the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

QUOTE (J0N @ Jul 27 2012, 10:41 AM)
Aye, there are fans of just about everything on here.

Watched Punk: Attitude today, actually - its a pretty good documentary about the history of punk which mentions Television a few times. Doesn't go into great depth about everything, and skips over some stuff, but as far as music documentaries go its decent.

have you seen we jam econo

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 28 2012, 02:19 AM)
QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 27 2012, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 18 2012, 07:34 PM)
I neck deep into Marquee Moon. Guitars, guitars and guitars!

haha no one here digs punk rock

haha hehe hoho not true

laugh.gif I've always a place for a little punk-rock, be gone presumption! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jul 27 2012, 08:54 PM)

haha hehe hoho not true

laugh.gif I've always a place for a little punk-rock, be gone presumption! trink39.gif

goodpost.gif

Same here. The Clash's London Calling is one of the best albums ever.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 28 2012, 11:32 AM)

haha hehe hoho not true

goodpost.gif

hmm i was under the impression that people just liked dream theater here tongue.gif

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 28 2012, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 28 2012, 11:32 AM)

haha hehe hoho not true

goodpost.gif

hmm i was under the impression that people just liked dream theater here tongue.gif

Wow, no. laugh.gif

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 28 2012, 12:25 PM)
honestly london calling's grown off me over the years, i prefer the clash's first 2 records

To be honest, I haven't listened to the self-titled album or Rope in... God, maybe decades. But, the thing with London Calling is the sense of departure for them from the feel of those first two albums. There's also this awesome element of experimentation on LC. It's one of only a few CDs I own that totally grabs me everytime I listen to it. It's accessible and enjoyable to listen to, but it's actually a very serious album.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 28 2012, 12:31 PM)
honestly london calling's grown off me over the years, i prefer the clash's first 2 records

To be honest, I haven't listened to the self-titled album or Rope in... God, maybe decades. But, the thing with London Calling is the sense of departure for them from the feel of those first two albums. There's also this awesome element of experimentation on LC. It's one of only a few CDs I own that totally grabs me everytime I listen to it. It's accessible and enjoyable to listen to, but it's actually a very serious album.

i have nothing but respect for london calling and it's a really good album but i'm just in the mood for the balls-out approach of their first 2 records way more than i'm in the mood for LC

and i don't really enjoy anything the clash did after LC except for a few songs here and there, sandinista is impossible to get through and combat rock bores me to death. cut the crap isn't even worth mentioning

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 28 2012, 12:35 PM)

i have nothing but respect for london calling and it's a really good album but i'm just in the mood for the balls-out approach of their first 2 records way more than i'm in the mood for LC

and i don't really enjoy anything the clash did after LC except for a few songs here and there, sandinista is impossible to get through and combat rock bores me to death. cut the crap isn't even worth mentioning

Yeah, Cut the Crap might be the most appropriately titled album in history. laugh.gif I have Combat Rock, and it's a sentimental favorite for me. I don't have Sandinista, and I'm not sure I've even heard it.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 28 2012, 12:42 PM)

Yeah, Cut the Crap might be the most appropriately titled album in history. laugh.gif I have Combat Rock, and it's a sentimental favorite for me. I don't have Sandinista, and I'm not sure I've even heard it.

yeah lots of people love combat rock cause it was most normal people's first clash album (normal people as in, people not "in the know" about punk rock) and i like about half the songs but the other half just bores me

sandinista is a triple album where they attempt every musical style known to man, it's boring to me

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 28 2012, 07:05 PM)

yeah lots of people love combat rock cause it was most normal people's first clash album (normal people as in, people not "in the know" about punk rock) and i like about half the songs but the other half just bores me

sandinista is a triple album where they attempt every musical style known to man, it's boring to me

London Calling is faultless, but the debut is The Clash at their punk best. Give Em Enough Rope has great moments.

Combat Rock would have been a fine album to go out on a high with. Straight To Hell is a remarkable track. But no, Joe blotted his copybook with Cut The Crap.

For pure punk thrills I tend to dig out my Buzzcocks, Damned and Undertones records. Ooh, and Stiff Little Fingers.

