Pink Floyd vs. Yes

The Owl

Well Who do you like more.  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Well Who do you like more.

• Pink Floyd
    • Yes
    • Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

Floyd!!!! No contest . . . not even a fair comparison!!!

Floyd's contribution and influence has been MONUMENTAL!!!

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 11 2008, 07:53 PM)
Floyd!!!! No contest . . . not even a fair comparison!!!

Floyd's contribution and influence has been MONUMENTAL!!!

Hare biggrin.gif

My thoughts exactly. I never really got into Yes all that much.

This is such an unfair comparison as it's like asking someone to choose their favorite child.

Floyd has to win for me as they were brilliant at both psych AND prog, whereas Yes only prog.

Still, voting for Floyd doesn't in any way detract from my serious love of Yes. If there was an option for liking them equally, I probably would have voted for that, even if I do give Floyd the edge...

Just like many others on here, this question is a total quandary. I don't know who to vote for. I've been a Yes fu an much longer and seen them live more (3 vs 1). My first instict would be to go with Floyd, but I'd have to do an album by album comparison

Floyd (in order of favorites)

Animals

Meddle

Wish You Were Here

Dark Side Of The Moon

a big drop-off for me at this point to others

Yes

Relayer

Close To The Edge

Fragile

Yes Album

Tales FTO

not so big a drop-off at this point to others

I'll take Animals over Relayer, but give the nod to CTTE and Fragile. Dark Side over Yes album. From there, Yes takes over.

Therefore, Yes gets my vote.

Vastly different styles and approaches to the way they make music.

Both amazing and i cant choose . Skill wise obviously Yes would get the nod.

Floyd had the whole atmospheric production quality to them.

Yes threw everything at you with there songs.

I listen to them for different reasons.

They both are amazing!!

I cant make a decision.

nearly impossible choice - both bands are in my "top tier" of 6 bands (Rush, Zep, Krimson, Yes, Floyd, PT/SW) I could see them as nearly equal in the 70's (Meddle through Animals and Fragile through Going for the One are full of world class albums), and even in the 80's (90125 vs. Momentary Lapse fairly close), but sadly I feel that Yes has somewhat trampled their heritage by continuing on with the name and several inferior releases. Thus, went with Floyd.

p.s. I've seen all 3 bands in this poll live (PF in 87 and 94, Yes in 87, 90, 94, 99, 04, 2011, ABWH in 89)

Edited by cygnify

Tough vote.

Floyd, by a hair.

I haven't missed a Floyd, Gilmour, Waters US tour ( in the NY area ) since 1973.

I bypassed YES tours late 70's/ early 80's . Don't Kill the Whale ? I skipped that one.

Edited by custom55

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vV8QrtVEtuo/UnNfnFJj01I/AAAAAAAABxo/Nkomelgjaw4/s1600/Rick+Wakeman++Yes.jpg

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Chris-Squire-620x413.jpg

Jon_Anderson_001.jpg

http://www.mitkadem.co.il/files/artists/yes/yes_stevehowe74.jpg

http://solentmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/LAT_DRUMMER051009_67027a_8col.jpg

Alan_White.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

I can think of 8 Yes albums that I still enjoy to this day.

I can think of maybe 4 or 5 Floyd ones.

Even though Yes has become a bit of a joke in the past few years, their older material is pretty friggin good, and fun to listen to.

PF, not so much, although Piper is a great 60s pop/psych album.

Yes!

PF shows in the 70's were more mind blogging than Yes shows ( >visuals and quad sound ). Both bands gave a great concert experience but PF had an edge.

Another reason I voted Floyd.

I really go back and forth on this.

On the whole, Floyd were the more consistent and high quality band. For a time, about a whole decade, you couldn't go wrong with any of the groups latest projects, they were all their own kinds of masterworks. Dark Side to The Wall is a tough run to beat, even for the biggest bands of all time (even the Beatles and the Stones have a hard time comparing to that run). However, they're work, even at its best, has always felt a little bit less personal to me than Yes. I adore Dark Side Of The Moon, but so does pretty much everybody. When you want to introduce someone to music or albums, very few people are going to argue with DSOTM or WYWH as an entry point. That may sound like high praise for Floyd (and it is), but it's also a little uninviting in a way. Floyd becomes the cliche answer, the critic's choice. And while I shouldn't really care what others think when it comes to my own enjoyment of music, some of pop culture and society's ideas are just too loud to ignore.

