Neil's bike(s)???

lya2112yyz

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lya2112yyz @ Sep 2 2008, 11:11 AM)
Thanks biggrin.gif Maybe I should have put this where all the guys will see it smile.gif

Hey, us guys sneek a peek in here every now and then... unsure.gif

At one time, he had a 1994 BMW R1100GS (used on his 14 month / 55,000 mile tour documented in "Ghost Rider")

Here's one for sale:

http://anderwerks.blogspot.com/2008/07/1994-bmw-r1100gs.html

He later upgraded to a BMW R1200GS and had a BMW R1150GS, as a backup...

Edited by rushbass

In October of '05, I bought the second 2006 R1200GS delivered in Los Angeles. I heard Neil had one so I went online to BMWMotorad and seen it. That day I had it. Rock Red paint that Neil has on his '07. That was the last year they made the red tank. The new '08 silver would be the one I would get and customize the red paint onto it. You know Neil had the '07 delivered to Irvine before the show! No wonder he was smiles that night! The dealership is the same as my '06 too. And they all got backstage passes that night... 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Sep 5 2008, 10:16 PM)
In October of '05, I bought the second 2006 R1200GS delivered in Los Angeles. I heard Neil had one so I went online to BMWMotorad and seen it. That day I had it. Rock Red paint that Neil has on his '07. That was the last year they made the red tank. The new '08 silver would be the one I would get and customize the red paint onto it. You know Neil had the '07 delivered to Irvine before the show! No wonder he was smiles that night! The dealership is the same as my '06 too. And they all got backstage passes that night... 2.gif 1022.gif

I want a motorcycle worse than anything. Just a sport bike, like a Ninja or something. Husband pitches fits anytime I bring up the subject - he's worried I'll get myself killed.

A bike is like any tool; there is risk involved that can be minimized (but not eliminated) with proper training and responsible use.

Before getting a bike, please carefully consider what type of riding you will be doing and be honest with yourself about your experience level. Then choose accordingly. Neil's bike is fantastic for long distance and varied surface but not the best choice for a daily commuter. A sport bike is quick and agile fun, but the riding position can be tiring on longer rides. A cruiser is comfy and has bling factor, but doesn't handle as nimbly as a sportier ride. Also consider dealer locations, cost of routine maintenance, etc to see what one really costs long term. I haven't even touched on chain vs shaft vs belt drive, spokes vs cast wheels...this is a passion of mine as you can see!

So many different styles of bikes, in so many different price ranges! A bike is a significant investment; choose carefully so you will be pleased!

QUOTE (wordsmith @ Sep 6 2008, 09:08 AM)
A bike is like any tool; there is risk involved that can be minimized (but not eliminated) with proper training and responsible use.

Before getting a bike, please carefully consider what type of riding you will be doing and be honest with yourself about your experience level. Then choose accordingly. Neil's bike is fantastic for long distance and varied surface but not the best choice for a daily commuter. A sport bike is quick and agile fun, but the riding position can be tiring on longer rides. A cruiser is comfy and has bling factor, but doesn't handle as nimbly as a sportier ride. Also consider dealer locations, cost of routine maintenance, etc to see what one really costs long term. I haven't even touched on chain vs shaft vs belt drive, spokes vs cast wheels...this is a passion of mine as you can see!

So many different styles of bikes, in so many different price ranges! A bike is a significant investment; choose carefully so you will be pleased!

I disagree about the R1200GS being a bad commuter bike. It's way nimble and no problem splitting lanes. Daily I commute from downtown Los Angeles to the beach in Santa Monica, but first I drop off somebody on North La Brea and make killer time, I mean killer. Also I'm doing 40 in between lanes on the 10 freeway from the beach up to Normandy exit..The bike is by far an excellent commuter bike. I put a Carbon fiber exhaust on it and it's so torquey and breathes so much better. It's like a motocross bike and the streets of L.A. are one big motocross track. It helps when you have 40 years experience in motorcycle riding. The R1200GS is the best bike I've owned and I have seven different kinds of bikes... 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (wordsmith @ Sep 6 2008, 11:08 AM)

Well, please tell me how I can get past the spousal objections!

I know that there is a whole special set of responsibilities and cautions that come with being a rider. And I would be a true beginner. . .I have NEVER ridden except behind someone.

I have every intention of taking a number of safety/maintenance classes (not just the state-required ones) and I know that the clothing has a point other than just looking cool. I know of more than one person who has escaped severe scarring from road rash thanks to their leathers.

My reasons for wanting a bike are mainly for commuting (work is 15 miles away) and just to have a little fun tooling around.

But it's a moot point right now.

I made a stop in Pickerington OH on Sunday (in the midst of an OH adventure), to the Motorcycle Hall of Fame, where Neil's R1100 GS Ghost Rider bike and R30 touring kit are currently on display. cool.gif cool.gif Here's my pix of the bike. It was a thrill to see, and i touched the back of it biggrin.gif

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/DSCN5597.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/DSCN5578-1.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/DSCN5582.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/DSCN5580.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/DSCN5585.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/DSCN5582.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/DSCN5586.jpg

I just noticed that the trip mileage is 212 Uhh, that's pretty cool.

trink38.gif NeilFinal.gif

^^^Thanks for posting. Good job, getting the picture with the Ontario plate.

Just curious: what were the "warning" signs that were posted around the drumkit?

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 9 2008, 02:02 PM)
^^^Thanks for posting.  Good job, getting the picture with the Ontario plate.
Just curious: what were the "warning" signs that were posted around the drumkit?

Thanks smile.gif They were warning you to not touch anything, that they are hooked up to sensors and you are being videotaped. I had to touch the bike, and one spot on the gold plated hardware on the kit, but I ended up tripping the sensor alarm when my foot accidentally hit the bottom of the drum kit riser. It just beeped for 10 seconds and went off. No one bothered me, and in fact took a staff member took a picture of me with the kit and bike cool.gif

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Sep 9 2008, 09:46 PM)
Guess who's birthday it is on Friday...The Professor. Hooray!!! 2.gif 1022.gif

Yup. The old man of the group - he'll be 56. old.gif

Gotta get some work done this weekend on the GS. An oil change with four new spark plugs and air filter. New front dics brakes. and I sheared a couple bolts from stress...gunnin it in LA or flying2highinLA!!!!! 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (lya2112yyz @ Sep 2 2008, 08:01 AM)
My parents have given me some cash for me to replace my old Vespa... I wanted to know what bikes Neil has, and if anyone can dig up pictures, it'll be a great help. biggrin.gif

Going from a Vespa to an 1100 bike is just askin fer troubles...

ph34r.gif