the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 7 2010, 06:55 PM)
I just listened to Tales From Topographical Oceans for the first time today. It is awesome! Only complaint is that it is a bit long, but otherwise its practically a masterpiece.

It takes time for it to grow on you. But once it does...Oh boy. It's transcendent. 4 sides of prog magic. wub.gif

I want to make a Muse thread, but I'm worried the fangirling will overtake me and I'll make a buffoon of myself. You guys don't know what that band and their music does to me. If there was a deadly sin for a person, that would be mine... unsure.gif

QUOTE (garbo @ Nov 8 2010, 11:52 PM)
I want to make a Muse thread, but I'm worried the fangirling will overtake me and I'll make a buffoon of myself. You guys don't know what that band and their music does to me. If there was a deadly sin for a person, that would be mine... unsure.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 9 2010, 07:58 PM)
I need more Jethro Tull albums. I only have Aqualung, Stand Up and Minstrel in the Gallery. I've enjoyed all three of these.

Get Thick As A Brick next 1022.gif

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Nov 13 2010, 05:56 PM)
Saw a vinyl copy of Johnny Cash's at san Quentin, at Best Buy today, was really tempted to get, but then remembered that I don't have a record player. laugh.gif

Buy it anyways! Then, when you do get a record player, you'll have something good to play on it.

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Nov 13 2010, 05:56 PM)
Saw a vinyl copy of Johnny Cash's at san Quentin, at Best Buy today, was really tempted to get, but then remembered that I don't have a record player. laugh.gif

Get a Ion USB record player and some speakers. That way, you can listen to the vinyl on the speakers and convert them to CD/mp3.

So, um, tomorrow I turn seventeen so I realized that my two "lasts" as a sixteen year old were as follows. They're not what I listen to all the time, though I do listen to them every so often.

Last artist, album, and song: Depeche Mode - Violator - "Clean"

Excellent album, if I might say so. Goodbye, sixteen, and hello seventeen. Hope you're even more awesome than the previous year was.

After hearing a lot of good reviews, I finally got Octahedron by The Mars Volta. This is the first album of theirs that I've listened to and I was impressed. It dragged at times but overall I enjoyed it. My favorite tracks were Teflon and Cotopaxi. I'm going to get a few more of their albums when I have the time/money.

Random thought:

More people need to appreciate Two Steps From Hell. They're really a very talented orchestra... Chances are, you've heard them in movie trailers and video games.

I like "Nemesis" and "Down With the Enterprise" (yes, the latter was from a Star Trek (2009) movie trailer), but I love their music. Wonderful composition, if anything!

Another:

Michael Giacchino is underrated. He writes some amazing scores.

QUOTE (The Lost Xanadu @ Nov 21 2010, 05:47 PM)
I've always wondered how guitarist in the 70's were able to move around so well and not fall flat on their face when they wore platform shoes...

Woah. I feel like my mind has been blown with this thought.

When I was a voice major we used to have to watch ourselves sing to see what dumb things we would do. It was amusing and embarrassing.

Just listened to the Journey album Revelation for the first time. Arnel Pineda does a great job on this album. He's not Steve Perry, but he can sing. Journey is set to release a new album next year and supposedly its going to be concept album. I'm really looking forward to this and hopefully a tour to follow it. 1022.gif

QUOTE (garbo @ Nov 21 2010, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (The Lost Xanadu @ Nov 21 2010, 05:47 PM)
I've always wondered how guitarist in the 70's were able to move around so well and not fall flat on their face when they wore platform shoes...

Woah. I feel like my mind has been blown with this thought.

It makes you wonder doesn't it? wacko.gif

Stream Of Consciousness by Dream Theater has to be the most difficult song i've ever had to play along with. And that was just the rhythm part. Just absolutely insane ohmy.gif

All this talk about a possible new Van Halen album makes me seriously need to get the following off my chest:

I would be a happy camper if I NEVER, EVER heard from or saw David Lee Roth again. He was interesting and intriguing at first because we hadn't seen anything like him. But, he always made me uncomfortable because he looked so much like a slutty chick. The first couple of VH albums are STILL really good because they hold the rawness and power that Van Halen was before they got too big for their own good. It didn't take long for DLR to show what he really was: A HORRIBLE singer whose main talent was in how he wore spandex. He's is cheesy and a moron. His playboy, male ho persona does not translate well to an almost 60-year-old man. Now, he reminds me of the nasty, perv, registered offender type guy that mothers hide their children from.

I just needed to say that. And, I feel a lot better for it.

Caree on...