A question regarding Amstel

mazyyz

Why isn't regular Amstel offered in the states? ...only Amstel Light.

When I was in Amsterdam in 2001, we went to a few Amstel bars and that beer was amazing. It was very clean and refreshing. It was much better than the light version.

I ask because recently there have been commercials on TV advertising Amstel Light but showing the Amstel bars in Amsterdam...and it got me to thinking why no Amstel in the US.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jul 10 2008, 06:12 AM)
Why isn't regular Amstel offered in the states? ...only Amstel Light.

When I was in Amsterdam in 2001, we went to a few Amstel bars and that beer was amazing. It was very clean and refreshing. It was much better than the light version.

I ask because recently there have been commercials on TV advertising Amstel Light but showing the Amstel bars in Amsterdam...and it got me to thinking why no Amstel in the US.

Isn't Amstel owned by Heineken? I would think that they don't want to compete against themselves.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 11 2008, 05:13 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jul 10 2008, 06:12 AM)
Why isn't regular Amstel offered in the states?  ...only Amstel Light.

When I was in Amsterdam in 2001, we went to a few Amstel bars and that beer was amazing.  It was very clean and refreshing.  It was much better than the light version.

Isn't Amstel owned by Heineken? I would think that they don't want to compete against themselves.

They may be, but why would they be competing against themselves if they own Amstel? That's like Proctor and Gambel only putting out one product. It's all profit.

Edited by mazyyz