Yanks' payroll soars as MLB average falls

Indica

Manny Ramirez and Alex Rodriguez both damn near make as much as the whole team of Milwaukee Brewers. To win in baseball it helps to just buy the wins. Compare the Brewers wins every season against the Yanks or Red soxs.

Do you still think this is overblown? The proof is in the numbers. It doesn't take a mathematician either.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/sa...alary-chart.htm

If you look at the Guaranteed future MLB salaries over the next 5 years, the yanks are 10 times higher than the average team. The yanks Guaranteed future MLB salary is OVER 1/6th of all of baseball.

Out of the $2.8 billion future MLB salaries over the next 5 years, the yankees are $566.7 million of that. That is well over 1/6 of all of baseball.

This problem is overblown?

I bet the Yankees are in the playoffs every year in the next 5 years, I bet they win the world series at LEAST two times in that time. I would also bet that the Brewers won't make the playoffs one time in the next 5 years and they will be lucky to go 500% in any of those years.

Just a hunch.

What was the Florida Marlins' team salary when they beat the high priced Yankees two years ago? Less than half? How about the Anaheim Angels the year before that? Money doesn't always buy you championships....sometimes all it takes is luck, one clutch hitter and a good pitching staff.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 11 2005, 10:09 AM)
What was the Florida Marlins' team salary when they beat the high priced Yankees two years ago? Less than half? How about the Anaheim Angels the year before that? Money doesn't always buy you championships....sometimes all it takes is luck, one clutch hitter and a good pitching staff.

No one said money always buys championships. The yankees go to the playoffs every damn year. Some teams never go to the playoffs. Look at how many world series the yankees won in the last 100 years. They won't win every year, I don't think baseball will allow that, but it doesn't take a genius to see that the yankees buy wins every season. Just because their payroll is way over double the average doesn't guarantee a win every year but look at their history, it's not fair at all to the smaller cities. I think it ruins baseball.

I'm amazed that anyone argues that this isn't a problem. It's not overblown at all. If anything, not enough people bitch and complain and stop going to baseball games all together until they make it more fair for all teams.

The New York Yankees have appeared in the World Series 39 times, winning 26 of them. This is a reflexion of it's payroll. Do they win the world series every year? No, the league won't allow that. Something needs to be done.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 11 2005, 10:13 AM)
Problem is when you pay your players like hell, the fans EXPECT you to win... the pressure is always there and then you have a good chance of blowing it...

Find the right balance...

The Yankees do win.

The New York Yankees have appeared in the World Series 39 times, winning 26 of them. They have won 1 out of 4 world series, they have been there 4 out of every 10 times. Theres 30 teams, so on average, a team should go to 6 world series in 100 years, the yankees went to 39. You don't need a calculator to understand this. NO fan can expect anything more than that.

The Yankees win more because they are in a bigger city and because they have more money than anyone else. That's plain and simple and I don't think anyone can argue this fact. If they do, then they must like to argue while being dead wrong.

The Marlins winning a world series a couple years ago doesn't debunk anything. This is almost like arguing that blue is green.

The Yankees start every season with a huge unfair advantage. It's like a backyard football game and one team getting to pick the first 5 guys before the other team gets their first pick, who's going to win that game most of the time? The Yanks are stacked every year. Right now, check out the Vegas odds on who's the favorite to win the next world series, take a guess who the favorite is, why do you think that is? Because the doods in vegas are all Yankees fans? Yeah, OK. This isn't rocket science here.

The Yankees are less than 2-1 Odds already. LOL..........The Red Sox, who won last year is only 6-1 odds. LOL......... Vegas isn't stupid, they know that having the largest payroll makes a hell of a difference, if not they wouldn't be a dead favorite over the team who won last year. It's like this every year though, not just this season.

They play in a city of over 7,000,000 people, they have money, that's why they win so much. PERIOD.

The numbers don't lie. 8/5 odds for them to win the world series, that's like 1 1/2 -1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 11 2005, 11:58 AM)
Yankees do win, but I'd expect them to win more with those odds.

