Best Live Band Youve Experienced

tHobbs

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well AC/DC with Bon in Jan '80 lives in the memory. The Mayfair (Newcastle) was 'rammed', and the support was Diamond Head. Fabulous show!

Van Halen '79 at the City Hall - that was madness. I've never seen so much PA and cables in a small venue. Absolutely deafening.

Slade -early eighties. Belting night.

Manic Street Preachers, City Hall '04.

As a kid i had always wanted to see KISS. Got the chance last night to see their ALIVE 35 show, which was them playing that live collection just about in its entirety.

Highlights were "She", "Deuce", "Strutter", "Parasite" and of course "Rock n Roll All Nite (Where did they get all that confetti?). They had all their classic schtick going on, including the fire, Gene's boot stomping and tongue wagging, Paul's ass-shaking and the classic Ace Fireworks-from-the-guitar thing (though he himself wasn't in the suit).

The long, drawn out guitar solo stuff got a bit old, and actually put my daughter to sleep. I can now say I've seen KISS...wouldn't go a second time, though.

Grand Funk Railroad at the Clark County Fair in 2003

I picked that one because everyone was happy, a lot of singing and dancing in the audience, including me!

That made the band happy (I was only a few rows back) therefore made us happy, etc. Lots of positive energy.

What was weird about it though was when everyone would sit down during the slow songs. Never saw that at a concert before.

Even though I wasn't born in the '70s, I'm sure anyone who saw Skynyrd in the '70s with Ronnie and Steve had to be at a great show. yes.gif

Rush - Quebec City earlier this year, saw them front row right in front of Geddy and it was the most life-changing, deafening, ego-defying, eyes-swelling jolly good time i've ever had EVER.

Nothing will ever top that.

Honourable mentions:

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Last december in Paris, EXCELLENT show. No Surrender was unbelievable.

The Rolling Stones - Moncton 05' Great show, front row right between Ronnie and Mick. I didn't know what to expect because most people would say the stones are way past their prime but Keith didn't look or sound a day over 60 at this show and the band totally blew me away!

I saw them in Halifax the year after and that was a terrible concert, Keith was off-beat; looked and sounded drunk and high on drugs and the rain was POURING down on the band and crowd; Mick played it off cool and gave us a good concert but they played a lame 17 songs and didn't play Monkey Man or She's a Rainbow (Do they ever play this)..

Radiohead - Montreal August 6th 2008': My first time seeing the mighty Radiohead and they brought me up from my feet and descended me upon the heavens for 2 and a half hours, pure bliss. They didn't play some of my favourite songs and I would've liked more songs from Hail to the Thief but I got Fake Plastic Trees, Morning Bell, The Gloaming and There There so I was pretty content.

GREAT band live, if you get the chance go see them.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Toronto right after Living With War came out and it was a blistering show, Neil was totally on the ball and didn't seem to show his hatred for Stephen that much and they even jammed for a bit during the middle of Hollywood and Ohio.

Best smaller shows i've seen:

Death From Above 1979 - 2005 I believe. I saw them at a tiny venue here in Halifax called the Pavilion that can hold up to 300 people and they had 400+ crammed in that tiny room and the rooms were sweaty, the PA was double was it usually was/should've been and the pot smoke was flowing steadily over the course of that night.

They were a truly great band live when they were around, the drummer wasn't as good as the bassist/synthesist but they put on a totally great show and blew me away.

Best 10$ i've ever spent ever.

Shiny Toy Guns - Late 2006/Early 2007: I saw them in the same venue as DFA1979 and I instantly feel in love with the singer of this band, such a beautiful person and her voice was like an angels.

I'm 17 and i've seen alot of concerts during my short lifetime (70+, more even) and i've seen my favourite band a handful of times and i've been taught so much about being myself through the power of music.

In all, Rush is the best band i've seen because I had an emotional and spiritual connection with the music i've never had with any other band and I am grateful for Rush and all they provide us with.

As I've said in many other threads, Yes, In the Round, Chicago Amphetheater, 77? 78?...Best show I ever saw from any band. Alan White was on fire. Jon was very on. It was Yes in their prime imo.

Pink Floyd, Animals tour. What a trip that was!

Scorpions, Queen, Genesis, Kansas, Heart, Styx, Supertramp, Blue Oyster Cult, Bad Company, Moody Blues, AC/DC, Aerosmith, UFO...just some of the other shows from the late 70s that will be in my memory forever.

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Sep 1 2008, 12:26 AM)
As I've said in many other threads, Yes, In the Round, Chicago Amphetheater, 77? 78?...Best show I ever saw from any band. Alan White was on fire. Jon was very on. It was Yes in their prime imo.

