park here with no lights, etc for viewing so that will be cool... Less backlight....

I did get it out for the full moon a week or two ago and let my 3 year old look thru it, but she can't seem to get the hang of closing ONE eye and looking thru the little hole - plus it is so big/high that I have to lift her and hold her steady for her to see laugh.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 9 2004, 09:42 AM)
Winter will be better skies anyway....

Autumn woods and winter skies.....

I've got a song in my heart, what can I say?

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 9 2004, 10:57 AM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 9 2004, 09:42 AM)
Winter will be better skies anyway....

Autumn woods and winter skies.....

I've got a song in my heart, what can I say?

biggrin.gif

That is a great boot!

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 9 2004, 12:46 PM)
yes.gif trink39.gif Soon, but not too soon due to my schedule right now (busy!). Plus want to wait a little til Saturn and Jupiter are visible inthe night sky...

Cool.....

The comet should be around early part of October.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 9 2004, 11:24 AM)
Next vacation we take to Kiawah Island I will be taking it with me - there you can see milky way with the naked eye on some nights... Can't wait, but that will have to wait until next year sad.gif

Now you make me jealous.

Hope you have a clear sky...

Go for it, and post the pics. trink39.gif

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0408/ring_lewin.jpg

Explanation: What caused this ring of colors? At the time of this writing, MIT Physics Professor Walter Lewin had yet to find someone who can give the correct explanation. Not students. Not colleagues. Not APOD editors. He wonders how the astute readers of APOD will do. Can you match wits with Professor Lewin? Lewin took the above picture in a construction area in Massachusetts on June 20. Your answer should be able to explain the color sequence and the bright area in the center. Shortly after he gives the explanation on December 7 during a lecture in his course Vibrations and Waves at MIT, APOD will carry a link to it. A discussion page for this image will be held in the APOD Forum on the Asterisk*. Additionally, Professor Lewin will answer appropriate e-mail questions and guesses sent to asklewin@space.mit.edu

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 13 2004, 11:04 AM)
That looks like salt on the ground.  Is it caused by the flash of his camera which is reflecting off the ground?

Excellent! I was thinking snow, with the sun directly behind him, but you should email him at that email addy to put in your guess!