The Dark Knight Reactions Thread

The Owl

On a side note. I would like to personally thank Christopher Nolan for finally providing the cure for Joel Schumacher, and being able to wash the taste Batman and Robin out of our mouths.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 21 2008, 01:00 AM)
On a side note. I would like to personally thank Christopher Nolan for finally providing the cure for Joel Schumacher, and being able to wash the taste Batman and Robin out of our mouths.

Boy let me second that..! Not only did he restore a dead (and embarrassing) franchise, he also bettered it all around.

Whoever is chosen will not be the obvious choice. The casting of Bale, Oldman, Murphy, and Ledger all bear this out. I remember when Ledger's name was announced the reaction was, "really? He's a good actor, but the Joker?"

Whatever they're doing, they need to KEEP doing it.

I wonder what we'd think of Heath Ledger's performance if hadn't died before the movie came out?

Don't get me wrong, his performance was truly stunning. The last performance I remember being this enthusiastic about was Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York. Every time he was on screen I was absolutely mesmerized by him, and it was the same for Heath Ledger. It was one of those roles, like Charlize Theron in Monster, where if no one told me it was him, I never EVER would have guessed.

I can't help but wonder, however, what we would think of his performance if he were still alive. I think I'd still be as enthusiastic, but is it possible to separate our knowledge of his death from his performance? For me, it made the performance bittersweet in a way it wouldn't have otherwise and it certainly colored my perceptions while watching it. I'm not saying I would have enjoyed it less had he not died, in fact perhaps I enjoyed it even more because I knew it would be the last I'd see of him and I knew the performance had to be savored even more deeply than it would have otherwise. There is a certain irony in him playing such a key role in a tragic story where his life ended early in tragedy.

It just struck me as an interesting perspective and I'd be curious what others thought...

It's a good question.

I think it's probably kicked the box office in the arse a bit, people curious and all. But the performance is genuinely great and I think he'd be hearing these glowing reviews just the same if he was still alive. Still, you can't think it'll have a positive effect on the box office, as crappy as it sounds to put it that way. I do know some folks who are just curious what his last full film is like.

Sucks he won't be around for a sequel. sad.gif I'd sure love another film of this guy as that character.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 21 2008, 01:01 PM)
I wonder what we'd think of Heath Ledger's performance if hadn't died before the movie came out?

Don't get me wrong, his performance was truly stunning. The last performance I remember being this enthusiastic about was Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York. Every time he was on screen I was absolutely mesmerized by him, and it was the same for Heath Ledger. It was one of those roles, like Charlize Theron in Monster, where if no one told me it was him, I never EVER would have guessed.

I can't help but wonder, however, what we would think of his performance if he were still alive. I think I'd still be as enthusiastic, but is it possible to separate our knowledge of his death from his performance? For me, it made the performance bittersweet in a way it wouldn't have otherwise and it certainly colored my perceptions while watching it. I'm not saying I would have enjoyed it less had he not died, in fact perhaps I enjoyed it even more because I knew it would be the last I'd see of him and I knew the performance had to be savored even more deeply than it would have otherwise. There is a certain irony in him playing such a key role in a tragic story where his life ended early in tragedy.

It just struck me as an interesting perspective and I'd be curious what others thought...

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 21 2008, 02:01 PM)

Good post Gary, I know exactly where your coming from. It was hard not to think about Heath being gone while watching his brilliant performance. I found myself sad at times while he was on the screen when the thought of his death creeped into my thoughts.

I will say another thing. Christian Baile is Batman ! 1022.gif I can no longer picture anyone else playing Batman.

I give this movie the highest rating for a movie of its genre possible ! It was all that and a bag of chips ! Just a brilliant film all around.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 21 2008, 11:14 AM)
It's a good question.

I think it's probably kicked the box office in the arse a bit, people curious and all.  But the performance is genuinely great and I think he'd be hearing these glowing reviews just the same if he was still alive.  Still, you can't think it'll have a positive effect on the box office, as crappy as it sounds to put it that way.  I do know some folks who are just curious what his last full film is like.

Sucks he won't be around for a sequel.  sad.gif  I'd sure love another film of this guy as that character.

