The Dark Knight Reactions Thread

The Owl

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw it last night. Not much to say that P-d didn't say in his review, except that I think it and Batman Begins are the best superhero films ever made, and that these two films have made the Burton and Shumacher films completely irrelevant. Like they never happened.

CAUTION: SPOILER BELOW

One nit-picky criticism, though. Naturally, there's a certain amount of suspension of disbelief required to enjoy these superhero films (as with most action and fantasy films), and each film establishes its own level of plausibility, ranging from "I could almost see these things happening in real life" to "No f**king way, but who cares!" Once that level is set, you ride along with it and expect the movie to not deviate too far from it.

Nolan managed to inject a great deal of realism into these two films, making Batman and his toys as believable as possible. The way the technology looked and worked and the way it was explained, it all had an air of plausibility to it (the military origins of the Batmobile/Tumbler and other gadgets, for instance). TDK maintained that level of plausibility established in the first film -- until the big cell phone/sonar tracking scene. This is just my opinion, but I had a hard time swallowing that technology based on the standard of realism set previously. I had a hard time believing that EVERY cell phone in the city could be linked to video monitors, and that Lucius Fox could pinpoint The Joker's exact location using all that.

Again, I know it's a superhero movie and it's not supposed to be realistic, but that technology just seemed a little hokey to me as compared to the "realism" that had been established. It seemed like something we'd see in the first four films. Just a nit-picky observation. It didn't detract from my enjoyment of the film. No stars were deducted. wink.gif

I think it and Batman Begins are the best superhero films ever made

I so could not agree more. They're the platinum standard, easily. trink39.gif What a fine pair of comic book films.

I know what you mean about the little things that might've been better that ultimately come down to our required suspension of disbelief. I guess this film is so realistic on so many levels that you hate to see it get even slightly derailed by avoidable details.

SPOILERS APPLY:

One that I think could've been done better, and it's a nitpick and in no real way hampered my enjoyment, was I think once Dent's transformation takes place, I'd have liked to have seen him in more physical pain. The point is made that he's refusing meds, etc....so really, with injuries that bad, and they're clearly AWFUL, he should be almost unconsolably racked with ungodly pain.

Personally, I'd have shown him popping pills or injecting himself with meds (even directly into the wounds) to deal with it...had his physical discomfort match his inner hurt. Because he never acts the least bit uncomfortable and I find that a bit hard to believe. He even speaks normally. I'd have this spit-engorged, gross display of him talking in intense pain...(like listening to John Merrick talk in The Elephant Man). I might have also had his head wrapped for most of his scenes and had him reveal his disfigurement to Gordon and Batman at the end....thereby really dramatizing his unmasking.

Again, nitpicks...but I didn't fully invest in the gravity of Dent's injuries because he didn't act hurt.

SPOILER ALERT: ^^^ That bugged me as well. And like you, it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the film.

Harvey's injury was severe. He literally lost half his face. It would have hurt like a bitch, especially without painkillers, and yet he showed NO discomfort once he left the hospital. Yep, that was a little weird.

That said, the special effects to make him look that way were top notch. He looked disturbingly great. In fact, whatever CGI effects the movie contained were seamless with the live action.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 20 2008, 04:31 PM)
SPOILER ALERT: ^^^ That bugged me as well. And like you, it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the film.

Harvey's injury was severe. He literally lost half his face. It would have hurt like a bitch, especially without painkillers, and yet he showed NO discomfort once he left the hospital. Yep, that was a little weird.

That said, the special effects to make him look that way were top notch. He looked disturbingly great. In fact, whatever CGI effects the movie contained were seamless with the live action.

Fully agree, both in general (FX) in the case of Dent's injury. Very nice makeup/prosthetic/whateverthehelltheydid work.

Edited by Presto-digitation

I just got back from the theater...

WOW! That's what a movie should be: fun, entertaining, superb acting and more than just a little bleak with a ray of hope at the end...maybe.

Others have spouted superlatives and I can agree with P-D's analysis of TDK. Ledger was unbelieveable and what a f&cking shame that he won't be able to reprise the role. The moments between The Joker & Batman were soooo good. They prolly could have whittled out Dent's role just to make more room for the Batman/Joker conflict. But I see why Nolan didn't.

And, yes, the cell phone gobbeldy-gook was over the top even for this movie and not needed but oh, well, if that's my only complaint then so be it. Well, that and the fact that his Bat-Phone-Eyes...kinda goofy.

I don't know about the rest of you but who Batman chose to rescue surprised the shit out of me and the results left me quite stunned. I literally couldn't believe it happened. That's ballsy filmmaking right there to shake up the audience...I guarantee no one saw it coming.

Great movie and I consider it $7.50 well spent.

We've been back from the theater about 45 minutes and I think I'm still like, wow!

I think one could make a case for it being one of the best films ever made - Top 10.

Yeah, Heath is what sends it over the top but there are so many great things about it.

Excellent film!

It's a comic book movie, so the cell phone/sonar stuff didn't bother me anymore than a microwave emitter that evaporates all the water in a person's body with contentrated waves. Again, it's a comic book movie. Every comic book movie has implausible stuff like that, so why would Nolan's Batman movies be any different? Is it any worse than the fusion experiment in Spider Man 2? It's a freakin' miniture sun, for Gods' sake! Or Superman lifting a continent made of kryptonite or turning back time by reversing the rotation of the earth? Also, the sonar was just shown in a visually interesting way so it would be cool to look at and give us the idea that Batman had to adapt to a different way of seeing things...seeing things like a real bat does.

Regarding Dent's injury, and it may sound corny, but I never questioned the physical pain he should have been in because the emotional pain canceled it out. He lost everything he believed in, so that pain was more unbearable to him. He was insane.

