Suggestions for improving Turn The Page

Jack Aubrey

Got an idea? Post it here!

• Like 1

I think if activity is low in the forum it's only because more people don't read. It'd be kinda nice if non-readers could be encouraged to read and thus participate here... but how does one do that?

I can't explain to someone who "hates to read" what reading has given to me in my life... but I'll try. I'm a 40-year-old man without a college degree who barely graduated high school, and yet I'm a very smart person because I've self-educated myself through voracious reading. (Remember, if it helps, that Professor Peart is a high school drop-out.) Reading has brought me to places that even films cannot, but most importantly it's expressed ideas to me and encouraged thought and imagination.

People who don't read are missing out. Big time. And people who can't read (none of these people are on the board, obviously)... well, I wish something could be done for them. I'd like to donate some time someday to teaching illiterate adults to read; it's something that's very important to me. In the choice between books, CDs, or movies, I'd probably pick the books.

Reading is entertaining, educational, and so important.

• Like 2

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 29 2008, 09:24 PM)
I think if activity is low in the forum it's only because more people don't read. It'd be kinda nice if non-readers could be encouraged to read and thus participate here... but how does one do that?

I can't explain to someone who "hates to read" what reading has given to me in my life... but I'll try. I'm a 40-year-old man without a college degree who barely graduated high school, and yet I'm a very smart person because I've self-educated myself through voracious reading. (Remember, if it helps, that Professor Peart is a high school drop-out.) Reading has brought me to places that even films cannot, but most importantly it's expressed ideas to me and encouraged thought and imagination.

People who don't read are missing out. Big time. And people who can't read (none of these people are on the board, obviously)... well, I wish something could be done for them. I'd like to donate some time someday to teaching illiterate adults to read; it's something that's very important to me. In the choice between books, CDs, or movies, I'd probably pick the books.

I wish I could read more, but with my masters degree in progress, I read so much there and don't have much time for leisure reading. And then when I do have the time after the semester, I'm burned out sad.gif

But I go though times where I don't have a lot to do where I NEED to read something good. And I do, then I stop for various reasons, like mentioned above.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 29 2008, 07:24 PM)

You're an autodidact! That is wonderful. I'll bet many people here are, too.

I'm a voracious reader, too; I must simply make the time to post what I am currently reading from day to day.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Oct 15 2008, 10:06 PM)
More Jack Aubrey pictures! yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

Or how about a contest on a favorite Poet or something, so we see who the TRF community likes the best?

Pictures of me or pictures I've taken?

And by contest do you mean poll?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 19 2008, 06:35 PM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Oct 15 2008, 10:06 PM)
More Jack Aubrey pictures! yes.gif  yes.gif  yes.gif

Or how about a contest on a favorite Poet or something, so we see who the TRF community likes the best?

Pictures of me or pictures I've taken?

And by contest do you mean poll?

Doesn't matter on the picture part unsure.gif

And ya a poll, couldn't find the word at that time.

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Jul 17 2010, 05:34 AM)
QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 16 2010, 11:47 PM)
Booze

Yeah...what TN77 said....boobs!!!!

Right now the Boob's in MOTS, clogging it up with polls, so go there if you want that. As for booze, you're on your own. cool.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 17 2010, 07:58 AM)
QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Jul 17 2010, 05:34 AM)
QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 16 2010, 11:47 PM)
Booze

Yeah...what TN77 said....boobs!!!!

Right now the Boob's in MOTS, clogging it up with polls, so go there if you want that. As for booze, you're on your own. cool.gif

Ain't that the truth!!!

Boobs, books, and beer? Well, you'll certainly get the dudes here. Look at that rhyme scheme! I'm so talented.

I could think of tons of ways to make this place the most awesomest place ever but it would offend about 95% of the boards. And it would be strictly academic and would involve non-coolish literature.

Oh yeah, and 1984.

Well, encourage people to post short stories and/or lyrics, poem, and other stuff.

Novelists can share their stories and/or help each other out.

I don't know, I say we post the titles of our works, find out if anyone is interested, and then we can e-mail each other excerpts. I trust we're all well-behaved enough to trust each other with our works.

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 21 2011, 04:07 AM)
this forum is dead!

Any suggestions?

What..is it on life support? ohmy.gif

..or is it D.O.A.??? wink.gif rofl3.gif

..Does seem alittle quiet in here..

I'm a newby, so don't know how it was before. confused13.gif

MORE chicks, fire trucks,and beer

does sound like da plan, stan. yes.gif biggrin.gif

..Whats the current ratio, anyway?? 50-1???

Edited by go2wrk@95974

Post in the threads!

Create new threads!

New discussions!

That's the best way to create more activity.

I'm not really sure what else we can do.

Are there any more threads anyone would like pinned? I'm sure a mod could take care of that...

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 21 2011, 10:24 PM)
Post in the threads!
Create new threads!
New discussions!
That's the best way to create more activity.
I'm not really sure what else we can do.
Are there any more threads anyone would like pinned? I'm sure a mod could take care of that...

Now, that makes perfect sense yes.gif

Obvious, really

QUOTE (ouchithurts @ Aug 29 2008, 09:26 PM)
Chicks, fire trucks and beer!

^This, but don't forget the Black Jack tables equipped with people who will make me a Vodka Martini; shaken, not stirred.