3 rush songs that really drag!!!!

reani14

Holy Shit! I read halfway through this thread before I realized it's nearly 12 years old! Anyway...there are some songs I'm not that crazy about *cough-Dog Years-cough*. But the only song that really drags for me is Ceiling Unlimited. "Winding like an ancient river, this song never ends..."

Ceiling Unlimited is standout for me from Vapor Trails, but I do agree it could be a bit shorter to please my interest

I know I'm going to get shot for this but..

Xanadu. I think the beginning could get cut down a little. I like the lyrics and everything, the introduction with the bird sounds and percussion and such can get shorted down a minute or so. Don't get me wrong, I love the beginning with all the elements of sound, I just don't want to listen to such a long introduction.

The reason why this version of 'Xanadu' exists below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3bB2IkBHiE

I’m reading through this thread, collecting names and reporting to the authorities.

I don't think, even in Britain, making obvious statements is a crime.

I’m reading through this thread, collecting names and reporting to the authorities.

I don't think, even in Britain, making obvious statements is a crime.

*obvious opinions :]

From a 2015 interview that Geddy and Alex did with Classic Rock magazine here.

Here's Geddy's portion of the interview.

Are you embarrassed by any of the music that Rush have made?

Some of the early stuff makes me cringe a little. I hear a song and think: That was so Genesis-influenced. Like, what the f**k were we thinking? It’s so derivative. And the long instrumental things that we were doing back in the seventies, some of it seems so pretentious.

Long, instrumental, pretentious songs – that’s what I call ‘proper Rush’.

Okay [laughs]. I can see that. I have friends, musician guys, who say to me all the time that after Hemispheres there was nothing else of interest to them. So when you make that statement it makes total sense to me. In their minds that was proper Rush. And you saw that kind of thing in our documentary. I loved the fact that Trent Reznor got more interested in us post-keyboards, yet [Rage Against The Machine bassist] Tim Commerford hated anything post-keyboards. That kind of says it all.

The pretentiousness in those early songs has a lot to do with the lyrics that Neil wrote. Perhaps most pretentious of all was Xanadu, its lyrics inspired by the Coleridge poem Kubla Khan.

‘I have dined on honeydew’ [laughs]. Try singing that! Try singing about Kubla Khan, for Christ’s sake.

Whereas Neil says at the beginning of this 2011 interview with Strombo below, that it was 'boyish enthusiasm' of how the band was adventurous in the long songs below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWyeMA78EEk

• Like 2

Madrigal and Rivendell, for sure. And several later career mid-tempo tunes like Speed of Love, Larger Bowl, Good News First, and that Clockwork song about luring ships to the rocks...

Madrigal and Rivendell, for sure. And several later career mid-tempo tunes like Speed of Love, Larger Bowl, Good News First, and that Clockwork song about luring ships to the rocks...

The Wreckers?

The Wreckers?

Yep, that's the one.

I found that “Limbo” really drags on me and “The way The Wind Blows” “Secret Touch” which is odd cause I really dig Vapor Trails

awww, those are two of my favorite songs!!!

• Like 1

Hemispheres title track even though I like it. It's still rather repetitive. Animate also maybe.

And I could listen to the first side of Hemispheres all day long!!

• Like 1

Hemispheres title track even though I like it. It's still rather repetitive. Animate also maybe.

Me too. I even like the last section with the acoustic guitar.

awww, those are two of my favorite songs!!!

I like both of those quite a bit, too.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Me too. I even like the last section with the acoustic guitar.

Hahaha...EVEN the last section, huh?

Roll The Bones,every second of it.Worst song they have ever done.

Can't even come close to agreeing

Yes, I reserve that distinction for You Bet Your Life...or maybe something from Test for Echo. But Roll the Bones is a great tune.

Edited by Blue J