What Musical KICK are you currently ON?

moltenlava

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 11 2008, 07:08 PM)

Right now the only "kick" I'm on is... I've really been loving U2's "The Unforgettable Fire"! Not a technically challenging record or even an "upbeat" record, but it sets such a mood. There's a lot of feel on that album and it's such a work of art!

Great album. yes.gif

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 12 2008, 12:17 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 11 2008, 07:08 PM)

Right now the only "kick" I'm on is... I've really been loving U2's "The Unforgettable Fire"!  Not a technically challenging record or even an "upbeat" record, but it sets such a mood.  There's a lot of feel on that album and it's such a work of art!

Great album. yes.gif

Thanks to Eno and Lanois! yes.gif

Man, I got this album the day it was released. It was a major disappointment. I hated it. I was wrong.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 11 2008, 10:36 PM)
Definitely digging the indie-rock scene right now...been listening to a lot of The National, Fleet Foxes, Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend, The Decemberists, Bedouin Soundclash, and Porcupine Tree.

I need to get more into The National. I've only listened to Boxer. Arcade Fire are f***ing amazing of course, and Fleet Foxes are still my favorite album of the year. I f***ing HATE Vampire Weekend, they are quite possibly the most annoying thing I've heard all year. Can't stand that band. Interesting that you'd include Porcupine Tree in the "indie-rock scene." Haven't listened to Bedouin Soundclash, what are they like?

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 11 2008, 11:53 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 11 2008, 10:36 PM)
Definitely digging the indie-rock scene right now...been listening to a lot of The National, Fleet Foxes, Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend, The Decemberists, Bedouin Soundclash, and Porcupine Tree.

I need to get more into The National. I've only listened to Boxer. Arcade Fire are f***ing amazing of course, and Fleet Foxes are still my favorite album of the year. I f***ing HATE Vampire Weekend, they are quite possibly the most annoying thing I've heard all year. Can't stand that band. Interesting that you'd include Porcupine Tree in the "indie-rock scene." Haven't listened to Bedouin Soundclash, what are they like?

Bedouin Soundclash is reggae-rock, with some soul and ska influences. They're a Canadian three-piece (sound familiar?) with a brilliant bassist (eh?). Street Gospels and Sounding a Mosaic are both fantastic albums.

Vampire Weekend is fun, not really brilliant or challenging music, but inoffensively catchy. I like them.

I've tried so many Indie acts and have finally come to the conclusion that I don't like much from the genre. But, that's with the exception of a few bands which have been receiving some repeat exposure over here. Menomena and Blonde Redhead being two of 'em. Anyone familiar with these guys? The last Menomena album sounds like an entire collection of singles. Almost everything off that one is catchy. Also diggin' a few things out of Elliot Smith and The Bravery. Although, I don't think the latter is consider Indie, are they?

I've been on a HUGE Alan Parsons Project kick lately. music.gif  wub.gif

I've always like the production on the APP stuff more than the actual tunes. But, there's one album which I love - Turn of a Friendly Card....Is there anything else in the catalog that is on par with this one?

QUOTE (moltenlava @ Aug 12 2008, 12:38 AM)

I've tried so many Indie acts and have finally come to the conclusion that I don't like much from the genre. But, that's with the exception of a few bands which have been receiving some repeat exposure over here. Menomena and Blonde Redhead being two of 'em. Anyone familiar with these guys? The last Menomena album sounds like an entire collection of singles. Almost everything off that one is catchy. Also diggin' a few things out of Elliot Smith and The Bravery. Although, I don't think the latter is consider Indie, are they?

I've been on a HUGE Alan Parsons Project kick lately. music.gif  wub.gif

I've always like the production on the APP stuff more than the actual tunes. But, there's one album which I love - Turn of a Friendly Card....Is there anything else in the catalog that is on par with this one?

I always liked Pyramid, Eye in the Sky, I Robot, and Ammonia Avenue way better than Turn of a Friendly Card.

And The Bravery is indie rock. They're okay.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 12 2008, 02:44 AM)

I always liked Pyramid, Eye in the Sky, I Robot, and Ammonia Avenue way better than Turn of a Friendly Card.

Really? ToaFC is one of the worse ones? I heard various singles from the band and thought they were too commercial for my tastes. Then I got Friendly Card and saw some overall depth in that recording. But, you're saying that I'd be better off with the others. I heard good things about I Robot. Maybe that's the next one.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 13 2008, 12:12 AM)

I'll admit to not much interest in any Joni release sans Jaco. That kills Court and Spark.

I agree with you about Mingus; that's a bit boring, IMO. Don Juan's Reckless Daughter is also a tad boring. The Joni/Jaco album to have is Hejira; a masterpiece.

Of course, I knew about the entire lineup for the Shadows and Light stuff, but I didn't think YOU would... so I didn't mention the other guys. If you didn't know the names Michael Brecker, Don Alias, and Lyle Mays, it would've just been name-dropping on my part to mention them, so I left them out.

Believe me, bro. You most certainly WILL want Court & Spark. Hejira and C & C are the best overall albums of the 70's. I think Mystic Slipperman will second this notion. It wasn't Jaco who made Hejira great. He just added to the cosmetics and presentation. And, C & C doesn't suffer one bit for his absence. You can sell back Mingus and get that one. You won't be disappointed. What I need to be doin' is getting my mitts on that DVD. What about Michael Brecker? You interested in his work at all?

QUOTE (moltenlava @ Aug 12 2008, 01:56 AM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 12 2008, 02:44 AM)

Really? ToaFC is one of the worse ones? I heard various singles from the band and thought they were too commercial for my tastes. Then I got Friendly Card and saw some overall depth in that recording. But, you're saying that I'd be better off with the others. I heard good things about I Robot. Maybe that's the next one.

To be fair, I'm in the minority regarding my lack of enthusiasm for Turn of a Friendly Card. But the consensus is that I Robot, Eye in the Sky, and Ammonia Avenue are the best Parsons Project albums; personally, my favorite is Pyramid, but you have to get the remastered version of that because the original CD master just doesn't do it justice halfway. The remasters of I Robot and Eye in the Sky are pretty significant steps up, too.

Eve, Stereotomy, and Gaudi have some great tracks, too, but they definitely don't occupy the same tier as the four I mentioned.

Right now I'm into My Chemical Romance's The Black Parade. I've had the album since June, and have had some songs from it dating back to February on iTunes.

Yes' 90125 is also a favorite. Great album, I could listen to it every day and not get bored.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 13 2008, 05:29 PM)

To be fair, I'm in the minority regarding my lack of enthusiasm for Turn of a Friendly Card.

I actually sort of agree. It's a perfectly fine album, but I Robot is so much better. I really like "Games People Play," though.

Anyway, right now I'm really into King Crimson.

Archived