the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

"Regarding "Holocaust", have you heard Yoko Ono's "Mrs. Lennon"? Alex Chilton surely did!"

I hadn't until now. Wow, I've always thought that He's So Fine vs My Sweet Lord was ridiculous, but here Alex obviously copied John Lennon's piano, though I can believe it was unintentional, as he claims:

The Bob: Did you have that song in mind when you wrote “Holocaust”?

CHILTON: I don’t know. I think that it was one of those instances of plagiarism that you sort of are aware of somewhere in your mind, but not…I think that, at the time I was doing the tune, I didn’t realize that I was copying it.

Unlike J. Page failing to credit Dazed and Confused and Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. Hard to believe those could have been unintentional. I couldn't care less though; I'm guessing that he didn't guess how big LZ would become (of course) and so didn't think anyone would really notice, and at that time, everyone was copying everyone else, especially when blues were involved.

Edited by Rutlefan

Got XTC's Nonsuch today and it's brilliant. The only other album of theirs that I have is Drums and Wires, which is also great. Definitely need to check out more of their stuff.

One of my all-time favorite bands. Black Sea, English Settlement, Skylarking, Appel Venus Vol.1, Mummer, The Big Express...

And... The Dukes of Stratosphere!

Great, great stuff.

I can't get enough of that instrumental melody in the middle of Firth of Fifth...you know the one...first it's played on the flute and piano, then later it's played on lead guitar.

Absolutely magical.

• Like 3

How good an album is Aerosmith's Rocks? Wow.

Walking on Gucci, wearin' Yves Saint Laurent

Barely stay on, 'cause I'm so goddamn gaunt

• Like 1

I live in New Jersey and never bought a Bruce Springsteen album. Is there something wrong with me ?

Yes. ;) j/k

That first album is so interesting lyrically and vocally. There's nothing else quite like it in rock that I know of. A unique American creation.

Too bad it was making him poor and he felt the need to change his style. Not that Born to Run or Darkness are failures in any sense. i just would have liked to hear more of that "first" sound he created.

Edited by sitboaf

Big Star is the greatest American rock band nobody's heard of.

Yes, we are indeed musical doppelgängers. I agree with everything you've written. Though of course, musical types of a certain ilk have heard of Big Star/Alex Chilton, like The Replacements, Teenage Fanclub, Yo La Tengo, The Bangles, those quasi-goth avant gard British alternative types heard on This Mortal Coil's It'll End in Tears (IOW, mostly those who were picked on in high school and so spent their free time playing guitar in a garage). If you haven't heard It'll End in Tears (though you probably have), check it out and you'll find both Kangaroo and Holocaust (Hol. sung by Howard Devoto of Buzzcocks and Magazine fame -- oh the memories) covered. Song of the Siren by Jeff Buckey's dad Tim is covered as well (sung by Elizabeth Frazier of Cocteau Twins). Great album. Anyway, I thought it was cool that "Hanging Out" (a cover of) was used for That '70s Show, though most people didn't/don't know what they are hearing. Too bad neither Chris Bell nor Alex is still around.

Correction, by "Hanging Out" I meant "In The Street" (right song, wrong title)

.....omg I had a Big Star mini poster in my bedroom in high school lol...

I live in New Jersey and never bought a Bruce Springsteen album. Is there something wrong with me ?

Yes. ;) j/k

That first album is so interesting lyrically and vocally. There's nothing else quite like it in rock that I know of. A unique American creation.

Too bad it was making him poor and he felt the need to change his style. Not that Born to Run or Darkness are failures in any sense. i just would have liked to hear more of that "first" sound he created.

OMG....not BRUCE....oh god.....lmao

I swear every time I hear Tommy all I can think is: Holy shit, this is a f-cking good album.

Honestly, I cannot even begin to understand how they wrote something like that. Musically, lyrically... beyond impressive.

• Like 1

I swear every time I hear Tommy all I can think is: Holy shit, this is a f-cking good album.

Honestly, I cannot even begin to understand how they wrote something like that. Musically, lyrically... beyond impressive.

I love Tommy too, but it pales in comparison to Quadrophenia

• Like 2

I love Tommy too, but it pales in comparison to Quadrophenia

Both are amazing. :wub: Such fantastic albums.