I have to admit that Ledger's death did heighten my curiousity about the movie. The talk of how incredible his performance was also made me curious, but would the hype about his performance have been at the fever pitch it was had he lived? Somehow I doubt it - at least not QUITE at the same level.

In the end I really saw the movie because of how well it was reviewed, and I have to think that it would have been reviewed at somewhat the same level if Ledger had lived. I mean, a great movie is a great movie no matter the extenuating circumstances surrounding it, right? I won't go see just any comic book movie unless the consensus of reviews are pretty glowing.

For example, I saw Iron Man, Hellboy II and The Dark Knight, but thus far I've skipped The Hulk and Hancock. I'll likely see them eventually on DVD or tv, but obviously it illustrates the point that I do pay attention to reviews, and makes me think I would likely have seen The Dark Knight either way. Not everyone pays attention to reviews like I do, though, and I'm sure there are many out there where morbid curiosity pushed them over the top in their decision to see it...

Edited by rushgoober

It was more than I expected. Being a true Batman fan, I was thrilled to see that the movie did such justice to the character of The Joker.

The cell phone thing was a bit too over the top, but we're talking super-heros here. Even though Bats is just a man, it's always been alluded that he's got some meta-human abilities, ie: his detective skills and his ability to re-rig available gadgetry to suit his needs. So while this was far-fetched, being a long time fan... i had no problem with it.

Harvey's story was awesome. I thought it was a bigger part of the movie than even Joker. Much of the dialouge between Bats and Joker and Harvey was nearly straight out of the books. Harvey was Bruce's hero. This made that apparant. His fall is a tragedy. I hope they haven't killed him off. He is such a big part of the future of Batman. Especially if they ever want to introduce Robin into the new franchise.

I was ecstatic that CeeJ bought me tickets on opening day. I was NOT dissapointed in any way. The movie kicked major ass. yes.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 21 2008, 02:47 PM)
Harvey's story was awesome.  I thought it was a bigger part of the movie than even Joker.  Much of the dialouge between Bats and Joker and Harvey was nearly straight out of the books.  Harvey was Bruce's hero.  This made that apparant.  His fall is a tragedy.  I hope they haven't killed him off.  He is such a big part of the future of Batman.  Especially if they ever want to introduce Robin into the new franchise.

I heard that Christian Bale had said that if they try to introduce Robin while he is involved, he'll protest. Just something I heard...can't provide a source.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 21 2008, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 21 2008, 02:47 PM)
Harvey's story was awesome.  I thought it was a bigger part of the movie than even Joker.  Much of the dialouge between Bats and Joker and Harvey was nearly straight out of the books.  Harvey was Bruce's hero.  This made that apparant.  His fall is a tragedy.  I hope they haven't killed him off.  He is such a big part of the future of Batman.  Especially if they ever want to introduce Robin into the new franchise.

I heard that Christian Bale had said that if they try to introduce Robin while he is involved, he'll protest. Just something I heard...can't provide a source.

Yes this was the quote:

"If Robin crops up in one of the new Batman films, I'll be chaining myself up somewhere and refusing to go to work."

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 21 2008, 02:55 PM)
I hope he means it.  tongue.gif  Please...NO ROBIN.

I also hope he means it. Robin maybe worked on the panel but I don't wanna see him sniffin' around this franchise.

And, I just missed the Talk of the Nation on NPR but I caught the last minute or two and they were discussing TDK...anyone happen to hear it?

Edited by theredtamasrule

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 21 2008, 08:51 AM)
I'm intrigued about the rumors of Philip Seymour Hoffman playing The Penguin as an arms dealer.

Nolan has stated that he has absolutely no interest in doing Penguin or Catwoman in the next film. I'm hoping for DD Lewis or Paul Bettany as the Riddler.

Dwayne Johnson as Bane. tongue.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 21 2008, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 21 2008, 02:55 PM)
I hope he means it.  tongue.gif  Please...NO ROBIN.

Common, You know Chris O'Donnell needs work rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Oh GOD no! ph34r.gif

LOL z7shysterical.gif