It's almost 24 hours after seeing The Dark Knight and I'm still thinking about it!

Edited by ReRushed

I haven't read through this tread yet, but having just come back from seeing it, let me just say that it was truly amazing. yes.gif applaudit.gif

Heath Ledger has gotta be a lock for an Oscar on this one. Truly phenomenal movie - it absolutely transcended the genre. notworthy.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 20 2008, 05:44 PM)
It's a comic book movie, so the cell phone/sonar stuff didn't bother me anymore than a microwave emitter that evaporates all the water in a person's body with contentrated waves. Again, it's a comic book movie. Every comic book movie has implausible stuff like that, so why would Nolan's Batman movies be any different? Is it any worse than the fusion experiment in Spider Man 2? It's a freakin' miniture sun, for Gods' sake! Or Superman lifting a continent made of kryptonite or turning back time by reversing the rotation of the earth? Also, the sonar was just shown in a visually interesting way so it would be cool to look at and give us the idea that Batman had to adapt to a different way of seeing things...seeing things like a real bat does.

Regarding Dent's injury, and it may sound corny, but I never questioned the physical pain he should have been in because the emotional pain canceled it out. He lost everything he believed in, so that pain was more unbearable to him. He was insane.

It's almost 24 hours after seeing The Dark Knight and I'm still thinking about it!

You make great points here and that's why those things don't bother me either, even if I make a minor mental note....(I might've done it this way instead of that). Good call on the emotional cancelling out the physical....and I fully agree that the cell phone thing is as plausible as the microwave emitter.

All said, I'm really glad TDK didn't have a "mad scientist" feel to it. I loved Begins, but the plot to destroy the city/the world angle is a bit tired....(nuclear weapons, poisons, etc....been and done). Nice to see a comic book film subsisting on a muderous scumbag without some wankin' piece of technology, ready to unleash it on Gotham.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 19 2008, 01:32 AM)
I loved it. Thought it was better than Batman Begins.

Oh Jesus, like 10x better than Batman Begins.

BIG SPOILERS BELOW!!

Both villans were PERFECT. I really thought that with as good as the Joker was that Two Face was going to be some minor throw-away character, or introduce him at the very end to set up the third movie but boy was I glad they did it this way instead. Most chilling scene: Two Face holding the gun to Gordon's son's head. To see TF's slide to the "dark side" was done perfectly.

I really liked the plans in this movie. What I mean is, both the Joker and Batman had awesome schemes. Joker turning himself in to collect the bounty, the bomb inside the fat guy, Batman breaking into the building in China to capture that guy.. all great!

What a good movie, how sad they actually have it set up so that the Joker could've returned too... I was talking to my buddy who saw it with me last night and we both think they should never have another Joker in another Batman movie ever again. Nobody, I mean nobody could top Ledger's performance. I thought it was all hype because of his death this year, but it's not. His was the best villan I've ever seen in any Batman movie, all 6 of them. Nicholson's joker is... um, a joke in comparison.

==

The ONLY thing I didn't like in the movie, and I really tried not to let it bother me, was that Bale makes Batman's voice WAY too gruff and low. It's hard to understand what he's saying sometimes. That's such a small thing to nit pick, but that stood out to me in a big way.

==

END SPOILERS

My superhero top list so far:

1) Superman 2

2) Superman

3) Iron Man

4) Dark Knight

5) Spider Man 2

6) X-Men 2

7) The Incredibles

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 19 2008, 07:50 AM)
It's quite simply the best acting performance in a comic book film to date and he invests heavily in this part.

He was incredible, but for me nobody will top Christopher Reeve as both Superman and Clark Kent. He was just made for the role, as is Ledger for the Joker.

I agree with your accessment of his portrayal for the most part, and I think we have a near shoo-in for a supporting actor Oscar. It'd be criminal for them not to seriously consider it.

QUOTE (Albone2112 @ Jul 20 2008, 07:41 PM)
All I have to say is, this is the best sequel to a movie since 'The Empire Strikes Back' hit theaters 28 years ago.

That's Pushing it.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 20 2008, 10:30 PM)
QUOTE (Albone2112 @ Jul 20 2008, 07:41 PM)
All I have to say is, this is the best sequel to a movie since 'The Empire Strikes Back' hit theaters 28 years ago.

That's Pushing it.

Not really.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 20 2008, 04:01 PM)
I don't know about the rest of you but who Batman chose to rescue surprised the shit out of me and the results left me quite stunned. I literally couldn't believe it happened. That's ballsy filmmaking right there to shake up the audience...I guarantee no one saw it coming.

Really? I thought it was obvious that he would choose to rescue the love of his life, Rachel. I can't believe you think he would have chosen Dent instead.

The more I put aside Ledger's Joker and think about the other performances the more I realize how fantastic they are. Everybody rose to the occasion. Think about it. I don't think there was a bad performance in the movie.

And the body bag scene is really haunting me. Man that's f@#ked up! One of the greatest villians of all time, no doubt.

"We're gonna have a try out!"

The more I think about how the Joker manipulates people, coupled with the well documented corruption in Gotham City, the more plausible (within the movie, of coarse) the Joker's terrorism becomes.

Oh, and the shot of him walking away from the hospital! Pure magic.

Edited by ReRushed

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 20 2008, 09:32 PM)

Really? I thought it was obvious that he would choose to rescue the love of his life, Rachel. I can't believe you think he would have chosen Dent instead.

He didn't choose, the Joker switched the addresses of where they were so he would go after the wrong person, he intended to go after Rachel.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 20 2008, 09:32 PM)

After reading SteelersFreak1's post I realize I must have missed that point about the Joker mixing up the addresses. I thought Batman really went to rescue Dent and was shocked but that makes more sense. Nevermind. Carry on.

Edited by theredtamasrule