I'm with you there. It seems like the fans would grow immune to winning so much after a while. It's like, horrray horray we won another world series, bravo bravo, big whoop, we sure showed all those other small shitty cities who has more people to buy tickets, whooohoooo, we are the best, yippie, Whooty shit, whooohooo. <FART>

It's also possible that I'm just salty because my team is 200/1 odds to win the world series and only the Brewers and the expansion team has worse odds. lol

But, Nope I can't change teams. I don't have it in me to ever do that, I guess I'd rather bitch about how unfair it is. laugh.gif

I'm definitely not a fan of the Yankees but there is a CBA in place and they pay luxury taxes so they can pay all they want. As long as they don't win championships who cares? They haven't won since 2000. It's all decided on the field anyways. When the bigwigs overspend there is money going to the other teams from the luxury taxes. It's not a perfect system but it is better than the way it was before the last CBA. There is no way a salary cap is ever going to be implemented so this is the best way to do it. Besides it just makes me cheer even more against the Yanks. 1287.gif

Surely the Mets have proven that spending money in and of itself isn't how championships are won. The Yanks won their titles in the late 90s with a strong home grown nucleus, not a group of overpaid mercenaries. Their advantage is that they can keep their home grown talent. But we've had this discussion before. The A's have competed every year because they do a great job finding the talent at the farm level. They do not spend much more than the other cheap teams. A good front office is the cheapest way to win.

The Yankees still have problems. The starting pitchers are still pretty old, and if Rivera starts to lose it, the bullpen becomes very suspect.

Yeah, the mets payroll was about 1/2 of what the yankees was last season. Higher than the average but nothing like the yanks.

The yanks payroll last season was more than the Expos, Indians, Pirates, Devil rays, Brewers added together, plus 20 million added on top of that. When was the last time any of those teams won a world series? The answer is, the Indians in 1995, back when they had a payroll that was higher than it is now.

Don't just look at the world series winners, look at the big picture. Take a look at the playoffs last season. Out of 30 teams.........

Yankees #1 payroll

Boston #2 payroll

Angels #3 payroll

Dodgers #6 payroll

Braves #8 payroll

Cardinals #9 payroll

Store bought teams don't always win, but....................

The other thing we haven't mentioned yet is that the league definitely overexpanded in the 90s. One big reason was to collect the huge franchise fee. So if that was the top priority, then problems ensue. Expansion teams get cut out of the TV revenues for the first few years. This killed the D-Backs. They couldn't afford to keep their team. So now they really suck.

Also, I will say that Yankee fans demand excellence from their team, more so than other markets. When they sucked in the late 80s and early 90s, they didn't draw as much, and they didn't make as much money. When they excelled in the late 90s, they made huge money. If a ballplayer signs a huge contract to play in the Bronx, there are a lot of expectations that come with that contract. The fans will remind that ballplayer every time he comes to bat if he's not earning his money. This phenomenon is not as pronounced in other ballparks. The Yankees have to pay a premium to get people to play for them. Maddux signed with the Braves for less money after leaving the Cubs in the early 90s, turning down the big Yankee contract. Vlad didn't even want to talk to the Yanks when he was a free agent last year. It takes a certain type of player to thrive in New York. Not as many are willing to try that, and it will take more money to convince players to want to give it a try. So I postulate here that New York teams are forced to pay top dollar to attract players.

To those of you who are still distraught about big money in baseball, read Money Ball if you haven't, already. It talks about Billy Beane, the A's GM, and how he competes consistently on a shoestring budget every year. The book also said that studies have shown that the best way to draw fans to the park is to win. The Brewers suck, and they can't draw fans anymore. It's a vicious cycle. Look at the Tribe now. They're going about rebuilding their team the right way, by developing players in their farm system. They are going to have a good nucleus for a number of years now. They will compete, at least in their division, though it is a weak division. They probably won't duplicate the success of their 90s teams, but they should do reasonably well. They signed a couple of free agents, but they have developed a good number of players, and they showed a preview of things to come last year. The Mets can shower players with money every year, but they'll still finish in third or fourth place in that division. They have a lot of things to figure out before they compete like they did in the mid to late 80s.

QUOTE (Indica @ Feb 11 2005, 10:18 PM)
Yeah, the mets payroll was about 1/2 of what the yankees was last season. Higher than the average but nothing like the yanks.

The yanks payroll last season was more than the Expos, Indians, Pirates, Devil rays, Brewers added together, plus 20 million added on top of that. When was the last time any of those teams won a world series? The answer is, the Indians in 1995, back when they had a payroll that was higher than it is now.

