NWA

tangy

Not sure how many people here will agree, but yeah, it's a rap classic for sure. Best song is Dopeman. Ice Cube murders that song, they never were the same after he left. The 8-Ball remix is one of my favorites too.

Not the world's biggest rap fan but I do have a thing for old-school. I thank Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for getting me to like the old kind, al ot of today's rap just doesn't seem that great to me.

Wasn't the song "Express Yourself" off of that album? Or at least, wasn't it by NWA? unsure.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 25 2008, 08:24 PM)
What a masterpiece. What a vibe. What energy. Used to wear this out on cassette

In my estimation this record has aged well........... discuss.........1022.gif

Straight outta compton

f**k tha police

Until you need them. z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Mojo Risin' @ Jul 26 2008, 02:31 AM)
As much as I bash rap and new music, I actually respect original rap.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 25 2008, 10:20 PM)
Not the world's biggest rap fan but I do have a thing for old-school. I thank Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for getting me to like the old kind, al ot of today's rap just doesn't seem that great to me.

Wasn't the song "Express Yourself" off of that album? Or at least, wasn't it by NWA? unsure.gif

Yes it is.

They lifted the name and sampled heavily from an funk record from Charles Wright. I have to admit that I thought it was a James Brown tune.....but just figured out when I searched for it on youtube and could not find it.

Pretty sure the original music is being used currently in a car commercial.

Express Yourself by Charles Wright

I loved that album...still do. And yes, "Dopeman" was the best!

I'm surprised and glad to see people here who like rap and hip-hop (no one on Yesfans.com did). I love 'em, but not the popular stuff. I prefer old school and underground, especially when there's social relevance to it.

QUOTE (Imperatrix @ Aug 17 2008, 03:23 PM)
I'm surprised and glad to see people here who like rap and hip-hop (no one on Yesfans.com did). I love 'em, but not the popular stuff. I prefer old school and underground, especially when there's social relevance to it.

Same here.

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 25 2008, 07:24 PM)

Straight outta compton

Great work... a classic gangsta rap tune...

Have you heard Nina Gordon's version??? 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushbass @ Aug 17 2008, 07:50 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 25 2008, 07:24 PM)

Straight outta compton

Great work... a classic gangsta rap tune...

Have you heard Nina Gordon's version??? 1022.gif

thats great! 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 25 2008, 10:20 PM)

Express Yourself is actually on that album. I thought it was on the 100 Miles and Runnin' EP until I just checked. I completely forgot that it was on SOOC. Really sounds to Poppish to be on that first full-length. The follow up album was also great. Might wanna check into that one too. The first two Ice Cube discs and the debut Easy-E release also kicked much ass. Public Enemy was the other hardcore, hip-hop crew from that era worth exploring.

bumper.gif

I bought the 20th Anniversary edition about a week ago, and I'm listening to it for the second time. It's really a great album, probably better than most newer rap I've heard. Favorite tracks: "Straight Outta Compton", F**k Tha Police", "Express Yourself". If you're a fan of rap, I'd recommend this album, and if you have it already, pick up the 20th Anniversary Edition (if you don't have it already).

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Mar 6 2009, 11:00 PM)
bumper.gif

I bought the 20th Anniversary edition about a week ago, and I'm listening to it for the second time. It's really a great album, probably better than most newer rap I've heard. Favorite tracks: "Straight Outta Compton", F**k Tha Police", "Express Yourself". If you're a fan of rap, I'd recommend this album, and if you have it already, pick up the 20th Anniversary Edition (if you don't have it already).

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

they say rap n metal can never mix............................

QUOTE (rotting @ Mar 7 2009, 10:06 AM)

it seemed for a awhile it might but it never really developed into anything much.

I guess the best example is Public Enemy & Anthrax- Bring tha noise collaboration. ( I saw them do this live in Denver)

PE also sampled Slayer for its Takes a nations of millions........release.

In some ways the "growls" in some metal songs are more rap like than singing IMO????????

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 9 2009, 01:30 PM)

it seemed for a awhile it might but it never really developed into anything much.

I guess the best example is Public Enemy & Anthrax- Bring tha noise collaboration. ( I saw them do this live in Denver)

In some ways the "growls" in some metal songs are more rap like than singing IMO????????

you didnt get the joke did you............

QUOTE (rotting @ Mar 10 2009, 09:44 AM)

I guess not.

confused13.gif Would you care to enlighten me?

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 10 2009, 10:06 AM)

I guess not.

I just quoted the actual song " Im the man " by anthrax. Ya know the lyric they say rap and metal can never mix and all of you can suck my...............

its really silly stuff....... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rotting @ Mar 10 2009, 10:17 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 10 2009, 10:06 AM)

I guess not.

I just quoted the actual song " Im the man " by anthrax. Ya know the lyric they say rap and metal can never mix and all of you can suck my...............

its really silly stuff....... biggrin.gif

Awesome! Just checked out that song. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljB4kYSnxHQ

I was never that big into Anthrax, I think I only owned one disc, where they covered the Joe Jackson tune- Got the time. Might have to try to dig it up and give it another listen.

Archived