Best Live Band Youve Experienced

tHobbs

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 5 2008, 05:47 AM)
QUOTE (King Troll @ Aug 19 2008, 08:46 AM)
Queen -real Queen with Freddie.

Even though I stopped buying Queen records after Jazz, they were still a Killer live band.

Rory Gallagher - his studio material could not compete with his live shows, absolutely blistering.

notworthy.gif Another Rory fan!!! And Willow is a fan too! When and where did you see him live?

My gigs of a lifetime:

Neil Young & Booker T & the MG's/Pearl Jam - Slane Castle 1993

Yes - Full Circle Tour - 2003 - Vicar Street Dublin - 1,000 people packed to the rafters, singing Happy Birthday to Alan White's mother who was in the audience. First time I'd heard Show Me too.

Mozaik - Westport - 2005 - crazy show, in a church of all places. Sound was incredible.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Liverpool - 2007

Genesis - Berlin & Leipzig - 2007 - an exercise in how to pull off a stadium show perfectly.

I only got to see Rory a couple of times.

Firstly when he headlined Reading Festival in 1980, I was a full on Metalhead at the time, but Rory just blew me away, such energy, such passion

The second time was at Birmingham University in 1982, I was down the front against the stage for that one, and I don't think I have ever sweat so much in my life

I have seen so many concerts since I was a young teen in the 70's that it would be hard to pick even a few of the best. I will just mention a few memorable ones. KISS on the hot in the shade tour, Red Rocks Colorado. It was pouring down rain, hard to believe they didn't cancel the show. The sound even cut out a few times on one side of the stage and while they were getting it back up Paul Stanley was playing some Zeppelin riffs to entertain the crowd. There was a great real lightning show going on right over the top of the stage and the fog made the laser show so much cooler, just an awesome show even for the unmasked years. Interesting that a little foul weather earlier this year caused Rush to postpone a show at the same venue, but KISS (who I thought would be real prima donnas about it) played in a torrential rain storm....things that make you go hmmmmm.

Stevie Ray Vauhgan, Red rocks summer 1989. Awesome as always, sadly gone a year later. I also had the privalege of meeting him earlier that day at an instore appearance at the record store I worked at. One of the nicest most genuine people I have ever met.

Ozzy Osbourne, CU events center, early 1982. A snowstorm caused the trucks carrying all the stage props etc. to be AWOL. The show went on and it was still amazing even without all the effects. Randy Rhoads died a short time later.

I've seen AC/DC and Aerosmith many times, always great.

A few notables:

Kiss (Creatures tour) w/ Motley Crue opening (pre-Shout At The Devil)

U2 (Joshua Tree tour)

Van Halen (last year's reunion...oh the energy)

Iron Maiden (Powerslave tour in early 85)

Kiss Reunion Tour (Dallas, 3rd date in '96)-a dream come true

QUOTE (King Troll @ Sep 5 2008, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 5 2008, 05:47 AM)
QUOTE (King Troll @ Aug 19 2008, 08:46 AM)
Queen -real Queen with Freddie.

Even though I stopped buying Queen records after Jazz, they were still a Killer live band.

Rory Gallagher - his studio material could not compete with his live shows, absolutely blistering.

notworthy.gif Another Rory fan!!! And Willow is a fan too! When and where did you see him live?

My gigs of a lifetime:

Neil Young & Booker T & the MG's/Pearl Jam - Slane Castle 1993

Yes - Full Circle Tour - 2003 - Vicar Street Dublin - 1,000 people packed to the rafters, singing Happy Birthday to Alan White's mother who was in the audience. First time I'd heard Show Me too.

Mozaik - Westport - 2005 - crazy show, in a church of all places. Sound was incredible.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Liverpool - 2007

Genesis - Berlin & Leipzig - 2007 - an exercise in how to pull off a stadium show perfectly.

I only got to see Rory a couple of times.

Firstly when he headlined Reading Festival in 1980, I was a full on Metalhead at the time, but Rory just blew me away, such energy, such passion

The second time was at Birmingham University in 1982, I was down the front against the stage for that one, and I don't think I have ever sweat so much in my life

Front row and sweaty at a Rory gig. It doesn't get much better than that! Thanks for sharing.

I've seen some sweet concerts. Sonata Arctica was amazing, Darkest Hour was awesome, Shai Hulud was sweet. James Taylor puts on a great concert. Probably the best live band i've experienced besides rush would be...possibly Coheed or possibly Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. i dont know. its really hard

Dave Matthews Band -- believe it or not! Though idk if it will be the same without LeRoi.

The Police -- like Rush, proving age doesn't hold anything back.

311 -- very amazing!!!