Don't just look at the world series winners, look at the big picture. Take a look at the playoffs last season. Out of 30 teams.........

Yankees #1 payroll
Boston #2 payroll
Angels #3 payroll
Dodgers #6 payroll
Braves #8 payroll
Cardinals #9 payroll

I understand what u r saying Indy but would like to point out Indians didn't win the World Series in '95 but they lost to Braves...which I guess helps boost your point laugh.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 12 2005, 01:32 AM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Feb 11 2005, 10:18 PM)

Yankees #1 payroll
Boston #2 payroll
Angels #3 payroll
Dodgers #6 payroll
Braves #8 payroll
Cardinals #9 payroll

I understand what u r saying Indy but would like to point out Indians didn't win the World Series in '95 but they lost to Braves...which I guess helps boost your point laugh.gif

lol, thanks, I don't know what I was thinking there. I have so many stats on the top of my head I sometimes throw a wrong one out there. I even remember that Jimmy Carter threw out the 1st pitch in game 6 in Atlanta that year. What a geek I am.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Feb 11 2005, 11:43 PM)
The other thing we haven't mentioned yet is that the league definitely overexpanded in the 90s. One big reason was to collect the huge franchise fee. So if that was the top priority, then problems ensue. Expansion teams get cut out of the TV revenues for the first few years. This killed the D-Backs. They couldn't afford to keep their team. So now they really suck.

Also, I will say that Yankee fans demand excellence from their team, more so than other markets. When they sucked in the late 80s and early 90s, they didn't draw as much, and they didn't make as much money. When they excelled in the late 90s, they made huge money. If a ballplayer signs a huge contract to play in the Bronx, there are a lot of expectations that come with that contract. The fans will remind that ballplayer every time he comes to bat if he's not earning his money. This phenomenon is not as pronounced in other ballparks. The Yankees have to pay a premium to get people to play for them. Maddux signed with the Braves for less money after leaving the Cubs in the early 90s, turning down the big Yankee contract. Vlad didn't even want to talk to the Yanks when he was a free agent last year. It takes a certain type of player to thrive in New York. Not as many are willing to try that, and it will take more money to convince players to want to give it a try. So I postulate here that New York teams are forced to pay top dollar to attract players.

To those of you who are still distraught about big money in baseball, read Money Ball if you haven't, already. It talks about Billy Beane, the A's GM, and how he competes consistently on a shoestring budget every year. The book also said that studies have shown that the best way to draw fans to the park is to win. The Brewers suck, and they can't draw fans anymore. It's a vicious cycle. Look at the Tribe now. They're going about rebuilding their team the right way, by developing players in their farm system. They are going to have a good nucleus for a number of years now. They will compete, at least in their division, though it is a weak division. They probably won't duplicate the success of their 90s teams, but they should do reasonably well. They signed a couple of free agents, but they have developed a good number of players, and they showed a preview of things to come last year. The Mets can shower players with money every year, but they'll still finish in third or fourth place in that division. They have a lot of things to figure out before they compete like they did in the mid to late 80s.

Good point. I go to a few Yankees game every year the last few years so I'm actually supporting the very same thing I'm bitching about.

"It's hard to lay blame To fight the fire while we're feeding the flames".

It ought to be second nature.................

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Feb 13 2005, 11:48 AM)
The Indians have the 4th best starting pitching staff in the American League. 1022.gif

Well maybe the Tribe is going to be better than I thought. Is Sabbathia going to be healthy?

QUOTE (anagramking @ Feb 13 2005, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Feb 13 2005, 11:48 AM)
The Indians have the 4th best starting pitching staff in the American League. 1022.gif

Well maybe the Tribe is going to be better than I thought. Is Sabbathia going to be healthy?

I hope so. He has sort of struggled since his rookie year, but I hope he will be able to bounce back and pitch the way that he used to. Don't get me wrong though. He had some great games last year with some excellent performances. I just think he could do a little better with his personal fitness. If he could get a little more in shape, it would really improve his pitching and would raise his stamina, making him go 8 innings instead of 7. I also think the Tribe will do excellent this year. They have a young ballclub and are trying to rebuild what they had during the 95, 96, 97 era with Ramirez, Thome, Vizquel and all of the other amazing players that were on the team during those great years. Let's hope for the best. yes.gif trink39.gif

Archived