the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

Bono's kid has a band, and they've put out an album today, and I can tell just from iTunes samples it's both heavily derivative of U2 (and their contemporaries) and has more life in it than nearly anything Bono himself has done in at least a decade, probably two. It also sounds better than other stuff on the iTunes front page.

And by my initial estimation... they're not amazing, just decent.

Boy what a state things are in for popular "alternative rock."

On 11/17/2020 at 9:47 AM, Union 5-3992 said:

Puscifer's new album is what Steven Wilson wishes The Future Bites will sound like

I'd like to swap said Puscifer album with The Tipping Point by Tears for Fears. That really is the sound he seemed to have been aiming for. 

22 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Elton John's 70s output is absurd. 10 quality albums (2 of them doubles) in 7 years. And the tracks he scrapped and released as singles during this time could have made another quality record. 

Elton john's 70's output (at least through Captain Fantastic for me......Blues Moves is OK) is still my fav run by any band/artist.  It's not even close for me.

Nobody touches it IMO.

Mick

• Like 2

I just have to say this......you can disagree but........modern metal production sucks ass.  everything compressed and the drums (i'm a big drum fan) All the same flat lifeless sound.  i've heard  it over multiple metal albums this year.

They should get their sit together.

luckily not all bands have this problem.....but it's enough where i've noticed it so......

Mick

• Like 1

I can still recall song lyrics from a majority of rock/metal bands I used to indulge with over 30+ years ago. And yet I can barely remember some of their most recent output over the last 5-10 years, with Rush being one of them.

Is that because modern music is more forgettable or is it just my addled brain unwilling to absorb new information?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

My new year's resolution is to listen to a new album every day. Let's see how far I go before I get derailed.

I’m repeating the one I did two years ago, listening to a new release each week.

16 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’m repeating the one I did two years ago, listening to a new release each week.

Do you count multiple releases on a single day? I'm stacking a bunch of new records now for time I know I'll miss later. I'm up to 12 atm to buy some wiggle room.

1 hour ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Do you count multiple releases on a single day? I'm stacking a bunch of new records now for time I know I'll miss later. I'm up to 12 atm to buy some wiggle room.

I didn’t do too well last time I tried, wound up going back in the last few weeks of the year to play loads of catch up while I had Covid. I’d say the important thing is that you listen to the quantity of music you set out for yourself by the end of the year.

4 hours ago, ReRushed said:

If a band like U2 wrote and recorded "Bravado" it would be considered a classic. One of the best songs ever.

This is true