Scorpions, Queen, Genesis, Kansas, Heart, Styx, Supertramp, Blue Oyster Cult, Bad Company, Moody Blues, AC/DC, Aerosmith, UFO...just some of the other shows from the late 70s that will be in my memory forever.

I'm so jealous of all of those concerts!!!

Genesis: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour.

Pat Metheny 1997: the Imaginary Day tour.

Radiohead.

The Keith Jarrett Trio.

Billy Joel (May 6, 2007) - The absolute best concert ever. I was in the sixth row, and the atmosphere was inspirational all around me. He really interacted with everyone and played a pretty huge setlist. I have never felt anything like that since. When the lights dimmed and he played the first, pulse-pounding notes to 'Angry Young Man' I almost had a heart attack.

Awesome.

Megadeth (February 24, 2007) - Deth were opening with Down for Heaven & Hell or Black Sabbath or whatever. While the other two bands were great, Megadeth absolutely killed that night. Ripping up one song right after the other and they just really seemed in sync. Great performance.

Rush are top of the list...but Neil Finn also impressed so much when we saw him Live a few years ago. Rory Gallagher back probably 20 years ago now was ROCKIN' too....as was AC/DC...back in the Bon days..

QUOTE (arctangent @ Sep 1 2008, 02:48 AM)
nin (hoping they will come to europe with their latest tour), tool, pearl jam, ministry, therapy, marillion, interpol, isis, manic street preachers, neurosis, fear factory, black sabbath, queen, metallica, muse, pink floyd, anthrax, ac/dc...

Fish-era Marillion? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (limeloaf @ Sep 1 2008, 12:27 AM)
QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Sep 1 2008, 12:26 AM)

I'm so jealous of all of those concerts!!!

Yeah, it was quite a run. But my sense hearing is paying the price these days for sure.

I just saw Sabbath in another response...YES! Add them to my list too!

I was lucky to have parents that just let me go to all these shows while in my teens. I don't know if I'd let my kids do that these days.

Rush is always my favorite live band, but aside from them, some of my other favorites are:

1. Metallica - nobody can rock you harder than these guys. Music you can feel in your bones. Going to see them in Portland and Seattle this fall. Please send me a hearing aid for Christmas.

2. Judas Priest - Glen Tipton and KK Downing. Need I say more?

3. Iron Maiden - Adrian Smith and Dave Murray. See end of #2.

4. Pearl Jam - put on a great show without any elaborate stage show. These guys are excellent musicians.

5. AC/DC - Angus is a one-man wrecking crew. Can't wait to see them later this year.

Since 1986 I've seen around 200 bands. Besides Rush, the ones that really stand out for their stage presence, clarity of sound, and live energy would be:

Van Halen (with Sammy)

Sepultura (with Max)

Anthrax (with Joey)

Iron Maiden

Black Sabbath (with Ozzy)

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Obituary (shockingly good live)

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Sep 2 2008, 04:42 PM)
Since 1986 I've seen around 200 bands. Besides Rush, the ones that really stand out for their stage presence, clarity of sound, and live energy would be:

Van Halen (with Sammy)
Sepultura (with Max)
Anthrax (with Joey)
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath (with Ozzy)
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Van Halen (with Sammy) 062802puke_prv.gif

Sepultura (with Max)

Anthrax (with Joey)

Iron Maiden

Black Sabbath (with Ozzy) 1022.gif

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Genesis...Knebworth 1978 ...My first gig , and what a starter.

Thin Lizzy...Black Rose tour

Marillion...Early eighties in a pub (got ratted with the afrerwards)

AC/DC....If You Want Blood tour

Led Zeppelin...Knebworth 1979

Rush...Stafford 1979

Neil Young .. 08 ...Best form ever.!

Greg Lake....1980/2005

Roger Hodgson ..Manchester 2007 (what a reception,the crowd wre amazing)

VDGG...2007

Sabbath...78 , Never Say Die tour with Van Hallen supporting

Motorhead...Bomber tour

QUOTE (King Troll @ Aug 19 2008, 08:46 AM)
Queen -real Queen with Freddie.

Even though I stopped buying Queen records after Jazz, they were still a Killer live band.

Rory Gallagher - his studio material could not compete with his live shows, absolutely blistering.

notworthy.gif Another Rory fan!!! And Willow is a fan too! When and where did you see him live?

My gigs of a lifetime:

Neil Young & Booker T & the MG's/Pearl Jam - Slane Castle 1993

Yes - Full Circle Tour - 2003 - Vicar Street Dublin - 1,000 people packed to the rafters, singing Happy Birthday to Alan White's mother who was in the audience. First time I'd heard Show Me too.

Mozaik - Westport - 2005 - crazy show, in a church of all places. Sound was incredible.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Liverpool - 2007

Genesis - Berlin & Leipzig - 2007 - an exercise in how to pull off a stadium show perfectly.

Archived