I never thought small venues with not too good sound (ive been spoiled by the likes of Rush and Deep Purple tongue.gif ) would produce a good live show but Ash flipping rocked out the Astoria in London BIG TIME. I was at the front and I got pinned to the railing for the whole time but it was soooo worth it. laugh.gif They got marched on for the first encore by some Star Wars Stormtroopers rofl3.gif

Rammstein - Cardiff UK 2005

Yes - Wembley Arena UK 1977

Genesis - Knebworth Festival 1978

Gillan - Reading festival 1980

Peter Gabriel - Reading festival 1979

Rush - Wembley Arena UK 1981

Muse - Eden Project UK 2006

Cheap Trick - Reading festival 1979

Rory Gallagher - Reading festival 1980

Iron Maiden - Reading festival 1980

To name a few.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Rammstein-flamethrowers.jpg

for sheer entertainment value NOBODY betters the mighty rammstein,

ive seen them 4 times but the best show was on the mutter tour.

musically marillion were note perfect(fish era)

spice girls. the 13 year old in me could've died happy that night. was a great show.

other than that, i'd say fleetwood mac. or any time i've seen lindsey buckingham. or the time i saw stevie nicks and was front row and she touched my hand.

<--- fangirl laugh.gif

With the announcement of Yes touring with a new vocalist, meaning that it's likely that I'll be seeing them, I expect Yes to be in the list.

Blue Oyster Cult - New Year's Eve 1980, Memphis (BOC rang in the new year with Don't Fear the Reaper).

Hank Williams Jr. - Starkville, Miss., 1982 (Hank Jr. was hitting his peak musically, and anytime he performs it's one big party. To top it off, I got left behind by the people I rode with to the show. Had to catch a ride home with a highway patrolman).

Rolling Stones - Memphis, 1999 (I found a clip from that performance on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ihq7Ee4QHc)

Judas Priest and Black Sabbath back-to-back - Ozzfest 2004 in Nashville.

QUOTE (Eppers @ Sep 16 2008, 11:42 AM)
Slayer.
Just wow!

Yeah , I saw slayer in 89 - and they tore it up . Unreal the energy they had back then . The whole mood , scenery , imagery etc . I have never seen a band live that touched the realm of mighty slayer in their hey day . trink39.gif

Van Halen 1980 Omaha, Alex set his drum set on fire!

The Who 1982 Orlando Tangerine (now Citrus) bowl-B52's opened and sucked

Yes- Orlando in the round early 90's-one of the best shows.

U2 St. Patrick's day in Denver 1985 Unforgettable Fire tour- this was in between Red Rocks in 83 and Live Aide the following summer of 85-excellent show.

Pink Floyd Tampa 1987- they flew the pig above the stadium and blew it up!

U2 Tampa stadium in December 1987- great show, freezing cold!

Stevie Ray Vaughn 1988 at the county fair, he tore it up!

Big Head Todd and the Monsters Orlando House of Blues Jan 08. got to see the sound check and meet the band!!

Allman Brothers Band- jammed for three hours in early 90's at the county fair.

QUOTE (peartsbeemer @ Sep 17 2008, 08:58 PM)

U2 St. Patrick's day in Denver 1985 Unforgettable Fire tour- this was in between Red Rocks in 83 and Live Aide the following summer of 85-excellent show.

Big Head Todd and the Monsters Orlando House of Blues Jan 08. got to see the sound check and meet the band!!

I was at the Floyd show and the U2 show in Tampa. Floyd was awesome of course. One of the main things I remember was that sax player with the ridiculous blonde mullet. I remember Buckwheat Zydeco was one of the opening acts for U2, what was the other one? I can't remember trink39.gif cool10.gif trink39.gif cool10.gif trink39.gif cool10.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Sep 14 2008, 12:22 AM)
other than that, i'd say fleetwood mac. or any time i've seen lindsey buckingham. or the time i saw stevie nicks and was front row and she touched my hand.

<--- fangirl laugh.gif

Totally. Would've killed to see FM on the Mirage tour or Stevie on the Belladonna tour, judging by the videos, man oh man!! ohmy.gif Damn it, too young again sad.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 17 2008, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (peartsbeemer @ Sep 17 2008, 08:58 PM)

I was at the Floyd show and the U2 show in Tampa. Floyd was awesome of course. One of the main things I remember was that sax player with the ridiculous blonde mullet. I remember Buckwheat Zydeco was one of the opening acts for U2, what was the other one? I can't remember trink39.gif cool10.gif trink39.gif cool10.gif trink39.gif cool10.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

I want to say it was Los Lobos. I remember them being pretty good. It was dang cold that night, we were up high in the opposite end zone from the stage, the windchill was terrible. we snuck in plenty of shnaaps to keep warm. Great show though.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 18 2008, 08:14 PM)
The Charlie Daniels Band - October 13, 2007 ohmy.gif

Then again, the only live bands I've seen are Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels twice, Kenny Rogers, several artists at the Grand Ole Opry including Rodney Atkins and Trace Adkins, and Rush 3 times. If I'd seen Yes this year, I know they would have been on top.

Now that Yes are touring, I expect them to take the top spot. 1022.gif

Archived