Best Live Band Youve Experienced

tHobbs

YES in their prime (the seventies IMO)

Proabably the best gigs I saw were the Wembley Arena ones during the "Going for the One" tour in 1977.

I went to two of them ...would have been more if I had the money !

Review here

http://yesshows.blogspot.com/2008/01/reupl...mbley-1977.html

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peter Gabriel - Security Tour

Memorial Hall - KC, KS Dec 1982

He walked across the chairs on the floor all the way to the back and up to the stage while people were helping him along and he was singing "Lay Your Hands On Me". Amazing.

U2 - War Tour

Memorial Hall - KC, KS June 1983

Bono left the stage and starting walking along the first balcony towards our aisle. Then he turned and start walking up the steps right towards us and as he approach everyone was grabbing him and helping him up the steps. Then he proceeds to start climbing up the support pole for the 2nd balcony that was right behind our seats! We were pushing him from below as he climbed up the pole until he got to the 2nd balcony, sat on the railing and sang a song looking right down on us from above. On his way up the steps he inadvertently grabbed my girlfriend's (now my wife for 21 years) boob. She said playfully... "I'll never wash it again!". LOL biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Aug 18 2008, 05:33 PM)
QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ Aug 18 2008, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 18 2008, 05:16 PM)
van halen -1981 -madison square garden

Van Halen....1984 New Haven Coliseum

Van Halen LIVE - June 29/ 1976..Hollywood CA smile.gif

Van Halen - Meadowlands - 1984

Been to lots of great concerts, but as far as best live act I have witnessed...

U2

There is some kind of intangible mojo working when U2 are onstage with an audience. U2, most especially Bono, emanate a magical charisma that brings the audience energy tightly together to create one being of sorts and then channels that energy to/through U2. The band and the audience transitions and transcends into one entity. It's supernatural yes.gif

Another band the stands out for me as a great live act only because they caught me totally by surprise is The Tragically Hip.

I don't think their studio work is outstanding, but I caught one of their shows a couple of years ago and was totally blown away by their energy and ability to sustain incredible seemingly spontaneous jams. That band of musicians not only entertained, but somehow wrapped themselves around the audience and pulled us into their universe for a couple of hours. amazing.

For me, it's Green Day at the Gwinnett Arena outside of Atlanta on August 1, 2009. The band was on fire, the sound was excellent, and the setlist was great. If only I had known all of their music then...

Just a few that immediately came to mind...

Queen - Joe Louis Arena - Detroit, Michigan - 1980 - The Game Tour

Kiss - War Memorial - Syracuse, New York - 1976 - Sprit of '76 Tour

The Who - Carrier Dome - Syracuse, New York - 1982 - Who's Last Tour

Bob Dylan - Madison Square Garden - 1986 - With the Heartbreakers as his backing band.

Def Leppard - Beacon Theater - New York - April 2003 - X Tour

Alice Cooper - Paramont Theater - Asbury Park, NJ - October 2000 - Brutal Planet Tour

David Bowie - MSG - New York - 1983 - Serious Moonlight Tour

Bruce Springsteen - Brenden Byrne Arena - New Jersey - 1984 - Born in the USA Tour

The Alarm - Beacon Theater - NYC - 1988 - Eye of the Hurrcane Tour

REO Speedwagon! Year.. don't remember. 2007 or something? It was here in Omaha; 4th of July concert. They came with Three Dog Night; that's all I recall. Blah.

..Aside from the fact that they were freaking amazing!!! REO was the first really, really fantastic concert that I ever went to. I was already a big fan before, but it was such a thrill to see them live. Of course, didn't compare to Rush by a mile, but they were great and I'd love to see them again.

"Ridin' the Storm Out"... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I have been to hundreds of concerts over my lifetime. So to narrow it down to a particular show is way too difficult.

But here are some of the bands I have seen that have blown me away live other than Rush.

1) Porcupine Tree

2) Radiohead

3) Live

4) Pink Floyd (1994)

5) The Black Crowes

6) Candlebox (these guys are amazing live circa Into the Sun tour)

7) Queensryche

8) Iron Maiden

9) U2

10) Plant and Page (1994)

11) The Who (1989)

12 Van Halen (1986 with Hagar)

13) Pearl Jam (1991)

14) Incubus

15) Dio (1985 with the giant dragon and castle)

I have not had a chance to see Muse who have not been to South Florida other than a support act some time back. I am dying to see them!!!

Like I said too many to list.

I've been to over 160 shows, and these are the ones that stood out for me.

David Bowie - Reality Tour (17Apr2004) - Incredible setlist of hits with rarities, this show jumpstarted my being a fan of Bowie. Plus he had a heart attack not 2 months following the show and has never toured again so I made my first and only chance to see him.

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth Pretour (25Mar2005) - Went to see Nine Inch Nails for the 2nd and 3rd shows they played after 5 years of absence. Both were tiny places (~1500) people, but the show on the 25th was GA and intense as hell. Great concert and everyone was just excited to see them again. Honerable mentions to the With Teeth arena tour later that year and the Lights In The Sky tour in 2008.

Britt Daniel - NoisePop 2006 (29Mar2006) - The Spoon front man played a solo show to a tiny tiny crowd (~500 people) and I got to be front row. Great intimate show with tons of older Spoon songs that dont get played live anymore as well as a couple non-album tracks.

Depeche Mode - Playing The Angel Tour (18Nov2005) - Great setlist with some older songs they haven't played in a long long time and I got to sit 4th row. The only thing better would have been getting to see them in 1988, but they were still great and put on an amazing show.

Roger Waters - The Wall Tour (03Dec2010) - It's Roger Waters doing the Wall, what else can I say. One of the greatest production set up for a show I have ever seen. Flying pigs, exploding planes, giant balloon teachers, a school choir, fireworks, and the wall itself as a giant LCD screen.

Radiohead - Warmup Tour (24Jun2006) - They played a small warmup tour a year before releasing In Rainbows where they debuted tons of songs that eventually were put on the album. I went to both nights they played here, but night #2 had the better setlist and crowd.

----

There have been tons of other great shows, but these are the exceptional ones that stood out in my mind.

MR Bungle 1991/2 era

Ive never seen anything like it before or since

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Aug 19 2008, 07:55 AM)
I'll probably have to go with:

seeing the Allman Brother Band at the Beacon Theater in NYC.

I felt kinda weird for the show like I had been drugged or something. Other than for a couple of beers, the only unusual thing I had to eat/drink was these strange mushrooms a buddy gave me. They didn't taste very good. Anyway, there must have been something in that beer.

which brother was it? huh.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Feb 22 2011, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Aug 19 2008, 07:55 AM)
I'll probably have to go with:

seeing the Allman Brother Band at the Beacon Theater in NYC. 

I felt kinda weird for the show like I had been drugged or something.  Other than for a couple of beers, the only unusual thing I had to eat/drink was these strange mushrooms a buddy gave me.  They didn't taste very good.  Anyway, there must have been something in that beer.

which brother was it? huh.gif

It was obviously Gregg as Duane is no longer with us. trink39.gif

David Lee Roth on his first solo tour with Sheehan and Vai, mostly because it was my first rock concert ever! smile.gif

Archived