Best Live Band Youve Experienced

tHobbs

Richard Thompson solo at Womadelaide in 2001. Was up close and was totally blown away. Had such a huge smile on my face afterwards. I was a fan before but his short set was incredible, he can do so much with just an acoustic guitar. Seen him twice since.

Sonic Youth in Feb this year were pretty damn good too.

EDIT: never seen Rush live, probably never will as they'll never tour here (Australia).

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Queen -real Queen with Freddie.

Even though I stopped buying Queen records after Jazz, they were still a Killer live band.

Rory Gallagher - his studio material could not compete with his live shows, absolutely blistering.

I'll probably have to go with:

seeing the Allman Brother Band at the Beacon Theater in NYC.

I felt kinda weird for the show like I had been drugged or something. Other than for a couple of beers, the only unusual thing I had to eat/drink was these strange mushrooms a buddy gave me. They didn't taste very good. Anyway, there must have been something in that beer.

Thin Lizzy (Thunder and Lightning tour)

AC/DC with Bon 1979

Slayer 1987 Reign In Pain Tour...without question the best gig I have ever been to. It was just.....mental

If you like over-the-top cheesy theatrics (and I do), it has to be the Trans Siberian Orchestra's annual holidy show. As my kids get older and we are able to get out more, I have rediscovered club rock. I am really into a band called ZO2 just now.

QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ Aug 18 2008, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 18 2008, 05:16 PM)
van halen -1981 -madison square garden

Van Halen....1984 New Haven Coliseum

I was at that show! biggrin.gif trink39.gif

I gotta say though, man, that their performance at the New Haven Colisseum in 1982 blew the 1984 one away. A lot of people who went to both agreed. In 1982 DLR was the coolest person on earth. By 1984, he was getting pretty obnoxious.

Still, GREAT show, but I really think the previous one was significantly better...

It's a tie between Tina Turner's "Wildest Dreams Tour" in Mansfield, MA in July1997 and the Cure's "Wish" tour in Chapel Hill, NC on May 28th, 1992

besides Rush, the 3 concerts that kicked my ass were, Zep in '77, U2 - Joshua Tree '87, and lastly, Pearl Jam at Lollapalooza in '92 was a religious experience.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 19 2008, 09:49 AM)
besides Rush, the 3 concerts that kicked my ass were, Zep in '77, U2 - Joshua Tree '87, and lastly, Pearl Jam at Lollapalooza in '92 was a religious experience.

Wow...

was going to mention U2 in 1987. That was amazing.

I too saw PJ at Lollapalooza in 1992 and it was great.

Too young to have seen the mighty Led Zeppelin though... fists crying.gif

The Kinks- State of Confusion tour

The Who in 1983 'The First Farewell' with Kenny Jones on drums

Van Halen in 1984

Oh yeah, and rising above the rest are the:

22 Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band shows I've seen since 1983. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY gives more of himself than the Boss.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 19 2008, 09:57 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 19 2008, 09:49 AM)

Wow...

was going to mention U2 in 1987. That was amazing.

I too saw PJ at Lollapalooza in 1992 and it was great.

Too young to have seen the mighty Led Zeppelin though... fists crying.gif

yeah I know, I'm getting up there. old.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 19 2008, 11:30 AM)
Van Halen Diver Down tour in 1982. Absolutely fantastic performance. yes.gif

Saw that one the year I graduated high school. Good lord, did I just admit that?

Megadeth in '95. At the height of their powers with Marty Friedman, though Mustaine doesn't give up anything on guitar talent. Corrosion of Conformity opened, they had their excellent album Deliverance out. A good double-whammy of loud, gut-stompin' metal!

U2 Joshua Tree Tour (Giant's Stadium 1986-87)

and I know there's a lot of metallihate on this fourm BUT -

Metallica (MSG 1997)

I never saw a band have a firmer grip on an audience - ever. Maybe because MSG is a small venue compared to stadiums, where one needs binoculars to see the band. Bands seem reachable at MSG and it really makes a difference - does to me, anyway.

Well, naturally my first Yesshow in '94 comes to mind

Then there's the Asia show I saw in '06...Had 3rd row (Howe side) seats for that one...

And lastly, The Musical Box later that same year...It was the closest I'll ever get to a Gabriel era Genesis show!!

This year (last month) would've been the Yesshow to end all Yesshows, had the tour not been cancelled...

QUOTE (Fridge @ Aug 19 2008, 11:11 AM)
AC/DC with Bon 1979

How could I forget about seeing AC/DC with Bon?????????????

Incredible night, even if the support was those arrogant, pathetic deedahs Duff Leper, and even if a crazed Sctosman did get his cock out, have a piss and spin round................

Nearly 30 years ago, and it seems like yesterday, probably the last time that Angus could get away with dressing like a Schoolboy too..........

Iron Maiden on the current tour this summer. That was the most energy I've ever seen at any show I've been to.

I saw Van Halen in Phoenix in 1984. It was my first concert ever. I would agree that DLR was starting to get pretty obnoxious at that point. It was very loud. I could not hear my friends talk to me if it was during a song. I'll never forget the show, but I can't say it was the best concert I've ever seen. I get the feeling that I really missed out on the earlier tours, though.

Archived