Those early Fall tapes were pure mayhem too.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 28 2012, 02:31 PM)

London Calling is faultless, but the debut is The Clash at their punk best. Give Em Enough Rope has great moments.

Combat Rock would have been a fine album to go out on a high with. Straight To Hell is a remarkable track. But no, Joe blotted his copybook with Cut The Crap.

For pure punk thrills I tend to dig out my Buzzcocks, Damned and Undertones records. Ooh, and Stiff Little Fingers.

I just got really sad, missing Joe Strummer. sad.gif

buzzcocks and those other bands you mentioned are all great, but my fav punk era was the early 80s SST stuff - black flag, husker du, minutemen, descendents, etc

also like X, wipers, minor threat, plenty of others for 80s punk rock

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 28 2012, 11:09 PM)
London Calling is the greatest rock album of all-time.

You just listened to it, didn't you? biggrin.gif

I listened today, and it still holds a steady place in my top five favorite albums.

btw... the order of my top five changes a lot. But, London Calling changed the way I viewed music from there on out. Even before I got into Rush. yes.gif Gave me "permission" to listen to what I wanted to and to what I thought was worth my while.

I should cut it out with my gushing.

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 29 2012, 01:11 AM)

buzzcocks and those other bands you mentioned are all great, but my fav punk era was the early 80s SST stuff - black flag, husker du, minutemen, descendents, etc

Another SST fan! Pleezedtomeetcha! Those early Husker albums are a blast.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 29 2012, 07:47 AM)
QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 29 2012, 01:11 AM)

Another SST fan! Pleezedtomeetcha! Those early Husker albums are a blast.

Have you read This Band Could Be Your Life? Amazing.

I'm visiting Minneapolis and Milwaukee to see the baseball parks up here, and decided that this would be a good time to listen to some records I haven't yet heard. Yesterday I listened to Amnesiac by Radiohead, and today I listened to Hail to the Thief by Radiohead and Not Your Kind of People by Garbage. I wanted to share my thoughts on these three albums, and see how MOTS responds.

Amnesiac - 9/10. I'm a huge fan of its predecessor/brother album, Kid A, and therefore this one clicked rather easy for a Radiohead album - while still making me want to listen to it more. I think I'm going to try and listen to both albums consecutively one day and see how it works. Oh, and this album's version of "Morning Bell" is interesting... I like how they rearranged it on this record.

Hail to the Thief - 8.5/10. I want to give it a 9 because it's so good on a first listen, but some parts of it aren't all that great. That said, it's got a cool vibe to it. It's definitely a "drop-off" from the three prior albums, though, but those are also three incredible albums. I think I'd still rather listen to it than The Bends, though... call me crazy.

Not Your Kind of People - 7.5/10. Honestly, I didn't like this album that much. Some of the songs were good, but I really don't like Shirley Manson's vocals on this record. Granted, the only real experience I have with this band is their debut (which I absolutely love), and maybe two listens to their second record (which was alright), so I haven't exactly followed her vocal evolution, but part of what I love about her debut is her voice - it's so unique. On this record she sounds, well, normal. That, combined with the "good" songs, make this album somewhat forgettable.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 30 2012, 01:04 PM)
I'm visiting Minneapolis and Milwaukee to see the baseball parks up here, and decided that this would be a good time to listen to some records I haven't yet heard. Yesterday I listened to Amnesiac by Radiohead, and today I listened to Hail to the Thief by Radiohead and Not Your Kind of People by Garbage. I wanted to share my thoughts on these three albums, and see how MOTS responds.

Amnesiac - 9/10. I'm a huge fan of its predecessor/brother album, Kid A, and therefore this one clicked rather easy for a Radiohead album - while still making me want to listen to it more. I think I'm going to try and listen to both albums consecutively one day and see how it works. Oh, and this album's version of "Morning Bell" is interesting... I like how they rearranged it on this record.

Hail to the Thief - 8.5/10. I want to give it a 9 because it's so good on a first listen, but some parts of it aren't all that great. That said, it's got a cool vibe to it. It's definitely a "drop-off" from the three prior albums, though, but those are also three incredible albums. I think I'd still rather listen to it than The Bends, though... call me crazy.

Interesting. I still can't stand KoL btw no.gif

Hail to the Thief 9/10

Amnesiac 8/10

Kid A 8/10