Yes, on the other hand, are both renown and berated by even their own fans for following their every whim. In many ways they were far more ambitious than Floyd, and in many departments one could argue they were more talented (do I really want to decide between Howe and Gilmore? no). Perhaps they produced fewer masterpieces than Floyd...or perhaps they produced more. It honestly depends on who you ask. Critics never ever saw eye to eye with them, but the young prog rock audience adored them, so they were free to do whatever they pleased for a while. Now, there is the issue of consistency with Yes. Even some of their best albums are prone to severe quality and quantity issues (Fragile and Tales seem to have opposite problems, but both can be crippling). Even die hard Yes fans can tend to admit there are only two or three albums that are INARGUABLY great, though they will certainly have their personal favorites. Every album seems to have a vice about it: "The Yes Album is pre-Wakeman and still not quite the Yes sound, Fragile has too many throwaway tracks, Tales is TOO MUCH, Relayer is too weird and loud, Awake is AOR, 90125 is a sell out!" And those are some of their most beloved albums. Overall, Yes is a harder band to love than Floyd, and not necessarily more rewarding than Floyd, but that feeling you get when you hear strokes of genius come together on one of their albums to whisk you off to another world as vivid as the Roger Dean artwork on the cover...that's what brings you back every time, no matter what anyone else says.

So this is very tough. Floyd is the sensible choice really, but Yes is so much more fun.

Today, I'll vote Yes.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

On the whole, Floyd were the more consistent and high quality band. For a time, about a whole decade, you couldn't go wrong with any of the groups latest projects, they were all their own kinds of masterworks. Dark Side to The Wall is a tough run to beat, even for the biggest bands of all time (even the Beatles and the Stones have a hard time comparing to that run). However, they're work, even at its best, has always felt a little bit less personal to me than Yes. I adore Dark Side Of The Moon, but so does pretty much everybody. When you want to introduce someone to music or albums, very few people are going to argue with DSOTM or WYWH as an entry point. That may sound like high praise for Floyd (and it is), but it's also a little uninviting in a way. Floyd becomes the cliche answer, the critic's choice. And while I shouldn't really care what others think when it comes to my own enjoyment of music, some of pop culture and society's ideas are just too loud to ignore.

Yes, on the other hand, are both renown and berated by even their own fans for following their every whim. In many ways they were far more ambitious than Floyd, and in many departments one could argue they were more talented (do I really want to decide between Howe and Gilmore? no). Perhaps they produced fewer masterpieces than Floyd...or perhaps they produced more. It honestly depends on who you ask. Critics never ever saw eye to eye with them, but the young prog rock audience adored them, so they were free to do whatever they pleased for a while. Now, there is the issue of consistency with Yes. Even some of their best albums are prone to severe quality and quantity issues (Fragile and Tales seem to have opposite problems, but both can be crippling). Even die hard Yes fans can tend to admit there are only two or three albums that are INARGUABLY great, though they will certainly have their personal favorites. Every album seems to have a vice about it: "The Yes Album is pre-Wakeman and still not quite the Yes sound, Fragile has too many throwaway tracks, Tales is TOO MUCH, Relayer is too weird and loud, Awake is AOR, 90125 is a sell out!" And those are some of their most beloved albums. Overall, Yes is a harder band to love than Floyd, and not necessarily more rewarding than Floyd, but that feeling you get when you hear strokes of genius come together on one of their albums to whisk you off to another world as vivid as the Roger Dean artwork on the cover...that's what brings you back every time, no matter what anyone else says.

So this is very tough. Floyd is the sensible choice really, but Yes is so much more fun.

Today, I'll vote Yes.

I liked PF when they were into improvisation, up to Meddle/Live at Pompeii. Then the tempos bogged down and Waters bile rose.

Saw them in '87 and was rather bored, despite the cool quad sound and exploding beds and such. Everything seemed too meticulously worked out for my taste. Like a ponderously slow Steely Dan!

And I loved the shit out of those early Yes albums. Peter Banks is an underrated guitarist. Too bad they buried his guitar with the needless orchestrations of Time and a Word. Relayer didn't float my boat, despite "To Be Over" - a great, great tune.

Edited by vaportrailer
  • Like 1

Today, I'll vote Yes.

I liked PF when they were into improvisation, up to Meddle/Live at Pompeii. Then the tempos bogged down and Waters bile rose.

Saw them in '87 and was rather bored, despite the cool quad sound and exploding beds and such. Everything seemed too meticulously worked out for my taste. Like a ponderously slow Steely Dan!

And I loved the shit out of those early Yes albums. Peter Banks is an underrated guitarist. Too bad they buried his guitar with the needless orchestrations of Time and a Word. Relayer didn't float my boat, despite "To Be Over" - a great, great tune.

Aw man... I love Relayer! But I agree with your comment on Peter Banks. Not the virtuosic player maybe Howe was but Banks created the Yes guitar sound.

Yes for me!

Never got into Floyd, but I admire their work. Roger Waters playing is superb.

• Like 2